Invisible Paths [Supernatural?] [Delayed Nano 13]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Amorphous
Regular
Completed: Recording the Predestined Time
Tumblr: beastamorphous
Github: dmliao
Soundcloud: a_morphous
itch: amorphous

Invisible Paths [Supernatural?] [Delayed Nano 13]

#1 Post by Amorphous »

Okay, I'm late. 12 days late, in fact. But somehow, I managed to finish my first visual novel (that I went totally overboard on)...so here it is!

Story

After making a sketchy deal with the devil, a girl whose life was cut tragically short emerges into the world as a ghost, and sets about trying to both make sense of her death and find a way to rest in peace.

Screenshots

Music
I'll just throw the main theme up here, because I like it. Full game has 12 tracks; variations of Ghost's and Delano's themes are written by a friend, the rest are by me.

https://soundcloud.com/beastamorphous/invisible

Download
I've confirmed that the problems are because my website's screwing with the large file downloads, so all download links are from box.net for now.
Windows ~ Mac ~ Linux

Some Numbers

21,247 words
8 CGs
11 music tracks (+1 random obnoxious song)
2 major routes

Credits

Art, Writing, Programming - Amorphous
Music (Delano theme, Ghost theme) - Bessy
All other music - Amorphous
Sound effects and photographs used for BGs are all public domain

Other Links

Invisible Paths Webpage

Notes
I wrote Delano's route first, although I didn't have a recommended route order in mind.

I'm not entirely sure what genre this is, either. It's not a traditional ghost story, there's no horror, and supernatural or mystery elements are completely glossed over. Can I just call it philosophical rambling and be done with that?

Well, this concludes my first (late) Nanoreno, VN, and attempt at using Ren'py; it was a blast, and I learned quite a lot. And I ended up creating quite a monster too; at 20,000 words, this thing ended up being about four times as long as I had originally intended (mainly because I added extra elements and a second route...). I'm pretty surprised I even managed to finish within two months, as I'd pretty much made the whole thing myself (except SFX and half the game's music). If there are bugs, issues, problems, definitely run them by me, I'm not too good at testing. >_<

Anyway, that's Invisible Paths. Hope you guys enjoy!
Last edited by Amorphous on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Confused person. Makes art and music.
Website | Twitter

Chibichann
Regular

Re: Invisible Paths [Supernatural?] [Delayed Nano 13]

#2 Post by Chibichann »

Download link of windows is working but cuts of while downloading i have attempted to download the game already several times would you please check it out i really do want to play your game. :|

Amorphous
Regular

#3 Post by Amorphous »

Chibichann wrote:Download link of windows is working but cuts of while downloading i have attempted to download the game already several times would you please check it out i really do want to play your game. :|
That's pretty odd; I checked the downloads several times last night and today and they were all working fine. But if you're still having trouble, I've uploaded the game to a (hopefully more reliable) site, check if that works instead.
Website | Twitter

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#4 Post by Haze »

I downloaded the windows version and it worked fine for me, but when I tried opening the zipped folder to extract the contents, it said something about the folder being invalid.

I tried downloading again, and I got the same message...

EDIT: I tried again after you fixed it, and the download worked fine. Overall, I liked the game; the music was calming. My one complaint is that
during the highway scene on Logan's path, the text read "I notice one particular car. An otherwise unremarkable vehicle, dark grey-ish, SUV..."while showing a white car on the screen. What?
Also, during the same scene, I chose to possess the wheel, and I got the text that's apparently supposed to appear when you possess the break. I tried possess the break, and I got the same text. I guess there was a mistake in the coding or something.
Beside those two things, this was a very good game. Nice work!
I just wish I could see what happens when you possess the wheel...
Last edited by Haze on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Amorphous
Regular

#5 Post by Amorphous »

EDIT: I figured out the issue. Turns out the webhost really, REALLY doesn't like large files, and so was cutting off the download of the zip files for everyone and generally screwing things up. I've removed that link for now and made everything from box.net which should be more reliable.

No clue as to why it did work for me, but by now it should work for everyone. Sorry for all the trouble!
Last edited by Amorphous on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Website | Twitter

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#6 Post by Doomzilla »

I had the same extraction issue as Haze with the first download link, but the second one worked just fine for me. Your game looks interesting, can't wait to try it!

Amorphous
Regular

#7 Post by Amorphous »

Speaking about embarrassingly not-working things Amorphous has managed to do, there were some little in-game problems with the first download, and a not-so-little problem in which I switched the outcomes of one of the choices. They've all been fixed, and after waaay too much trouble, Invisible Paths should finally be 100% complete. :D

Hope you guys enjoy, and sorry for all the bumps and roadblocks along the way. ^_^'
Website | Twitter

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

I played through both routes, here are my thoughts on it:
I definitely think the game is very heavy on the introspection, but without a powerful enough mystery to really pique the player's interest. See, I saw a "deal with the devil" as this really huge, big deal - after all, as far as I know it's the worst thing that can happen to you, so the MC would have had a really, really good reason to come back. But, most of the game is spent trying to FIND a purpose for the player's ghost-hood, rather than fulfill that purpose. The MC just brushes off the devil as if it were nothing. It lacks a real sense of urgency to the proceedings that will make the player keep turning the pages.

The elements are there - deal with the devil to come back to Earth for a night - but then the player just... forgets. It's anticlimactic, basically - there was not really much reason to come back besides possibly saving the people. Even when I did save that guy, I wasn't sure if it was really what MC wanted to do. So, I think that the game should have had more outward actions by the main character in order to solve the mystery of why, and how, she returned, and what she can truly do with those special powers of hers that she didn't really use.

Having the MC just say that it might have been a mistake makes the story feel a bit hollow. Why make a deal with the devil if you don't know why?

MudkipTheDestroyer
Regular
Completed: Bacon 1&2, SummerCamp, The Twins, Club Felin, Escape Cody
Projects: Sooooo many projects... .-.
Organization: Fat Chick Studios

#9 Post by MudkipTheDestroyer »

I tried downloading the Windows version today and it, unfortunately, didn't let me due to bandwidth restrictions. Why don't you just upload it as an attachment on here, or try using 4shared? Those are generally the easiest/best-working. :0 Either way, I look forward to playing it - the art style is very different from the mainstream anime styles on here so it should be pretty interesting. :p
------Sonic------

Completed Projects:

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#10 Post by Ran08 »

I played this today, and it's quite good. ^^ I just noticed a few minor things, and I agree with what SundownKid said. Still, I was quite amused by the MC. ^^
I loved the idea of having the MC come back as ghost and meet the kid she'd accidentally killed, but I think the "deal with the devil" plot was kinda... weak? She had no real reason to do it, and even though it still did turn out pretty nicely (she met Logan after all) it still seemed like there was truly no motivation for her. What's her unfinished business? (Probably to gain Logan's forgiveness, or to meet Delano? But after all that, it was still like she had absolutely no reason to stay on earth.
Overall, I'd read this again, because I was really drawn by the MC's humor, like I said. Hahaha. She's quite funny, in a dry sort of way, which made it even more amusing. ^^

Well, congratulations to this! ^^

ixWishing
Veteran

#11 Post by ixWishing »

Ahh, how did I miss this?!
I definitely need to respond asap when I play it!
It seems so interesting, haha.
- Everlasting Dreams ;

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#12 Post by arachni42 »

I played it and enjoyed it. I found the writing very compelling somehow.

Because other people commented on it,
The deal with the devil thing was a little odd in that in most stories, it is a big deal. The word "devil" is not capitalized, which is good, but not quite enough... because traditionally, there is a hefty price for a devil's deal. It would probably be find for the MC to have nebulously chosen to come back, and she knows it's for a limited time but doesn't know why, etc.
Anyway, I really ought to write more about it at a later date, but I wanted to say I did really like the writing and introspective story. :)
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

heavyblade
Regular
Projects: Lucifer's Curse
Organization: Splitin2kun

#13 Post by heavyblade »

This was a really great read. I really liked the plot.
But I was sad that all three choices at the end didn't change the story by all that much. I understand that this works too, but I was expecting more changes.
In any case, the soundtrack fit very well to the game and helped quite a lot.
Want to hire me for commissions? E-mail me at rsalimnarayanan@gmail[dot]com

Amorphous
Regular

#14 Post by Amorphous »

Oi, this response is like A MONTH late, but this is what happens when school decides to throw like 50 final projects at you >_<

Thanks for playing the game, everyone. I'm glad people enjoyed it. Here are some of my thoughts, looking back on this game, although I'll warn you that it pretty much spoils the whole plot and is a wall of text:
As for the whole 'deal with the devil' thing, that was originally going to be an extended sub-plot...except then I realized that the VN was already like 20,000 words long, and I had no time to put that in for Nano. >___<. However, the way I eventually interpreted it was that although the deal with the devil is a really big deal, Ghost didn't view it as such.

Ghost was always meant to be an inappropriately chill protagonist, who's pretty terrible at seeing the consequences of her actions. Almost everything she does in the story she doesn't think through. When she visits her boyfriend, she doesn't realize how it could go wrong, when she decides to try and atone in Logan's route, she doesn't weigh lives that heavily. So I think in the end, she doesn't really understand the consequences of making a deal with the devil, I think it suits her to to even make that deal on an impulse.

I guess in the end, I tried to portray Ghost as a teenager who thinks she's invincible, even though it's already been proven that she's not. There is no 'real' reason why she came back to Earth, as far as I'm concerned. The reason changes between the two routes, and more likely than not she came back because she had the chance to.
Again, thanks for playing and commenting; it's very much appreciated. :D
Website | Twitter

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#15 Post by Akitsuki »

I've tried this! It was good and I'm quite fond of the art as well. Good job!