Otaku and a weeaboo

For the rest of your otaku life.
enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

Re: Otaku and a weeaboo

#1 Post by enta »

I think

otaku = Japanese term for getting obsessed with something. You buy bloody premium editions and don't miss out comicon etc.
haniwa is the first stage of otaku btw. I once asked in yahoo answers(Japan) whether I'm an otaku or haniwa and turns out I don't even have the right to say that I've become an otaku(the terrors of those people :lol: )

I think this and weeaboo is different but can't put my fingers on it.

AxemRed
Veteran

#2 Post by AxemRed »

weeaboo = wapanese

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#3 Post by dramspringfeald »

Otaku = Obsessed Serious people doing serious things about the seriousness of Anime and Japanese culture.

weeaboo = the Japanese "Wigger" or These people. You've meet them before and you don't like them... they are the reason we have such a bad wrap over here.

However if you listen to the chans both are Weeaboo.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#4 Post by enta »

dramspringfeald wrote:Otaku = Obsessed Serious people doing serious things about the seriousness of Anime and Japanese culture.

weeaboo = the Japanese "Wigger" or These people. You've meet them before and you don't like them... they are the reason we have such a bad wrap over here.

However if you listen to the chans both are Weeaboo.
I had the thought that maybe weeaboo was a Japanese wannabe...turns out I'm correct. :lol:

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

Weeaboos are these people: http://weeaboo-stories.tumblr.com/

Otakus are usually associated with being obsessed with anime and manga, but the terms can actually be applied to anything you're obsessed with. Dog otaku, fishing otaku, cooking otaku...
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

A weeaboo is a derogatory term, that refers to people who are completely obsessed with anime and manga in a one-sided/annoying way, or Japanese culture in general. An otaku isn't necessarily an insult, though it has some negative connotations, just like calling someone a "comic book nerd".

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Lishy »

sanamolly wrote:How do you tell the difference between an Otaku and a weeaboo? My friend insists she's an otaku, but I've heard some of my otaku friends call her a weaboo... I'm not really an Otaku, so how do I tell a weaboo and an otaku apart?
A true weeaboo hates "American" culture and thinks "American" culture rips everything off, while continuously praising Japan without knowing what the hell they're talking about. (People like me who take pride in stereotypical western-American and Texas culture take offense to those weeaboos.)

We also have a "lesser" variation of weeaboo who use honorifics in English sentences even though they're not Japanese. They also tend to make their own work take place in a Japanese high school and use Japanese names for their characters even though they know nothing about Japan outside anime.

Generally both weeaboo-types are just phases people go through in high school and get over it. Whereas an Otaku is simply the Japanese translation of a "nerd". (Though in western culture, "Otaku" refers to a nerd of anime and video games.)
-

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by dramspringfeald »

Lishy wrote: We also have a "lesser" variation of weeaboo who use honorifics in English sentences even though they're not Japanese. They also tend to make their own work take place in a Japanese high school and use Japanese names for their characters even though they know nothing about Japan outside anime.
I use to be in the catagory and would often respond with "Nya" (the cat sound) for years... then I became a Furry and it's been smooth sailing from there.

It's kind of easy being furry... you know that almost everyone hates you and will attack you for it even the Weeaboo's. Well until we point out Batman and Hugh Hefner.
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Otaku: Weeaboo
Geek: Dork

Gets?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

You can't "tell the difference" because they're not words with real definitions.

An otaku, in English usage, is "someone really into anime". A weeaboo is "someone really into anime in a way that I, the speaker, personally don't like". What qualifies therefore depends entirely on who's talking.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#11 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Otaku by definition is someone who is obsessed with something. The most common use is for people obsessed with games, anime, manga or idols.
Source: Talking to Japanese people who define themselves as otaku, and seeing the culture first hand from living in Tokyo.

Weeaboos are the reverse of this: Image
As AxemRed said, it is a variation of "wapanese".
Source: Teh interwebz.

Sorry, but there's some really bizarre misunderstandings in this topic.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

EroBotan
Veteran

#12 Post by EroBotan »

now that you know that weaboos are used to insult people, my suggestion is to never use it ^^.

And Pappilon is right, the definition of weaboos are vague and entirely depends on the user. I've been called weaboos by people who feels that american culture is superior just because I watch anime in their natives language and prefering subs with honorific.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by dramspringfeald »

EroBotan wrote:now that you know that weaboos are used to insult people, my suggestion is to never use it ^^.

And Pappilon is right, the definition of weaboos are vague and entirely depends on the user. I've been called weaboos by people who feels that american culture is superior just because I watch anime in their natives language and prefering subs with honorific.
No, if you have to call someone stupid to inform them they are stupid then you call them stupid. Weeaboo's are Weeaboo's and they need to know what they sound like. The major issue is most don't knwo what the term means and is usually used by wanna-be chaners so they degrade the term.

Here is the check list, If you are being called a Weeaboo. you only need 3 of these to qualify but there is an 80% chance they will be almost all of these.
1. Do you use Honorifics in an English setting?
2. Do you look or act like the SNL skit in an unironic way?
3. Do you use gratuitous Japanese in Everyday conversations... and do not have a Japanese class in your history?
4. Do Japanese and other Asian people cross the street and pray to ANY gods that you do not start a conversation with them... IN America?
5. Do you know and WANT to marry a Japanese character.
6. ALL of your music is Jpop.
7. You see nothing Wrong with the SNL skit or
8. get offended by it
9. your body looks like a Japanese wall scroll.
0. You have ANY tattoos of anime characters.
a. You found THIS list offensive.
b. you plan to marry someone like "character x from anime"
c. you plan to marry A character from an anime.
d. you own at least 2 full "body pillows" < you're borderline if you know what that means.

Now I did not include any activity that had you actually attending a Japanese course but there is a HIGH chance you will meet them there.
Also Key Coffee is actually pretty good.

EroBotan
Veteran

#14 Post by EroBotan »

All I can say is that insulting people is wrong, period

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#15 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Unless its Japanese culture, then it's ok to make it look ridiculous?

There's not a lot of non-Japanese people in Japan. The way we act reflects on each other, and if people hear and act like an idiot, it reflects poorly on the rest of us.

Case in point: a Russian sumo wrestler was caught smoking weed in Japan. Probably once every six months someone makes a comment where they presume that I do drugs because that's what foreigners do. Why I ask where they got that idea, they mention that incident that happened years ago.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.