Stars in Their Eyes [Slice of life][NaNoRenO '13]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Goblin Maiden
Regular
Completed: Fest-off!
Projects: Yarn Shop Hop

Stars in Their Eyes [Slice of life][NaNoRenO '13]

#1 Post by Goblin Maiden »

Hi everyone, I managed to get pretty much everything done that I wanted to do with this game without going overboard. Hope you get something positive out of it should you feel like giving it a try. :) You can download it at this link:

Stars in Their Eyes

Summary:

“Rena has always been a “Jill of all trades;” dabbling in one thing and getting bored, then moving on to the next. Though she’s majoring in business, it’s only because she has no idea what else to do with her life. But on a day like any other, while on campus she spots a piano, and, remembering the days when she used to enjoy playing, decides to try it…”

It should work on Mac, PC, and Linux.

It’s a linear story, about 5 minutes long, not including the Bonus section. (which is unlockable after you play through the game the first time.)

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback you might have to give. :) Thanks for checking it out! I had a great time making it and I feel like I learned a lot.
Writer, coder, audio editor
Currently prepping for Yuri Jam '16!
Fest-off [Hakuoki Fangame][Kenetic][GxB][NaNoReNo 2015]

pwisaguacate
Veteran

Re: Stars in Their Eyes [Slice of life][NaNoRenO '13]

#2 Post by pwisaguacate »

Extremely short (less than 5 min.), but I like it. Knowing myself, I will probably sort of "forget" this piece and its generic message (not a bad thing), but I'm keeping an archive of every VN I touch. I'd say it's a pretty decent memoir including its bonus commentary.
EDIT: I also loved the name reversal; that was cool and pretty.
Good luck on your future projects!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Just played it and I must say, I really enjoyed it and found it to be inspiring. As a girl in college myself, I really like what Haele said.
I like how she's following her dreams, whether or not it will succeed. I like how she said that she'd rather be happy. I feel just like her. My major is in programming, one of my many passions. In fact, programming can easily go alongside with many of my passions - voice acting, writing, music, singing, art.... haha, that's why I love visual novels so much and video games, as it implements all. To be honest, it makes me sad some of my extended family seem to think I'll "change my major" but I won't, I've wanted to to program since I was a kid, when I found out you could make your own video games and such. I also liked how you said "Ripples" is what inspired this VN. I did sense that sorta vibe with it, and it naturally flowed and touched. Short but sweet, I like it.
Anyway, thank you for making such a sweet visual novel. It was short and simple, but I enjoyed it. It really brightened my day and made me smile ^.^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

SimonLayton
Regular

#4 Post by SimonLayton »

This is a short sweet visual novel. :D Simple message, but I like it.
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Goblin Maiden
Regular
Completed: Fest-off!
Projects: Yarn Shop Hop

#5 Post by Goblin Maiden »

Thank you for your kind words, everyone! :D I'm really glad you all got something out of it. That's what I was aiming for most of all. Even if the message was simply presented, I know I would have gone overboard with it or frozen up if I'd tried to work on it any more within the NaNoRenO deadline. XD So it's going to sit and simmer before I pick it back up to flesh it out.

@Kokoro Hane--Thank you for telling me how it related to your situation. I appreciate your story, and I'm so glad the game inspired you. :)
Writer, coder, audio editor
Currently prepping for Yuri Jam '16!
Fest-off [Hakuoki Fangame][Kenetic][GxB][NaNoReNo 2015]

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

Awww, this was good. It was short and sweet, but it did get its message across. I can totally relate to her. :) I can do a bit of many things, but I can never really excel in one of them. *sigh* Although unlike the girl here, I have so many dreams that I have no idea which one to pursue! But this vn had been quite inspiring. :) Haele is right. ^_^ Thanks for this!

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

#7 Post by xavimat »

Thanks for this short ans inspiring story.
After a couple of phrases I thought on Ripples... to discover that it has inspired you!
Follow our dreams... Isn't it what we all are here for? :D
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Tenarium

#8 Post by Tenarium »

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I did a playthrough of this on my channel! It can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNq-hYZG-nQ

Dangertyde
Regular
Projects: Anatidae

#9 Post by Dangertyde »

I have to admit, this little VN really touched me, as it parallels with my own situation... The uh, not knowing what to do with my life part anyways, heh.
Anyways, it's inspiring, and it made my thoughts a little bit brighter. So, thanks for taking the time to make this.
Just gonna strategically place this over here...
Quack!
/CRASH
/hobbles away