A Troll's Fairy Tale [Otome] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

Re: A Troll's Fairy Tale [Otome] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

#31 Post by Morishita »

Aseret wrote:This game was simply amazing <3 Honestly, words can’t even describe how much fun I had playing it. The dialogue was awesome and I experienced so many emotions. I found myself shedding a few tears at times, laughing like crazy since it was so hilarious at other times, then blushing like a “hopeless romantic” and just felt so giddy the entire time I was playing it. It took me more than 3 hours, I think around 4 hours, since I was so busy laughing and squealing xD

The story had an interesting premise and I felt myself drawn to their magical world. Moreover, the art was beautiful – the character sprites, backgrounds, layout, etc were all breathtaking. You are an incredible artist. I also loved the different expressions all the characters had; it was really well done.

All the characters had great depth. I adored the mother and sister. Acacia’s family had a really good dynamic. I LOVED the main character; so much better than most otome MCs! She had tons of spunk and I really admired her strong, tough character. Yet, at the same time, she was someone who dreamt of finding true love that was like a fairy tale, just like any other girl.

The two main guys were simply incredible, not to mention gorgeous ;) I love how they like and accept Acacia for who she is (unlike Aeron *cough cough*). I liked Aeron at the beginning in Damien’s path and thought he was pretty cute.
However, I hated him in Edavine’s path. He changed from some shy cute guy in one path to a controlling self-righteous freak in the other path. I didn’t like how he kept on passively, yet aggressively tried changing Acacia. Like how Edavine put it, Aeron’s like “this irritating, cynical little gerbil with a weird twitch” LOL.
Anyways, I honestly can’t decide whether I liked Damien or Edavine more, since I loved both of them to pieces. They both had their great respective qualities that made me fall in love with both of them. For example, Damien was fiery passionate, while Edavine was heart-warmingly sweet. AHH my heart can’t take it anymore <3 For the poll, I’m extremely stuck picking between the two (why are you doing this to me lol, I wish you would do a special end scene for BOTH of them). I’ll pick Damien since there was more romance throughout his route. On the other hand, Edavine had most of his romance only at the end, since his path covered more background story. Plus, Edavine’s leading in the votes anyway. Still, for me, it really is an extremely close tie between the both of them :)

The music selection was perfect for the game and played at the right moments. The types of music you chose really fit with the different atmospheres of the game. P.S. You listed the name of the people who did the songs, but do you mind pm-ing me the names of all the songs you used, it’s taking me a while to find them and I enjoyed them :P Thanks!

If I had to make some criticism too… well, there were a quite a few typos and the like. However, truthfully, it didn’t matter to me at all – since the game was literally perfect anyway :D
Another teensy-weensy thing, I liked the 2 CGs in the game, but for Edavine’s CG, Acacia looks a bit too young and different from her sprite. Still, that’s a nitpicky thing and isn’t a big deal or anything. Also, I know you’re tired, and you need a well-deserved break. When you’re all “recharged” (*wink wink*), I hope you’ll update the game with the CGs you weren’t able to complete, and then add a CG gallery. I know I’m being greedy, but it’s your fault for making this exquisite game ;) I still can’t get over the fact that you created such a lovely gem in just a month.

Overall, this was such a FANTASTIC visual novel and I have officially become a huge fan of yours. Even more than before, I really can’t wait for your future works! Thank you for making this wonderful game!
Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I also found a few typo's in the script when I went back through the story yesterday, so you can bet you bottom dollar that once I get fully "recharged" (sinkcer's and winks) then I'll go ahead and re-upload the corrected files and the two cg's that I wasn't able to upload with it the first time.
Your comment about the cg gallery made me smile and snicker to myself because it made me happy to know that my story is well liked enough that people want to see more artwork. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better job at making to sprites and cg's constant. Coming up with the designs within the month without having a chance to practice drawing them over and over like in a comic book kind of makes it hard to keep the consistent looking but I'll keep trying my best ^^; I think I know what it might be that is making her look so young in the cg because that was kind of frustrating me as well when I was working on it to but I couldn't quite put my finger on it Q^Q I think I was probably too tired to really tell at that time and about that until now so don't feel like your being nitpicky =^^= Thank you for reminding me because I was having the same thought while working on it but my tired self was starting to get in craze mode because of all the work and lack of rest ^^; I'll have to freshen myself up on how to code a cg gallery but if I can't figure it out I might need someones help but I'll try looking around the forum first like I've been doing before I break down and ask for help first ^^;

Also I plan on doing like a special bonus scene in the extra part for the characters to announce the winners and even respond to some of the comments said about them ^^ I thought that might be really fun thing =D So all the compliments that everyone's given Edavine, he's going to give a few people a response in return and so is Aeron and Damien and so on and so forth. I think that would be kind of fun don't you think? I'll wait to do that after the poll is over though ^^ I also thought that the poll might be a little bit hard but it's so interesting to see who will win =D
Thank you again Aseret! <3

ixWishing
Veteran

#32 Post by ixWishing »

I'm doing Damien's route right now, and oh gosh..
Around day 2-3, his name becomes Damine o_o.
Is that supposed to be on purpose, or was it just a typo?

I also went on Edavine's route briefly, and there a few typos here in there as well. (Particularly the spelling of his name)
The typos aren't bad, but they're kind of distracting. I'm a bit of a grammar-nazi, so any grammar typos were horrifying for me, haha.
If you're planning to do a longer version/updated version, I hope you can fix up any mistakes/typos ^^.

I'll report back when I'm done with Damien's route!
Last edited by ixWishing on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Everlasting Dreams ;

facadepapergirl
Regular
Projects: Pokemon: Final Evolution; Galactic Lust Crisis

#33 Post by facadepapergirl »

The grammar was the only problem I've seen as well. Otherwise, the game was AMAZING, and is one of my favorites. It seems too good for a simple NaNoRenO. The art was great, as were the characters, and the interactions during the critical situation parts made me emotional. I love Damien/Damine (I think Damine sounds like a better unicorn prince name myself), and Edavine has a nice personality as well. I wish that there was an incident with that fairy woman, but it's okay. The game was great, and I really loved the concept. If you decide to extend the story or do something similar, you have a fan right here.
Last edited by facadepapergirl on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morishita
Veteran

#34 Post by Morishita »

ixWishing wrote:I'm doing Damien's route right now, and oh gosh..
Around day 2-3, his name becomes Damine o_o.
Is that supposed to be on purpose, or was it just a typo?

I also went on Edavine's route briefly, and there a few typos here in there as well. (Particularly the spelling of his name)
The typos aren't bad, but they're kind of distracting. I'm a bit of a grammar-nazi, so any grammar typos were horrifying fir me, haha.
If you're planning to do a longer version/updated version, I hope you can fix up any mistakes/typos ^^.

I'll report back when I'm done with Damien's route!
Cool beans!! Thank you so much for helping with picking out the typo's because it's a lot of work for me and Narah to do by our self ^^; With other responsibilities on our plates it really helps to have extra head's to help <3 feel free to PM me any typo's you found so that I can go back through the code and pin point them out and fix those one as well =D Don't feel bad about that because I've struggled in that area so it's nice to have someone who is kind about it and willing to help me to improve it so no worries on my end ^^ Also I'll make sure to fix that name mix up. I had that mistake earlier as well and Narah had to help me get that fixed also because I kept confusing myself with the spelling. I kept wanting to switch the letters around and I'm not sure why ^^; It's supposed to be Damine though and I believe I might have switched the letters around in some of my responses as well ^^; I'm getting so old, I blame these migraines =__=
facadepapergirl wrote:The grammar was the only problem I've seen as well. Otherwise, the game was AMAZING, and is one of my favorite. It seems too good for a simple NaNoRenO. The art was great, as were the characters, and the interactions during the critical situation parts made me emotional. I love Damien/Damine (I think Damine sounds like a better unicorn prince name myself), and Edavine has a nice personality as well. I wish that there was an incident with that fairy woman, but it's okay. The game was great, and I really loved the concept. If you decide to extend the story or do something similar, you have a fan right here.
Thank you for reading through it ^^ I'll make sure to have to updated version up hopefully soon. NaNoReno is definitely a tough challenge and the first time I failed and was only able to get a demo out Q^Q I was so sad and I think I cried but this year I made it! <3 of course my health, sanity, some art and spelling and grammar was at stake but I beat the challenge and made a full story none the less =D
I don't think I would have been able to fit in more to the story with the amount of time that I had and since I wanted to go for something light and fluffy and feel good I kept it kind of sweet and simple ^^ but I'm still glad to still have you as a new fan even though it might be just a itty-bitty-bit lacking <3 Thank you again so much for reading it! Hopefully I can get the newer version with the cg gallery up soon.

ixWishing
Veteran

#35 Post by ixWishing »

Cool beans!! Thank you so much for helping with picking out the typo's because it's a lot of work for me and Narah to do by our self ^^; With other responsibilities on our plates it really helps to have extra head's to help <3 feel free to PM me any typo's you found so that I can go back through the code and pin point them out and fix those one as well =D Don't feel bad about that because I've struggled in that area so it's nice to have someone who is kind about it and willing to help me to improve it so no worries on my end ^^ Also I'll make sure to fix that name mix up. I had that mistake earlier as well and Narah had to help me get that fixed also because I kept confusing myself with the spelling. I kept wanting to switch the letters around and I'm not sure why ^^; It's supposed to be Damine though and I believe I might have switched the letters around in some of my responses as well ^^; I'm getting so old, I blame these migraines =__=

Thank you for reading through it ^^ I'll make sure to have to updated version up hopefully soon. NaNoReno is definitely a tough challenge and the first time I failed and was only able to get a demo out Q^Q I was so sad and I think I cried but this year I made it! <3 of course my health, sanity, some art and spelling and grammar was at stake but I beat the challenge and made a full story none the less =D
I don't think I would have been able to fit in more to the story with the amount of time that I had and since I wanted to go for something light and fluffy and feel good I kept it kind of sweet and simple ^^ but I'm still glad to still have you as a new fan even though it might be just a itty-bitty-bit lacking <3 Thank you again so much for reading it! Hopefully I can get the newer version with the cg gallery up soon.

Omg, Edavine's ending is sooooooooo sweet <3
Hah, who knew Aeron
could be such an a-hole! And man, Edavine got them connections xD
Damien's route is also sweet, but man, Edavine's was better imo xD.
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Aseret
Regular

#36 Post by Aseret »

Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I also found a few typo's in the script when I went back through the story yesterday, so you can bet you bottom dollar that once I get fully "recharged" (sinkcer's and winks) then I'll go ahead and re-upload the corrected files and the two cg's that I wasn't able to upload with it the first time.
Your comment about the cg gallery made me smile and snicker to myself because it made me happy to know that my story is well liked enough that people want to see more artwork. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better job at making to sprites and cg's constant. Coming up with the designs within the month without having a chance to practice drawing them over and over like in a comic book kind of makes it hard to keep the consistent looking but I'll keep trying my best ^^; I think I know what it might be that is making her look so young in the cg because that was kind of frustrating me as well when I was working on it to but I couldn't quite put my finger on it Q^Q I think I was probably too tired to really tell at that time and about that until now so don't feel like your being nitpicky =^^= Thank you for reminding me because I was having the same thought while working on it but my tired self was starting to get in craze mode because of all the work and lack of rest ^^; I'll have to freshen myself up on how to code a cg gallery but if I can't figure it out I might need someones help but I'll try looking around the forum first like I've been doing before I break down and ask for help first ^^;

Also I plan on doing like a special bonus scene in the extra part for the characters to announce the winners and even respond to some of the comments said about them ^^ I thought that might be really fun thing =D So all the compliments that everyone's given Edavine, he's going to give a few people a response in return and so is Aeron and Damien and so on and so forth. I think that would be kind of fun don't you think? I'll wait to do that after the poll is over though ^^ I also thought that the poll might be a little bit hard but it's so interesting to see who will win =D
Thank you again Aseret! <3
Ooh so excited for the special bonus scene :D That really is a good idea and I look forward to it! It would also be really cool if you could maybe add a short epilogue with each guy (although that might be asking too much aha, so no worries if you can't). And yea, in my opinion, I found the sprites had AMAZING, extremely well done art, and I liked them more. The CGs were good too, but there was something lacking. Maybe making the CGs (although they were really pretty) more consistent with the sprites would make it better. But yes, I totally understand you only had a month to create and practice the designs! So take all the time you need to recharge. Anyways, super excited for the updated version to come! And again, thank YOU for making such a great game :)

Morishita
Veteran

#37 Post by Morishita »

ixWishing wrote:

Omg, Edavine's ending is sooooooooo sweet <3
Hah, who knew Aeron
could be such an a-hole! And man, Edavine got them connections xD
Damien's route is also sweet, but man, Edavine's was better imo xD.
Yay! You finished it!
And yup our little fighter Edavine has a lot of connections ^^; I guess that's why he's mixed up in so much drama and so many fights too.
I'm happy that you enjoyed it though ^^

Aseret wrote: Ooh so excited for the special bonus scene :D That really is a good idea and I look forward to it! It would also be really cool if you could maybe add a short epilogue with each guy (although that might be asking too much aha, so no worries if you can't). And yea, in my opinion, I found the sprites had AMAZING art and were extremely well done. The CGs were good too, but there was something lacking. Maybe making the CGs (although they were really pretty) more consistent with the sprites would make it better. But yes, I totally understand you only had a month to create and practice the designs. So take all the time you need to recharge. Anyways, super excited for the updated version to come! And again, thank YOU for making such a great game :)
Now when you say epilogue do you mean a small preview of what their life is like afterwards? I was kind of thinking about doing a funny/ fluffy little interview with each character as a bonus extra but I was going to add that after the poll was finished in a few months. I'll keep working on trying to improve my cg skill's so that they match my sprites more consistently ^^ but thank you for understanding, I can definitely relate to the way you might feel when you see the cg's looking different from the sprites ^^; I'll keep practicing in order to get better at that <3
I was actually kind of tossing around the thought that my proofreader Narah had mentioned back in March, I was thinking about adding a small section where Acacia might end up running into the home wrecking fairy, nothing violent or anything but just closer and then maybe her and her family could also run into her dad and find closer there also. It was kind of just a thought but I don't know, it's kind of just a thought that I've been thinking about ^^;

ixWishing
Veteran

#38 Post by ixWishing »

Now when you say epilogue do you mean a small preview of what their life is like afterwards? I was kind of thinking about doing a funny/ fluffy little interview with each character as a bonus extra but I was going to add that after the poll was finished in a few months. I'll keep working on trying to improve my cg skill's so that they match my sprites more consistently ^^ but thank you for understanding, I can definitely relate to the way you might feel when you see the cg's looking different from the sprites ^^; I'll keep practicing in order to get better at that <3
I was actually kind of tossing around the thought that my proofreader Narah had mentioned back in March, I was thinking about adding a small section where Acacia might end up running into the home wrecking fairy, nothing violent or anything but just closer and then maybe her and her family could also run into her dad and find closer there also. It was kind of just a thought but I don't know, it's kind of just a thought that I've been thinking about ^^;
I second the epilogue part! I would definitely see part of their wedding or their honeymoon or something xD
- Everlasting Dreams ;

yukoneko

#39 Post by yukoneko »

The story is so heart-warming, been awhile since last time I played a VN like this one. And...this is really, really..weird, but there's something addictive about your art, it's really unique, not all anime-like type, not so interesting at first glance, but the more I play, the more I grow to "love" (not get used to) it. It's hard to believe it's nanoreno, I'm totally content with the current version.

Morishita
Veteran

#40 Post by Morishita »

ixWishing wrote:
I second the epilogue part! I would definitely see part of their wedding or their honeymoon or something xD
I think I have the perfect idea now on what to do ^^ I'll go ahead and keep it a secrete until the end of the poll <3

yukoneko wrote:The story is so heart-warming, been awhile since last time I played a VN like this one. And...this is really, really..weird, but there's something addictive about your art, it's really unique, not all anime-like type, not so interesting at first glance, but the more I play, the more I grow to "love" (not get used to) it. It's hard to believe it's nanoreno, I'm totally content with the current version.
Thank you so much for reading it! I've started to notice that also ^^; My art is kind of an acquired tastes kind of art but I'm really glad that you were able to still enjoy the story even with the different style of art <3 Thank you again for reading it!

Nekochi
Regular
Projects: Snow White and the Seven Thugs
Organization: Royal Flush

#41 Post by Nekochi »

I had a lot of fun with this game! The routes felt very satisfying overall, but I did notice a lot of typos. It didn't take away from my enjoyment too much, but like someone else said, it was kind of distracting (I'm an English major, after all.) I'm surprised you were able to put this much detail and back story into the game in just a month and I'll definitely be looking forward to more of your stuff in the future!
I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a real "good guy" option, though. I know Edavine was a sweetheart (and ultimately Damien was too), but both of the paths felt like they had more of a "bad boy" vibe to them and it would have been nice to see just a little bit more of a variety, but that may just be me because I'm a sucker for nice guys.

While I loved all of the characters (Acacia was in some ways the usual dense otome protag, but the way you wrote it felt very fresh, I loved the mother who tried so hard to help her two girls, etc., etc.), my favorite character was definitely Alaqua. She was so cute! She's the precocious, flirty teenager, but like Acacia she has a really big heart and loves and wants to help her sister, though sometimes the things she says make things worse. She's a total sweetheart and I think she had some of the funniest lines in the game. I just love the teasing, but loving relationship between her and Acacia. You really managed to capture that sibling dynamic perfectly. Personally, in addition to the other epilogues you're planning, I'd love to see a little bit of "Alaqua after." I don't want to push you into anything and it's totally fine if you don't want to or don't have time to do it, but I think it'd be a kind of nice to see a short story from her perspective. (Especially if it was about her teasing Acacia about when she was going to get a little niece or nephew because that'd be perfect.)

In short, I love Alaqua to bits and I just wanted to talk a little bit about her since I've seen most of the love so far going to the boys and Acacia. (Not that it's undeserved, of course.)
Last edited by Nekochi on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lonewolf1

#42 Post by lonewolf1 »

THIS GAME WAS AWESOME! ive played through both paths and i gotta say its been a while since i was this entertained by a VN. I adore the characters and the storyline. The setting of it being fantasy makes it all the more better for me seeing is how much i love mythical creatures and reading stories about fantasy. Thank you so much for making this, i had a great time playing it. i went after damien first and i really liked him but let me tell you Edavine hands down is my absolute favorite. he was just a sweet guy, I simply adore him.

Morishita
Veteran

#43 Post by Morishita »

Nekochi wrote:I had a lot of fun with this game! The routes felt very satisfying overall, but I did notice a lot of typos. It didn't take away from my enjoyment too much, but like someone else said, it was kind of distracting (I'm an English major, after all.) I'm surprised you were able to put this much detail and back story into the game in just a month and I'll definitely be looking forward to more of your stuff in the future!
I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a real "good guy" option, though. I know Edavine was a sweetheart (and ultimately Damien was too), but both of the paths felt like they had more of a "bad boy" vibe to them and it would have been nice to see just a little bit more of a variety, but that may just be me because I'm a sucker for nice guys.

While I loved all of the characters (Acacia was in some ways the usual dense otome protag, but the way you wrote it felt very fresh, I loved the mother who tried so hard to help her two girls, etc., etc.), my favorite character was definitely Alaqua. She was so cute! She's the precocious, flirty teenager, but like Acacia she has a really big heart and loves and wants to help her sister, though sometimes the things she says make things worse. She's a total sweetheart and I think she had some of the funniest lines in the game. I just love the teasing, but loving relationship between her and Acacia. You really managed to capture that sibling dynamic perfectly. Personally, in addition to the other epilogues you're planning, I'd love to see a little bit of "Alaqua after." I don't want to push you into anything and it's totally fine if you don't want to or don't have time to do it, but I think it'd be a kind of nice to see a short story from her perspective. (Especially if it was about her teasing Acacia about when she was going to get a little niece or nephew because that'd be perfect.)

In short, I love Alaqua to bits and I just wanted to talk a little bit about her since I've seen most of the love so far going to the boys and Acacia. (Not that it's undeserved, of course.)
I'm really glad you were still able to enjoy the story ^^ Feel free to shoot me a pm if you find the time to pinpoint out the errors for me, my work's been hitting me pretty hard so I haven't been able to pinpoint everything and I sadly don't have an English major Q^Q I'm going to send Narah an email first to see if she's free to help me pick through the story again but if school's got her buried in work like my work's got me buried in work =_=; then I might have to open up a requirement page and see if I can get some volunteer proofreaders ^^.

I'm very happy to see that there is another fan of Alaqua <3 She was a lot of fun to draw and type up! I'll definitely have to keep that idea in mind when I'm thinking up of something else special to do for the story! Thank you for the suggestion ^^

lonewolf1 wrote:THIS GAME WAS AWESOME! ive played through both paths and i gotta say its been a while since i was this entertained by a VN. I adore the characters and the storyline. The setting of it being fantasy makes it all the more better for me seeing is how much i love mythical creatures and reading stories about fantasy. Thank you so much for making this, i had a great time playing it. i went after damien first and i really liked him but let me tell you Edavine hands down is my absolute favorite. he was just a sweet guy, I simply adore him.
^^ Thank you for reading through it! I'm happy that it was entertaining <3 I also enjoy a good fantasy setting story too! Thank you for leaving me a comment about my story!

Aseret
Regular

#44 Post by Aseret »

I think I have the perfect idea now on what to do ^^ I'll go ahead and keep it a secrete until the end of the poll <3
Ooh, I'm even more excited now (which I didn't think was possible.. until now xD)
I'm really glad you were still able to enjoy the story ^^ Feel free to shoot me a pm if you find the time to pinpoint out the errors for me, my work's been hitting me pretty hard so I haven't been able to pinpoint everything and I sadly don't have an English major Q^Q I'm going to send Narah an email first to see if she's free to help me pick through the story again but if school's got her buried in work like my work's got me buried in work =_=; then I might have to open up a requirement page and see if I can get some volunteer proofreaders ^^.
I've never done proofreading before, but I would be glad to try! I can't make any promises, but I do want to give you a hand, as a sort of appreciation for your awesome game <3
Unfortunately, I am also crazy busy with school right now, but once that settles down (though I don't know when), I would love to help you out too :D

eumumii

#45 Post by eumumii »

Okay, this seriously had me in tears everything about the game was so freaking beautiful/amazing!!