Difference between Visual and Kinetic?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
NoMoreStars
Regular

Difference between Visual and Kinetic?

#1 Post by NoMoreStars »

I couldnt find the answer around here so i thought i'd post a new topic asking;

Whats the difference between a Visual novel and Kinetic Novel??

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2 Post by musical74 »

Keeping in mind I'm not an expert on this, and those who are better suited may correct me...

It's my understanding that a Kinetic Novel is a *novel* in that you can DL it, but there's no branches at all. It's *click on this* and that's it. With a Visual Novel, you have choices...I would think that all the games on here are visual but the difference between a Visual and Kinetic is that the former has choices and the latter does not.

OK! Experts! How far off the mark am I? =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#3 Post by dizzcity »

I'll refer you to mikey's article on this.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

NoMoreStars
Regular

#4 Post by NoMoreStars »

ahh thank you heaps.....

um one more question sorry.....But how many words does a doujin game usually have? im currently scripting my own game...so far i've typed up 1000 words and i intend to have it voice acted..

Misuzu
Regular

#5 Post by Misuzu »

I'll want to make just a nitpicky correction to Mikey's article for Kinetic Novels. The origin of the Kinetic Novel is rooted within Visual Arts and their kineticnovel.jp, but not Key/Visual Arts.

Visual Art's just chose Key to make the first (and flagship game) for their new product line, but many other Visual Art's studios made kinetic novels, not just Key, most notably Ocelot's Polyphonica.

In Japan, saying Key/Visual Arts is synonymous with just saying Key. Just like saying Ocelot/Visual Arts is still saying Ocelot. Visual Arts is a conglomerate of smaller studios/teams working under the care of a larger company and engine (RealLive is a product of Visual Arts and not exclusive to any of the studios).

So the article is saying that kinetic novels were a series of Key/Visual Arts productions when in fact they were a series of Visual Arts productions, not Key/Visual Arts.

(Sorry to be picky ><. Just want to make sure no one else would get accidentally get confused).
Last edited by Misuzu on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GLACIER
Regular

#6 Post by GLACIER »

Visual Arts is a conglomerate of smaller studios working under the care of a larger company and engine
Somewhat OT:

Many brands are actually owned by Visual Art's with core staff being in-house employees of the latter. For instance, it has been made clear that Itaru Hinoue is a Visual Art's employee (rather than Key's, which is just the brand name her team has adopted. It's like how Interplay once gave each of its internal departments a distinct name, such as Black Isle Studios, Digital Mayhem, 14 Degrees East, etc. Each group got its own brand and logo, but all developers were nonetheless Interplay employees who worked in the same offices without actual autonomy. I think Sega did something similar, although their departments were technically spun-off as wholly-owned subsidiaries).

The company PLAYM is different in that they're an independent studio under a publishing/distribution agreement with Visual Art's.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

dizzcity wrote:I'll refer you to mikey's article on this.
There's a new version of that here: http://atp.manga.sk/activities/grh/grh.htm
Mizuzu wrote:So the article is saying that kinetic novels were a series of Key/Visual Arts productions when in fact they were a series of Visual Arts productions, not Key/Visual Arts.
Thanks for the clarification, will be fixed in the next update ;)

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#8 Post by dizzcity »

NoMoreStars wrote: um one more question sorry.....But how many words does a doujin game usually have? im currently scripting my own game...so far i've typed up 1000 words and i intend to have it voice acted..
1000 words in a VN/KN format will last you all of five minutes (and that's if it's a slow reader). :) Since doujin games vary a lot in length, I'm guessing anywhere from 1000 words (5-min short story) to 60,000 words (5-hour Narcissu-length production) for a kinetic novel. Add about 30% more words per major branch/ending in a visual novel. We could be talking upwards of 100,000 words here.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#9 Post by Enerccio »

dizzcity wrote:
NoMoreStars wrote: um one more question sorry.....But how many words does a doujin game usually have? im currently scripting my own game...so far i've typed up 1000 words and i intend to have it voice acted..
1000 words in a VN/KN format will last you all of five minutes (and that's if it's a slow reader). :) Since doujin games vary a lot in length, I'm guessing anywhere from 1000 words (5-min short story) to 60,000 words (5-hour Narcissu-length production) for a kinetic novel. Add about 30% more words per major branch/ending in a visual novel. We could be talking upwards of 100,000 words here.

-Dizzy-
Many thanks - now i can calculate time lenght without playing it again and again :D
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

NoMoreStars
Regular

#10 Post by NoMoreStars »

Ah thanks for that....i think i'll make my game a continuous one with differnt volumes.......Think i'll make my first one 10,000 words