How to make a game opening?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#1 Post by silverpikachu99 »

I need help!
i'll cry if you yell at me

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: How to make a game opening?

#2 Post by latte »

Could you be more specific on what you need help with? If you don't know how to use any video editing software, your safest bet is to google tutorials. Or do you want ideas of what makes a good OP? (I could use those, too)

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#3 Post by silverpikachu99 »

latte wrote:Could you be more specific on what you need help with? If you don't know how to use any video editing software, your safest bet is to google tutorials. Or do you want ideas of what makes a good OP? (I could use those, too)
Well, its not that i need help with the software, its just i want to know what software is the best. Also some ideas!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

#4 Post by Ryue »

You would need to say WHAT you plan without any details not really much detailed help can be given to you.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

How to make a game opening? Make it good!

Make sure your opening introduces the main characters to the player without giving away too much of the story. Make sure your opening transports the mood and theme of your game without being overly verbose. You needn't make it a trailer for your game - your players have already bought/downloaded the game when they see the opening, and you needn't convince them to buy/download any more - but help the player find his/her place within the story through the opening.

That much said, what exactly you offer as your opening may vary widely. One of the best openings I've ever seen throws the player right into the story. Picture this:

Fade into a snow-covered street, heavy snow is falling. To the left and right, all buildings - modern houses - are in ruins. A large sign, half-covered in snow, in the distance, reads "Climate change. Together we can PREVENT it."

From the lower part of the screen, the player character, a haggard woman, enters the street. The player is immediately given control and can move the sprite using the arrow keys. After having taken a few steps, a second character enters behind the woman - a very young boy, seven or eight years old. The boy says "Mommy... I'm hungry."

The rest of the introduction is the player guiding the woman and her boy through the scene and exploring more of the deserted, ruined landscape.

Of course, your opening can be as simple as one picture or as complex as one fully animated video sequence. It's up to you.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

Pick your favorite games, Movies or books > play them> pick your favorite opening or two > Deconstruct it > Figure out how it works > Emulate it.

It's that simple really. Then ask some questions like > Why do YOU like the opening? What does it say about your Game? Can you pull it off with such limited resources?

Such as The opening to Breath of Fire 2
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

silverpikachu99 wrote:
latte wrote:Could you be more specific on what you need help with? If you don't know how to use any video editing software, your safest bet is to google tutorials. Or do you want ideas of what makes a good OP? (I could use those, too)
Well, its not that i need help with the software, its just i want to know what software is the best. Also some ideas!
That really depends on the person. And how much effort you're willing to put into something. I can't afford expense video editors like Sony Vegas or After Effects, so I use MAGIX Movie Edit Pro and have found I can make some pretty complex stuff if I feel like it. Knowing your program well and using it to the best of its abilities is what really makes a good opening or end, if you know what you are doing. I really like MAGIX Movie Edit Pro and would recommend it to anyone. It's relatively affordable compared to the others, and you could make your own effects if you're willing to put a little effort (just changing colors, using pans and zooms and your own images for new effects can go a long way...)

As far as ideas, I recommending watching visual novel openings. It really helps with ideas. Even VOCALOID PVs can be helpful to look at, since it's so creative with just images ^.^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"