Some thoughts on being "good enough" and the magnus opus

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

Re: Some thoughts on being "good enough" and the magnus opus

#16 Post by Sabotage »

latte wrote:As my father always says, "never be afraid to show your work to the world, because if you don't, someone with a work of inferior quality but more courage will take its place". After hearing that 1029385701 times I finally decided to work on my first VN -- I know it's bad, but hopefully people will play and tell me how to improve.
That's a good one. I think I'll use that for myself, if that's alright! Haha.

The article hit the nail right in the head. It has been years and my stories have gathered age and dust but no audience. I've been looking for a platform other than comics/GN's/webcomics cos I simply waited too long, and the possibility of doing a GN is getting pushed farther back in my schedule. Ah, growing up. Who invited you again?

But that's the reason why I'm here! In Lemmasoft! Using Ren'py! It's like a glimmer of hope in a desolate wasteland of unused plots, unfinished story arcs and dead characters. Here's to hoping I get something from that last decade of idling and doodling haha!
Last edited by Sabotage on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

Sabotage wrote:I've been looking for a platform other than comics/GN's/webcomics cos I simply waited too long, and the possibility of doing a GN is getting pushed farther back in my schedule.
Yes the VN medium requires less art than comics and graphic novels, and reusing the same art is most encouraged.

I wanted to be an animation film maker and even though I work in a studio it's too much time and money to put drawings together to tell a story which is usually no better than most out there. I've really come to appreciate the ADV-style conversation cutscenes that is typical in JRPGs and that presentation is usually good enough for the stories I wanted to tell.,

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#18 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Sabotage wrote:The article hit the nail right in the head. It has been years and my stories have gathered age and dust but no audience. I've been looking for a platform other than comics/GN's/webcomics cos I simply waited too long, and the possibility of doing a GN is getting pushed farther back in my schedule.
Having done animation and comics in the past, I can attest to the fact that Visual Novels do afford a creator the chance to get a lot more story told with a lot less effort than the other methods. Still not easy. But easier. :)

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#19 Post by Sabotage »

Voight-Kampff wrote:Still not easy. But easier. :)
Very true. And the process is quite inspiring because you can see results of your hard work faster. Nice website by the way! Errant Heart sounds like a winner!
I've really come to appreciate the ADV-style conversation cutscenes that is typical in JRPGs and that presentation is usually good enough for the stories I wanted to tell.
Me too! I find it almost god-sent. Well, now it seems that we have no excuses to get our projects done, do we? Brr..

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#20 Post by Omnificent »

No matter how much you might cringe at it looking back now, and no matter how derivative it feels, always think of your older work as being practice/a stepping stone for the stories and/or art you're doing now.

My first try at massive world-building was for what was pretty much a sprite comic ripoff of 8BT. Then I got involved in some Mega Man and Fire Emblem RPing, which honestly polished my writing ability more than any of the Creative Writing classes I took in college. Academics and snobs would probably sneer at me for that, but you know what? Without it, I wouldn't be the writer I am today and I wouldn't have met some awesome people in the respective communities. Being too much of a snob or too afraid to try X or Y or produce Z stifles personal creativity. Just put yourself out there, because it's too late and the government already knows what you're doing on the internet anyways. :P
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!