Otaku and a weeaboo

For the rest of your otaku life.
dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

Re: Otaku and a weeaboo

#16 Post by dramspringfeald »

I had to be a little careful. I know plenty of "otaku," states version is usually obsessed with anime.

There are plenty that have a strong love of the culture but also respect it.

but yes Japan is VERY Xenophobic... which is why they will be down to 40% their population in 3 generations.
EroBotan wrote:All I can say is that insulting people is wrong, period
You need to lean the difference between being offensive and not coddling because it might hurt them. One is mean the other is teaching.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

EroBotan
Veteran

#17 Post by EroBotan »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Unless its Japanese culture, then it's ok to make it look ridiculous?

There's not a lot of non-Japanese people in Japan. The way we act reflects on each other, and if people hear and act like an idiot, it reflects poorly on the rest of us.

Case in point: a Russian sumo wrestler was caught smoking weed in Japan. Probably once every six months someone makes a comment where they presume that I do drugs because that's what foreigners do. Why I ask where they got that idea, they mention that incident that happened years ago.
From my point of view, you're currently doing what the japanese do to you.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by dramspringfeald »

EroBotan wrote: you're currently doing what the Japanese do to you.
Psst~ He lives in Tokyo.

What I think he is saying. Because he LIVES there he keeps getting crap from Weeaboo's actions here in the states OR the Japanese sentiment of "please knock it off" is leaking in. It's up to you.
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#19 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

EroBotan wrote:From my point of view, you're currently doing what the japanese do to you.
How?
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

EroBotan
Veteran

#20 Post by EroBotan »

Chronology:
1. some people promoting hate towards a certain group of people by calling them weaboos
2. they list some definitions of this weaboos as a guidance (lol?)
3. it's a common fact that the majority of people in internet don't like reading and act like jerks, so they call people weaboos even if they don't fit the definitions.
4. The new definitions a weaboo: people who are into anime and they make you mad for some reasons (any reason will do and they don't have to make sense).

J. Datie
Veteran

#21 Post by J. Datie »

dramspringfeald wrote:80% chance
dramspringfeald wrote:40% their population
I see we have a statistics otaku on our hands!

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Some things are so silly that they don't have to be tolerated.
Come on, if you have a person acting like they are from a country that they obviously know very little about, they are not going to be taken seriously.

I'm talking about actual weeaboos. Regarding people throwing the term around, that's the nature of the internet. Apparently everyone is gay, and there are no girls.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by dramspringfeald »

1. some people promoting hate towards a certain group of people by calling them weaboos
nope.

2. they list some definitions of this weaboos as a guidance (lol?)
There is a list.

3. it's a common fact that the majority of people in internet don't like reading and act like jerks, so they call people weaboos even if they don't fit the definitions.
It is also common fact that most channers are hardcore Otaku's and probably borderline Weeaboo

4. The new definitions a weaboo: people who are into anime and they take it too far.
*fixed*

EroBotan
Veteran

#24 Post by EroBotan »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Some things are so silly that they don't have to be tolerated.
Come on, if you have a person acting like they are from a country that they obviously know very little about, they are not going to be taken seriously.

I'm talking about actual weeaboos. Regarding people throwing the term around, that's the nature of the internet. Apparently everyone is gay, and there are no girls.
Then don't complain if the Japanese treat you like a weed smoker. Because as you can see now, It's human nature to generalize things. Plus, you don't feel bad for taking part on it and making things worse .

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Weeabooism is a form of racism. I don't feel I have to give racists the thumbs up, even if it's a more positive form.

And I can complain as much as I like if I get accused of being a drug user. After all, it's not true. Unlike actual weeaboos, I have to live through this every day.

I don't eat with chopsticks because it's trendy, I do it because most restaurants don't have forks.

I don't say "desu" after every sentence because I like to pretend I'm Japanese, I do it because it's a requirement of talking to the people around me.

I don't learn to read Japanese because it's cool, I do it so I can try and understand the constant flow of documents I'm required to fill out to pay taxes, renew my visas, visit the doctor, etc.

I don't study with books because it's fun. It's because being a foreigner in somewhere like Tokyo means being shunned by everyone you meet, so it's the only realistic place to learn.

I don't study Japanese culture because it sounds mysterious, it's because giving up your own cultural identity is one of the many painful parts of living here, because without doing so, all doors are closed.

So if you think I have no right to speak ill of those people who act like Japan is some magical place full of cat-girls and pocky, then that's too bad. I've done my time here, and I'm still doing it. I've earned the right to complain.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by dramspringfeald »

@EroBotan - you are going to loose this argument... just letting you know.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#27 Post by enta »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:

I don't study Japanese culture because it sounds mysterious, it's because giving up your own cultural identity is one of the many painful parts of living here, because without doing so, all doors are closed.

So if you think I have no right to speak ill of those people who act like Japan is some magical place full of cat-girls and pocky, then that's too bad. I've done my time here, and I'm still doing it. I've earned the right to complain.
As someone who is also living in (not in Tokyo but in a more remote and peaceful place somewhere in the Chinese region) Japan, I agree with this. I've mentioned peaceful but it's not completely peaceful. If you think Japan is some merryland then you'll have to think twice.

The golden rule here is, "When in Rome, do what the Romans do". If you act a little differently, you'll be either isolated, bullied and if worst things happen, you either end up hanging yourself in the ceiling or you end up killing your mates instead(like a Chinese student in Hiroshima who killed 8 people just because he can't get used to Japan's culture). I manage to cope up with this thankfully and spend my school days happily(without experiencing an "extreme" bullying at all).

I've studied(junior and currently senior) and spent my life here and I've had enough experiences to say that Japan is not as merry as all otaku(or people who wants to go here) thinks and that goes even for Japanese people themselves.

But this circumstances might only be understandable to people who DID experience those. sigh...

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by dramspringfeald »

Actually Etna that is also why the country is being abandoned in droves. Just as many "foreigners" are being ran out as those who "don't fit the mold" leaving japan a soon to be abandoned shell of what it use to be. were not talking villages ending up as ghost towns but whole cities and towns getting wiped off the map unless they can come to terms that this is no longer a "gleaming national island" and start accepting other cultures into it's own. They only have literally 60 years to adapt or die.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I've heard a lot of talk from some of my adult students about that. It seems that it's a really big concern, and they're trying to figure out what to do. I get the impression that the Japanese government is fumbling in the dark though. Perhaps if they actually tried asking non-Japanese people for a change...

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by dramspringfeald »

It's simple really. they need to grow up a little and look to the future. MOST of their people are moving to the US and UK not just because of better jobs, more freedom and better healthcare (I know the truth!) but because in the US and the UK they can be themselves without fear of us turning on them like loose dogs on meat.

If they learned to relax a little I bet things would look better for them.

Seriously, You talk out of turn > shunned, Speak your mind > Shunned, Take a day off because you are missing blood and vomiting > Shunned. Relax the world won't end if they pull that stick out their ass.

*edit* wasn't there also a thing going around Japan and china about innovation. They had the test scores but the States and Europe had arts, imagination and well thinking outside the box?