What are some really good VNs for girls?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

What are some really good VNs for girls?

#1 Post by silverpikachu99 »

I have already play yo-jin-bo, and am currently playing second reproduction. i have even played spirited hearts and magical diary. Any suggestions?
i'll cry if you yell at me

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

Re: What are some really good VNs for girls?

#2 Post by ShippoK »

Hadaka Shitsuji

Visual Novel database is a great place to look for fresh and new Otome games (Games for girls)
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

This is a good forum to ask. On the VNDB, there is a policy against asking for recommendations...

These days, there's more than one or two examples of genuine girl x boy games. RE: Alistair is a good piece of freeware, with some gameplay and decent writing. Be sure to try some other demos on the following indie sites:

* Hanako Games
* Winter Wolves
* Zeiva Inc
* Roseverte
* Super Six-Three

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

There's a list of several English-language romance games for girls here: http://www.englishotomegames.net/list

And a list of upcoming games so you can anticipate those: http://www.englishotomegames.net/upcoming

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#5 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Oh my gosh >.< There is so many games i haven't played! cant wait to play them all!!!! Thank you soo much guys! :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

deviltales
Regular

#6 Post by deviltales »

well, for girls are GxB, though my favorite is and always will be Clannad, which is BxG.

A bit off-topic, is Yo-Jin-Bo good? I never tried it. Heard mixed reviews so I didn't bother much
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#7 Post by Googaboga »

^Yo Jin Bo is okay, in my opinion. It was one of the very first pure VNs I ever played (before that I had just been playing VN Hybrids) and it certainly encouraged me to keep trying more. But now that I've played more games I can see Yo Jin Bo was definitely far from perfect.

-The basic plot while fun is not super original. You play as an average high school girl who gets sucked back in time because she is the reincarnation of a princess who died and wants you to relive that moment and stop her murder.

-The main villain is really standard. Just a sinister guy from a well to do family who wants the princess dead so he can rule. And that is it. He gets very little screen time and whenever he does show up it is just him doing evil things like plotting or ordering people around. Although this is a stretch but in the PS2 version of the game you can romance one of the villain's main henchman and maybe that could have been the story line where you learned more about the boring bad guy. But I've never heard what actually happens so for all I know the villain is just as one dimensional in that story too.

-The characters were kind of meh. The main girl was dull and her princess version probably would have been a lot more fun to be. Spoiler for one of the endings:
In one endings the princess and the high school girl permanently switch places and it sounds like even the MC's parents like their daughter better all of the sudden. That's bad.
Most of the guys were just various stereotypes. I found them fun as a group but once it became more one on one with the girl and the guy it tended to become more boring. Although a lot of that had to do with the seriously dull main character.

-They like to make crazy modern day references oh boy. People in ancient Japan don't know about those things. How wild ha-ha... Yeeeaaaah whenever they brought up stuff like Pikachu, or baseball scores, or sung a modern song, or whatever I almost never thought it was funny. I guess it makes sense when the main girl did it since she is from the future but a lot of the time it was the guys who made these jokes. There seemed to be no reason for it besides trying to get a laugh from the player who may know what they are talking about. But that was just me. Maybe it will stick for you.

-The funny moments and serious moments don't gel very well at times. One minute it is like a big party and then the next it is deadly serious. Some of the people try to tell the girl to take what is going on seriously but that seems hard to do when almost every other scene the some of the guys are acting like dorks. Also sometimes in the middle of moments that should be serious (like escaping from a place full of people trying to kill you) they will stop to have a funny moment. I learned just to not take it so seriously and that was pretty fun but then that took away from when the moment really was supposed to be dramatic. Especially since I thought at any moment they might toss in a joke or something. Still there were a few times when I did feel sad for a character. That didn't happen often though.

-Length-wise I can't really remember how long it took. It wasn't terribly long though.

-The music was good. From what I recall at least.

-I liked the art but some of the character designed seemed off. Like the one guy with glasses had a bunch of bandages but I call him Duct-Tape guy because (what a surprise) the bandages look like duct-tape. There was a good amount of CGs though and I thought those were pretty.

-There seemed to be a Bad Ending and a Good Ending for each guy and then a whole bunch of game overs. I thought that was enough. There was a lot of replayability. Although once you got all the endings it is really up to you if you'd want to do one again. I got all the endings and I personally don't think I'll play any again. I actually didn't enjoy a lot of the endings. I thought many of those were the most "just okay" parts of the game. And some of them were just kind of weird. Spoilers for some of the endings:
In one ending the girl stays in the past then her and her guy move to past America and become cowboys. Why? Maybe I missed something but that seemed really random.

Another ending should be serious but it just cracks me up for some reason. How the game works is if you survive through a guy's story you are given a final choice. One option gets you their Bad Ending, one leads to the Good Ending, and one option gets you a game over. With this one guy all you gotta do is decide how you are going to avoid a bad guy. If you decide to avoid the bad guy in one certain way it just ends so ridiculously. Your guy walks up to the bad guy and is like "Here you go. Kill the princess." and then you die. Hahaha I thought that was so funny. It makes no sense if you know the other possible outcomes. Honestly if you choose simply to avoid the bad guy in some other way the guy you are with is going to love you and practically worship the ground you walk on for the rest of his life. How does that even work XD?

Alrighty that is my take on the game. I'm not sure whether you'll enjoy it or not but I hope this helps somewhat.

Too long to read:
I thought it was fun and had it's good points. Unless you have high standards for VNs or want something you can really take seriously I would suggest you try it out sometime.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

deviltales
Regular

#8 Post by deviltales »

@Googaboga
Thank you for the detailed review. :D
I'm not picky, if the story is well-written, I'll bite. I'll try the demo out as soon as I have free time.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#9 Post by Googaboga »

No problem. I'm glad it helped. I hope you enjoy the game ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

I've been playing A Troll's Fairy Tale (otome nano game) and really like it. Girls would probably like it, too, I'm guessing :)

Just about any good VN here is a good one for girls! The tougher question is what are some really good VNs for guys? :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#11 Post by Semienigma »

OMg I was so going to ask this since i'm new to Otome games and wanted to know some to play. Discovered them a bit late but I still like the ones I come accross
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art