Beyond the Stars PG Sci-fi

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
DreadLindwyrm

Beyond the Stars PG Sci-fi

#1 Post by DreadLindwyrm »

My first attempt at a VN.

Art assets created with DAZ 3D 4.5
Coding in ren'py 6.15.2.

You are the captain of a survey vessel sent out to investigate potential colony worlds, with your two junior officers, Aiko and Xin.

Short, one branch point.

Edit: Corrected spacing issue with characters, re worded.
Attachments
Beyond the Stars-0.2-all.zip
(27.59 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Last edited by DreadLindwyrm on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Beyond the Stars PG Sci-fi

#2 Post by fleet »

Downloading now. :wink:

EDIT: I sent my comments via PM.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by fleet »

Oops! I didn't intend what I posted here to be in open forum, so I deleted it. :oops:
Last edited by fleet on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#4 Post by pwisaguacate »

EDIT: I gave this a try and it was sadly way too short. (What fleet said kinda made sense; I downloaded it anyways.) Congrats though for putting together something before even I did. :D Nice demonstration of menu if statements.

Also, the post doesn't make it clear on the progress of your project.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Not bad, not bad. The only comments I could think of are related to the art style:
1. Green lips?

2. The 3D human characters have this plastic-like appearance... and unfortunately, it reminds me of the Uncanny Valley. I'm not entirely sure what to suggest in order to avoid this problem.

3. I had no problems with the 3D dragon character. Maybe this style just works better with characters who are clearly not human. Or maybe it's just me...

DreadLindwyrm

#6 Post by DreadLindwyrm »

Thanks for the responses so far, I'll be looking into everything that's been raised.

gekiganwing - Not a lot I can do whilst using this art package, but point 3 might be because there's less expectation with that character than the others. I think I can get the skin tone on the main two a little more reasonable with some tweaking, but it might be a slow process. The lips - probably lipstick? I hadn't noticed I'd left them that colour though. :|

pwisaguacate

I got distracted by another project - I hope to have an expansion of this by the end of the month.
If not, I'll update and work on it further anyway, and probably move to the main WiP forum.

DreadLindwyrm

#7 Post by DreadLindwyrm »

I've managed to get distracted by playing around with other things, and then needing to reinstall my main computer.
Unfortunately I haven't made any useful progress beyond what I've already posted.

So, I'm going to let this die for now, and possibly start a new thing from scratch when I have some more stuff prepared.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by fleet »

I hope you don't abandon making VNs.