Coursera - Free Online Python Class

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Roxie
Regular
Projects: Assess K, Mizuchi
Organization: Aikasa Collective, Altabe Studio
itch: aikasacolle

Coursera - Free Online Python Class

#1 Post by Roxie »

I noticed a while back, there was a need for a coding workshop to help newcomers to Renpy/Python. Coursera is offering a free online course to teach basic game programming in Python, starting on April 15th for 9 weeks. https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython and the syllabus http://www.codeskulptor.org/coursera/syllabus.html

I've personally taken the class myself last October when it was offered and I felt it was a really fun and helpful course, so I wanted to pass it along. The class is probably too easy for experienced programmers, but it can help build a good foundation for newbies.
ImageImage
Assess K (VN Adventure Game) LSF Thread | Mizuchi (GxG VN) LSF Thread | Honest Critique
[Proofreader, Beta-Tester]
Razz Art Visual - Starlight Vega [Co-writer]
Roseverte - Cafe-0, Duplicity, East Tower, How to Take Off Your Mask; Bakufu - Love Sniper
Zeiva Inc. - Train of Afterlife, OASE, X-Note, Area-X, Voices from the Sea, Natural - Beyond Nature, Dragon Essence, Anicon - Cat

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

Re: Coursera - Free Online Python Class

#2 Post by Kitten the Cat »

This is great! I find that I spend a lot of time on the Python docs searching for how to use basic functions. I probably need a formal course in order to drill it in my head...

I just remembered that Codeacademy also offers a Python track.
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#3 Post by xavimat »

Thanks, Roxie and Kitten the Cat. I was wondering where to find python courses... and here they are.
I'm already subscribed.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

icecheetah
Regular

#4 Post by icecheetah »

I did this course too but I found it was a bit... teaching to the test I guess? They create this framework called Codeskulptor which is really good for teaching the basics but as someone who has already dabbled in Pygame as well I found that the more advanced stuff was really only applicable if you wanted to use Codeskulptor. I tried to do the assignments using pygame and ordinary python and I found that I just couldn't.
But I might have found it more useful if I was just beginning. It might be set up that way to simplify complex things and give you a taste of power, rather than be frustrating as it was in my case.

Here's what I used (in addition to Codeacademy, which I really need to start using again), these are free:
http://inventwithpython.com/
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpytho ... index.html
I also have been told that Udacity offers a good course, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Roxie
Regular
Projects: Assess K, Mizuchi
Organization: Aikasa Collective, Altabe Studio
itch: aikasacolle

#5 Post by Roxie »

I think for someone like me that had roughly zero programming experience, and learns better in a classroom environment, a course like Coursera worked out in my favor. I did try "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" on my own prior, but it was a lot harder to apply for me. While the adjustment from Codeskulptor to Renpy has had it's moments (I did get a Renpy mentor to troubleshoot with), I did learn enough to know how to consider making mini-games for my VN. I ended up being able to do most of the coding on my own nonetheless, something I wouldn't have been able to do on my own before. I also just like the fact for Codeskulptor I didn't have to download anything, it's just there online.

xavimat - I will have to let you know it takes quite a bit of time to do the assignments (I had to slow down my own VN production). Experienced programmers finished in a few hours, the rest of us took number of hours every day. I learned something important though with coding, instead of wasting time on trying to figure out why it doesn't work, do something else and come back to it with fresh eyes.
ImageImage
Assess K (VN Adventure Game) LSF Thread | Mizuchi (GxG VN) LSF Thread | Honest Critique
[Proofreader, Beta-Tester]
Razz Art Visual - Starlight Vega [Co-writer]
Roseverte - Cafe-0, Duplicity, East Tower, How to Take Off Your Mask; Bakufu - Love Sniper
Zeiva Inc. - Train of Afterlife, OASE, X-Note, Area-X, Voices from the Sea, Natural - Beyond Nature, Dragon Essence, Anicon - Cat

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

I agree with icecheetah... if they use their own libraries, it might not be worth it. Time would be better spent figuring out basics of Python. Then setting a specific goal and working towards understanding what is needed in order to achieve that. Finding an open source project of similar style will help you as well.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#7 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

It's a shame there isn't a kind soul who knows their way around ren'py, and pygame who isn't willing to create these kinds of tutorials...
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by xela »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:It's a shame there isn't a kind soul who knows their way around ren'py, and pygame who isn't willing to create these kinds of tutorials...
There is one in Tutorial of RenPy. It's not that people are unkind, it's simply that creating a tutorial for every scenario and type of game is not likely to be possible at all.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#9 Post by xavimat »

Thanks for the advises! I know a little of freepascal (with Lazarus), and understand the basics of programming, but I've never made an intro to Python.
I'm finding useful http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python (linked by Kitten the Cat, thanks!). It's really really basic, but I'm discovering basic things I didn't know.

As TrickWithAKnife says it would be really interesting an introductory course for Renpy... :roll: (The tutorial, wiki and documentation are great, but they need to presume you know the basics).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by xela »

xavimat wrote:Thanks for the advises! I know a little of freepascal (with Lazarus), and understand the basics of programming, but I've never made an intro to Python.
I'm finding useful http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python (linked by Kitten the Cat, thanks!). It's really really basic, but I'm discovering basic things I didn't know.

As TrickWithAKnife says it would be really interesting an introductory course for Renpy... :roll: (The tutorial, wiki and documentation are great, but they need to presume you know the basics).
In my opinion:

This is particularly good, has lectures on youtube, homework if you wish and written tutorials:

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/

Best resource if you need quick information on basics:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/index.htm

Once you get a hold of basics, read the Python Documentation or at least parts of it you believe that you require, even if you do not understand some of it, you will know where to look when you need to solve a problem in the future, all advanced learning classes are (again in my opinion) utterly useless unless they are almost exactly in sync with what you need to learn.

icecheetah
Regular

#11 Post by icecheetah »

I just remembered this: https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1 It's an archive, so you can't exactly ask people for help or get a certificate for it anymore, but you can view all the lectures and take all the assignments. From what I've seen so far, it seems to be really about telling us how the process works, what stuff goes on behind the scene so you can better understand what you're actually doing with your code.

Solunar
Regular

#12 Post by Solunar »

Oh this thread is awesome. Thank you so much Roxie! I was wondering if there was something like this out there.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#13 Post by dramspringfeald »

Also a good one is Khan Academy it's set up for people who haven't used a computer in a while.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

icecheetah
Regular

#14 Post by icecheetah »

dramspringfeald wrote:Also a good one is Khan Academy it's set up for people who haven't used a computer in a while.
Khanacademy had this hidden? And here I was thinking they only had javascript courses!
Khanacademy is excelent btw. They helped me to understand maths in a way that years of schooling didn't.

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#15 Post by Kitten the Cat »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:It's a shame there isn't a kind soul who knows their way around ren'py, and pygame who isn't willing to create these kinds of tutorials...
What kind of tutorials would be needed? I think the Ren'py one has the basics down pat?

I agree that Animations and Screen Language still do my head in sometimes though... But at least there is documentation on it. Also, lots of helpful people in the Cookbook forums sharing snippets :D

Maybe I will do a tutorial in the future... especially with the complex gameplay I plan for my own VNs... but I'd have to finish the VN first ^^;;

--

I found more Python courses/materials:

Google's Python class

LearnStreet

Learn Python the Hard Way - many people swear by this

Dive into Python - for more experienced programmers

Hope this helps! The more people who learn to code, the better :D
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.