What is your Current and Future Art Style?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Minarun

Re: What is your Current and Future Art Style?

#31 Post by Minarun »

What do you think your current art style is like?
Hmm can we call this "art" ? ... T..T

How would you describe it in three words?
Anime / Manga like

What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
My coloring sucks >< I'd like to improve men's anatomy and backgrounds as well. I'm faaar away from my ideal :x

If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?
Yay I love Aki Akane's style :

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#32 Post by enta »

It's okay but I want to improve more >.<

I have two styles so...
CG-coloring:
1.Lively
2.Takes less time
3. Normal

Thick-coloring:
1. Dark (most of the time)
2. Kinda-realistic
3. Takes time

What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
Anatomy. That's the most important thing and it's the most difficult thing for me.
If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?

This. I heard that Kazuki Yone is teaching in vantan academy so I'm planning to enroll there once I graduate senior high school. Dx
It would be a dream come true if I would be able to draw such anatomically right bishies someday :lol:

Solunar
Regular

#33 Post by Solunar »

Wow! Thanks a lot for all the replies, everyone. I've been slowly looking through all the pictures and learning from this thread. Plus, there were some pictures I've seen and never knew they were done by the same artist until I visited their gallery linked here!

If your current or future art style goal has changed, feel free to re-answer the questions again! It would be interesting to see how everyone develops. I'll add this to the first post.

Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

#34 Post by Lennonhead »

EXAMPLE (WARNING: depiction of attempted suicide)

I don't really know. I guess I would characterise it as a style with bold lines and sort of a cartoony feel. I've always had trouble describing my style, it's just there!

Defined
Underground
Original

I am happy with my style. I want to continue expanding my skills, though, especially in drawing backgrounds and in graphic design.

I don't wish to imitate anybody. Of course, I still have inspirations, but none that I would want to outright have the style of. When I was younger, I imitated the style of the amateur artist Prio, but I have moved beyond that.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#35 Post by Fox Lee »

Solunar wrote:What do you think your current art style is like?
It's anime-ish, simple by design, and more about conveying emotions than getting the shapes strictly correct. Also fairly neutral on the sliding scale of shounen versus shoujo (read: I like everybody to be hot, regardless of gender - but not too frilly). I choose simple imagery over "busy" elements like hatched shading or loligoth costumes.
Clean, Intuitive, Character-focused.
Currently I can only do thick, boring felt-tip-pen inking. I hope one day I will be able to do nice thin lines with some actual variation to them.
Not really - I love my style. It's hardly perfect, but nobody is as good as I am at drawing precisely what I like best, and that's what I want out of my work. It's weird, I know, but really I only draw to satisfy my own desires. If other people can enjoy it sometimes, then that's just a side benefit :p
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Pencey
Regular

#36 Post by Pencey »

Well here's the most recent thing i've drawn.
I'm actually trying my best to veer away from the anime/manga style but just sIGH
I guess it's getting there, i mean you wouldn't really look at it and thing "anime" right? RIGHT?

Bright
Flat
Comic-y?

I like the way i draw noses and mouths (still working on the eyes), but I DEFINITELY want to improve the way I color. My art just seems too flat!

leerer-raum on d/A

ItazuraKitsune

#37 Post by ItazuraKitsune »

Mmmm, to answer that I haven't achieved it yet I always tend to have half of an improvement on my art every 1 to 2 months... However last year my art really really sucked and may have probably sucked up until now... But I have a 100% big determination for an improvement. :)

A bit like Hanamura Mai's someday.... :oops: I really admire her artwork and art style even though the anatomy is slightly off... :) So, I'm really determined to have a style like hers even though originality is a must in art...
Her art:
Attachments
What do you think your current art style is like?<br /><br />Erm, a bit like Hanamura Mai's? Her artwork can be seen in the pics I've attached to the similar art style up above... 0 u 0 Please click the on the picture for better quality.

Erm, a bit like Hanamura Mai's? Her artwork can be seen in the pics I've attached to the similar art style up above... 0 u 0 Please click the on the picture for better quality.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#38 Post by arachni42 »

For those interested, the artist who designed the characters for Penguindrum posted a chart that shows how her own style evolved over the past 20 years.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -art-style

I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#39 Post by LVUER »

arachni42 wrote:For those interested, the artist who designed the characters for Penguindrum posted a chart that shows how her own style evolved over the past 20 years.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -art-style

I like her 2000 style the most. We can see her from the chart that evolving style is not always better... but what can we do? Even I can't control the changes in my own style.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Endorphin
Veteran

#40 Post by Endorphin »

^ I prefer 1995, actually.
I think this is "evidence" enough that the others are not "worse", but simply different.
I also like some other styles there, guess it depends on the story they are trying to illustrate. I think style changes are to be accepted, as we adapt to our surroundings/audience and the message we want to get across.
Though I'm still sad that the artist of Hana Kimi changed her style in the middle of it. ;__; I accept it, but...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#41 Post by LVUER »

Endorphin wrote:^ I prefer 1995, actually.
I think this is "evidence" enough that the others are not "worse", but simply different.
I also like some other styles there, guess it depends on the story they are trying to illustrate. I think style changes are to be accepted, as we adapt to our surroundings/audience and the message we want to get across.
Though I'm still sad that the artist of Hana Kimi changed her style in the middle of it. ;__; I accept it, but...
I'm not saying "worse" btw. I only say we're not always getting better over the years. Sure, our experience will build up and our drawing will get better. But since our style fluctuates and changes, our drawing can actually worsen. Some good artist can keep their style over a long period of time (while getting better here and there).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

deviltales
Regular

#42 Post by deviltales »

Um... somewhere between semi-realistic and manga-ish? I aim for semi-realism at the moment.
developing, imaginative[ i can strive for details if I'm not lazy enough], um, average?
Backgrounds. OH DEAR GOD.
Improving anatomy is always an issue.
I finally make clean enough lineart, although I want to upgrade to realism and paint over the lines.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2 ... 62eaa0.jpg
http://sakimichan.deviantart.com/art/Dc-girls-363385250
These two are just.... just awesome.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Hapuki
Regular
Projects: Another Glance , Osiris: Ordinance of the Thorns , The Sprout Club
Organization: Simply Happy Studios

#43 Post by Hapuki »

Inconsistent OTL;;

Changes on daily

Not really wanting to achieve a certain style but hope to be able to draw in one style consistently. :|

CookieHana (<3)

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#44 Post by Didules »

Solunar wrote: What do you think your current art style is like?
Probably very inspired by manga/anime, since in my country there is a huge culture of drawing, I would like to have a style that would be a bit more "unique" or at least, my own style =.="
Solunar wrote:How would you describe it in three words?
1- Dark
2- plain
3- unsatisfying
here is an exemple:
It's a common style, it's rather gloomy and I'm not happy at all with the color/background. :|
Solunar wrote:What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
I would like to draw smaller eyes =.= Just joking, there aren't that big usually, but I would love to learn how to color my drawings ^^" But at least it's not as ugly as before, somehow I may have achieved something?
Solunar wrote:If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?
Not a problem!
I love the way Kazuki Yone draws boys, she's a goddess!
I also like the way Kazuaki colors (and the composition).
Then there are several others I discovered recently:
Munashichi: I met her at the Japan expo 2012, it's so full of details!
Misaki: so many details, so beautiful T.T
And Kaoru Mori! She's seriously the most talented Mangaka ever! :D I like her art so much, but when I tried to do the same, it was awful 8'D She can draw beautiful horses too ^o^
(that makes a lot of artists...)

Armee
Veteran

#45 Post by Armee »

- Trash
- Mess
- Terribly Incorrect
- Anatomy
- Lining
- Coloring
- Everything
- Shading
- Improve My Lazy Butt
Definitely yuumei @dA
memipong @ dA
keerou @ dA
Suou @ Pivix
She gots a lot of amazing background...
たみ。@ Pivix
nuff saying... last but not least because I love her art most
Ibuki [Carol] SAMA!!!
Last edited by Armee on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.