A Very Splendid Otome Game [PPHS Jam]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

A Very Splendid Otome Game [PPHS Jam]

#1 Post by Camille »

Please help yourselves to the splendiferous SPLENDIDEST OTOGE. To summarize the game, it's about falling in love with a cake. A very splendid cake. The heroine's name is randomized or optionally set by the player.

I wrote the script (Neon took a select few liberties here and there) and my friend Neon (you might know her as the artist/admin of VDex Project) did the portraits, HTML and scripting. Scrolling text was adapted from a script she had written previously, but everything else was made over the weekend!

There's no backgrounds and no music, partially because it would be too hard to code those in and partially because Neon doesn't really like drawing backgrounds and we only had 48 hours. This game is browser-based and should be compatible (at least) with Internet Explorer 9, Firefox and Chrome for desktop computers. If your screen resolution is low and the screen cuts off, you can zoom out (ctrl - on PC) to make it fit your screen.

The writing comes out to ~10,500 words, so it's a pretty quick read. There are 2 bad endings, a normal ending, and a good/true ending. Due to the speed at which I had to write this script in order for Neon to code it, I did almost no editing/proofreading and there might be a few typos here and there.

Once again, here is the link to play the game. We are considering possibly expanding this universe in the future, so any feedback/comments you have would be great. Enjoy!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: A Very Splendid Otome Game [PPHS Jam]

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Hahahaha, I'm done playing. :)) From the beginning it already made me laugh. ^^

It's really light and fluffy, and so funny too! Hahaha. I love the dialogues. The art is really good too! <3 And I just love the plot. :) Oh man. :") Tira is super adorable! Ooooh. But I think this game will change a lot of things for me. Wahaha. I love baking! <3 It's my favorite hobby. I especially love making different kinds of cakes. But after reading this... waaaaah, how could I eat my own cake now?! :(

But seriously, I really really loved this! I hope you make lots more~
Last edited by Ran08 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

trepiechick
Regular

#3 Post by trepiechick »

I think this is great! It works very well as more novel than visual. The focus is on the main characters, so there really doesn't need to be anything else. The art is well done and I look forward to seeing more. This might just be me, but is there a reason the dapper gentleman is more polished than the heroine (who with her pink hair, blue eyes, and cupcake apron I can't help but call Pinkie Pie)? There are a few grammar errors, but nothing jarring, and you did very well for no proof reading. Please tell me you'll continue; this was just so much fun to experience!

My favorite line:
So according to him, I baked a near-sighted cake.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#4 Post by Camille »

Ran08 wrote:Hahahaha, I'm playing this right now. :)) From the beginning it already made me laugh. ^^

It's really light and fluffy, and so funny too! Hahaha. I love the dialogues. The art is really good too! <3 And I just love the plot. :)
Thank you very much! I'm really glad you found it funny since I'm always afraid my sense of humor might be too dry. XD
trepiechick wrote:I think this is great! It works very well as more novel than visual. The focus is on the main characters, so there really doesn't need to be anything else. The art is well done and I look forward to seeing more. This might just be me, but is there a reason the dapper gentleman is more polished than the heroine (who with her pink hair, blue eyes, and cupcake apron I can't help but call Pinkie Pie)? There are a few grammar errors, but nothing jarring, and you did very well for no proof reading. Please tell me you'll continue; this was just so much fun to experience!

My favorite line:
So according to him, I baked a near-sighted cake.
Thank you! Tira's concept was that he look "mature" and "elegant" since tiramisu is made out of espresso and so has a more "adult" taste. The heroine, on the other hand, was just meant to look like a normal girl. So I think he just seems more polished, haha. The same amount of work went into both designs. I think anyone's bound to look a little drab in an apron and with something covering their head, but she looks pretty cute in her normal clothes, doesn't she? :3

We're thinking about it! XD We've had a lot of requests for different kinds of pastries and whatnot—more than we really expected—so we're certainly considering it.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

Camille wrote:
Ran08 wrote:Hahahaha, I'm playing this right now. :)) From the beginning it already made me laugh. ^^

It's really light and fluffy, and so funny too! Hahaha. I love the dialogues. The art is really good too! <3 And I just love the plot. :)
Thank you very much! I'm really glad you found it funny since I'm always afraid my sense of humor might be too dry. XD
Hahaha! Nope, it's not. Teehee. The story is really funny and it kept the mood light. Oh, and I'm already done playing. I absolutely loved it! <3 I can't believe I'm falling for a cake! Lol. :")

trepiechick
Regular

#6 Post by trepiechick »

Thank you! Tira's concept was that he look "mature" and "elegant" since tiramisu is made out of espresso and so has a more "adult" taste.
He certainly does look mature, like some kind of super prosecutor Phoenix Wright-style! I loved how you matched his color scheme to his decorations; it just opens up a world of possibilities! Cookies, candies, cakes, chocolates, ice creams, pies, not to mention foreign desserts. I'm kind of curious to see what a banana split would look like XD.

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#7 Post by Vilhelmina »

I love how cracked up the idea behind this game is! And...okay, I'm just going to say it;
Awwwww <3

I just finished this and got the good ending, and let me tell you what; I am not the LEAST bit interested in seeing the other endings. >_> I fear they would kind of break my heart. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME. xD

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#8 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

This is such a cute and funny game. I really love it a lot! Keep up the excellent work!

Einara
Regular

#9 Post by Einara »

Now that certainly was odd...enjoyable, but odd nevertheless.

I liked the design of characters - our heroine looks really cute in casual clothing.

Now to make that into a full fledged magical bakery otome with cupcakes and chocolate cookies turning into handsome guys...

borisoda
Regular

#10 Post by borisoda »

Wow this was such a wonderful cute game ><

the sprites were well drawn too

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#11 Post by Blane Doyle »

This premise is so silly that this game honestly should have been just ridiculous...

So how in the world did you guys manage to make it so GOOD?

You know I liked it from my comments on Twitter, but honestly I expected this to be just a silly little game with cute art that I was going to sit down and enjoy for being silly (much like why I enjoyed Hatoful Boyfriend). But the writing itself is good enough to make it an honestly enjoyable read. They say that good writing can make anything enjoyable and I think this is a good example of that, probably because while you guys worked with an over the top premise you didn't go out of your way to make the execution over the top.

It's not perfect and it does have typos, but for a 48 hour game it's better than I expected. I would really like to see you guys polish this off, fix the typos, expand a little more, give us some backgrounds and music (I listened to "cafe music" while playing and it fit rather well), that sort of thing.

... I guess what I'm trying to say is: This game is good and I did not expect it to be as good as it is and I want more.

Also: I showed this to a friend of mine who never plays visual novels and while her first reaction was "do not tell me we date the cake, do not tell me this is the bird game with a cake" (I may have just given her the link without any explanation...), her final reaction was "ok, I have to admit, that was really cute".

paronomasia

#12 Post by paronomasia »

This was adorable and funny in right places. I cannot get over the sprite art for Tira, it's just fantastic. And completely my taste in flavor and appearance and personality and man, I want a boyfriend that smells like chocolate. Anyway, well done on dialogue (I like how Tira's voice was splendidly different than protagonist's), story, and art. By the way, somebody started an LP for this on broken forum.

(I'm not sure how quotes work here) ''I just finished this and got the good ending, and let me tell you what; I am not the LEAST bit interested in seeing the other endings. >_> I fear they would kind of break my heart. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME. xD''

I completely agree. I refuse to see any other ending.

Twilstar

#13 Post by Twilstar »

The game is amazing, so funny and cute. Too bad it's so short. I liked everything, the characters, the art (Tira is so charming and elegant <333), the dialogue... The lack of music and backgrounds didn't bother me at all. Your idea is pretty interesting and I would definitely like to see continuation of this in the future. :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#14 Post by sake-bento »

Is Lex Luthor going to steal my new cake boyfriend when no one is looking?

effenelle
Regular
Projects: Un:Wanted [GxB]
Deviantart: effenelle

#15 Post by effenelle »

Oh my God I really like it! I love eating delicious cakes, and in this story I'd imagine I could eat Tira! Wow I believe it would taste splendid! And of course I'd like to try some other cakes too! Yum yum :P

And I also love the way Tira expresses himself
as a cake that is. chocolate heart, I swear on my expresso
Just LOL.

And oh I like the art too! It's so cute! Thank you for making this game XD

edit:
I've finished all of the endings (though of course I've gone for the good ending first). All of the endings flow nicely and fit perfectly with the story of the heroine. In the normal ending
where you have to choose "No" when he asks are you happy with me, I feel that the explanation of rejecting him are justified.
I'd be glad to play your continuation of this game!
Last edited by effenelle on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Un:Wanted (GxB)
A game made from free resources found in LemmaSoft's Creative Commons!
\(^▽^)/
Thanks everyone!