A Troll's Fairy Tale [Otome] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

Re: A Troll's Fairy Tale [Otome] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

#61 Post by Morishita »

Akuni wrote:Wow, can I say this art is just GORGEOUS D: I am beyond impressed by the backgrounds especially D: I am mindblown, I could stare at them forever....I'm gonna play through all the endings and give a proper review.

Also, I got my friend to play too >:3 muahahahaha

EDIT: OK~!/

So I played through the game. WOW~ It is incredibly detailed and well written. The story really is captivating, and instead of just leaving it at 'He lightly brushed my cheek' You described so perfectly her inner feelings about every situation, its like you experienced it yourself. It was really relateable though. I was kinda surprised she has so much insecurities.
About that bad ending though ._."" I kinda thought it would be you ended up with Aeron and had a crappy life, but I mean...ugly smelly troll works too.
On the topic of trolls though, I love how you bring us back to reality by establishing that they're trolls. Like when that troll lady went haad on the momma D: and she dragged her out by the hair and I'm all D: WHAAAAT? and then its like, oh right she's a troll :3 its all good.

On a sidenote: I'm curious are you of Caribbean descent, idk I notice a lot of Caribbean artists draw like you/that style.

I cannot praise your backgrounds enough my god, I'm blown D: BLOWN~!

EDIT ON EDIT: Oh my god, how many times tonight am I gonna gush about this game xDD I have to say that when you were writing the fairy part I was thinking some weird, tiny fairy like cute like Aeron. I was not expecting chocolate hunkzilla to come out like that *g*

The story was very well developed, especially on Evine's part, more to why Acaia's the way she is and why she atcs the way she does. I think Demian's path really made her dreams come true, which is why I like his path. Yea he's a douche xD but, he's not really deep down, and I like that about him. Each guy has their own charms so I don't even think I could just choose one, they're both great and well developed...and I'm going to bed AHHH xD

It was a good play. ^^; ahem~
Thank you for spreading the word about my little story to your friends!! It means a lot to have others help me spread the word about it ^^
I'm really glad you enjoyed the story! I was really worried how everyone would take to the writing and storytelling so I did a lot of research and studying on different ways to described situations so it's really reassuring to see that I was able to pull it off <3
I really had to laugh to myself at your comment about Edavine being a chocolate hunkzilla! I'm sure he'd get a kick out of that one if he heard someone saying that about him also :3

As for me on my dad's side from what I know it's just normal brown/dark skinned descendant on my mothers side that's were it's more of a mixture. I don't know much about my grandmother's side clearly but my grandfather is half white half Indian but I'm not quite sure if my blood line would have much affect on my art style ^^; I guess because of what I'm use to seeing around me and what I grew up around that's what I draw the most so I draw a mixture of different things but thank you for asking ^^ My sisters know a lot more because I'm sure I'm missing a lot about my family history and what we're all mixed with but this is what I've heard from my grandfather with my own two ear so far ^^.

Thank you again so much for spreading word about my game! That really help encourage me to keep pressing on to make new one and finish up the other to that I have on the back burner right now so don't feel shy about leaving me any comments because I read them all and they really help brighten my day ^^ *I was a little under the weather that past few days but I'm doing much better now*

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#62 Post by philip »

StarryCub wrote:Ahh I haven't been able to get this to work on my mac :'( When i open up the game, it has a black line across the title screen which looks like a glitch, and it wont let me click anything so that I have to force quit! Not sure if it is just my mac? I tried the mac version and the all versions links! Sad that I couldn't try out your game! :cry:
I'm also a Mac user: I just downloaded the story and opened it; all went well. so the problem must be with StarryCub's machine.

I have read all the praise being heaped on this story, and am anxious to go through it - will be back with any comments I may have - betcha they will all be positive ones!
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Morishita
Veteran

#63 Post by Morishita »

philip wrote:
StarryCub wrote:Ahh I haven't been able to get this to work on my mac :'( When i open up the game, it has a black line across the title screen which looks like a glitch, and it wont let me click anything so that I have to force quit! Not sure if it is just my mac? I tried the mac version and the all versions links! Sad that I couldn't try out your game! :cry:
I'm also a Mac user: I just downloaded the story and opened it; all went well. so the problem must be with StarryCub's machine.

I have read all the praise being heaped on this story, and am anxious to go through it - will be back with any comments I may have - betcha they will all be positive ones!
Thank you for downloading the game, I'm still in the process of having the story re-proofread so hopefully that doesn't bother or disturb your enjoyment of the game but I hope that you are able to enjoy it as well ^^ Thank you for giving it a try.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#64 Post by philip »

Hi Morishita- Well, I had intended to go through the story for the first time tomorrow, but everyone was so enthusiastic and had said such nice things about it that I just couldn't wait! So here I am, it's almost three AM, and I have just finished the Edavine arc (I LOVE happy endings!). Will have another go at it tomorrow. What a wonderful effort on your part!

Generally speaking, I tend to be a big picture sort of guy, so the typos did not detract from my enjoyment of the overall well done story. However, agreeing with what one earlier poster said, I am also somewhat of an english-nazi; the point being that it would add a bit of polish to an already great effort if the misspellings and other minor typos could be corrected.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Morishita
Veteran

#65 Post by Morishita »

philip wrote:Hi Morishita- Well, I had intended to go through the story for the first time tomorrow, but everyone was so enthusiastic and had said such nice things about it that I just couldn't wait! So here I am, it's almost three AM, and I have just finished the Edavine arc (I LOVE happy endings!). Will have another go at it tomorrow. What a wonderful effort on your part!

Generally speaking, I tend to be a big picture sort of guy, so the typos did not detract from my enjoyment of the overall well done story. However, agreeing with what one earlier poster said, I am also somewhat of an english-nazi; the point being that it would add a bit of polish to an already great effort if the misspellings and other minor typos could be corrected.
Thank you for reading the through the Edavine's path ^^ I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it. Once the re-proofread version is finished I will post it up so that the errors will be corrected ^^ Thank you for understanding <3

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#66 Post by distorsion »

May I ask who did the art? If the VN I'm writing ever gets to the stage where it'll actually be produced, I would love to have tham do the art for it.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Morishita
Veteran

#67 Post by Morishita »

distorsion wrote:May I ask who did the art? If the VN I'm writing ever gets to the stage where it'll actually be produced, I would love to have tham do the art for it.
Thank you for asking. I'm the artist, writer and coder of the game so feel free to pm me if you have a project that isn't to big and that you think I may be interested in doing ^^, Thank you for showing interest in my art <3

Apsiring Writer

#68 Post by Apsiring Writer »

Hello,

I stumbled onto this game, and was intrigued with the storyline. But I had to inspected the reviews the game itself received, so that I could have a feel of what was presented before me. The comments were mostly positive which is a good thing. It gave me the encouragement to give the game a try.

For the main character, Acacia, she is a strong - willed, tough, ferocious woman which intrigued me even more. And for the fact that you didn't made appeared as an angel shows that what's on the inside is what counts, and not what's on the outside. She defended herself from everyone, and locked her emotions inside of her; that shows that she doesn't want anyone to pity her. Overall, the heroine seems realistic expect that she was obsessed with fairytales, but some people are.

For the first love interest, Damine, he has this flirtatious attitude; calm; a little vain; somewhat reserved. There is always one of these guys in an Otome game. While playing his route, I got a good hysterical laugh. The way he treated Acacia was genuine, even though at times, it was childish. The flaws of his personality made him seems realistic. He reminded me of one of my characters in my book. Well, the only thing they shared is the flirtatious behaviour. Overall, I enjoyed his route.

For the second love interest, Edavine, he is tough, stubborn, childish, caring, anger issues. These traits that he possessed made his character even more interesting and realistic. His route was fairly decent, and some what unexpected. He is very gentle and childish, but when can be serious when needed. The touch of his personality was almost realistic, and opened more to the readers. His route seemed the most developed if I might add.

The errors bothered me a little bit; always seemed to be nudging at me. Just a few simple mistakes such as some misspelling; comma misuse or missing; the semi colon misuse rarely, and others. But I ignored them since the story had such a developed plot and characters as well. Also, I read that you were gathering up proofreaders and fixing those mistakes, so it's good to know. Since I'm a writer, I got to say the writing was good, and your word choice usage was fairly decent.

Got to hand it to you, the game came out pretty good! The art was lovely. I don't know much about art since I'm not an artist, but yours were definitely enchanting. Doing most of the things that helped created this lovely piece of work and not giving back on the challenges ahead proves that you're the type of person that doesn't give up easily. Congrats on releasing your game!

Morishita
Veteran

#69 Post by Morishita »

Apsiring Writer wrote:Hello,

I stumbled onto this game, and was intrigued with the storyline. But I had to inspected the reviews the game itself received, so that I could have a feel of what was presented before me. The comments were mostly positive which is a good thing. It gave me the encouragement to give the game a try.

For the main character, Acacia, she is a strong - willed, tough, ferocious woman which intrigued me even more. And for the fact that you didn't made appeared as an angel shows that what's on the inside is what counts, and not what's on the outside. She defended herself from everyone, and locked her emotions inside of her; that shows that she doesn't want anyone to pity her. Overall, the heroine seems realistic expect that she was obsessed with fairytales, but some people are.

For the first love interest, Damine, he has this flirtatious attitude; calm; a little vain; somewhat reserved. There is always one of these guys in an Otome game. While playing his route, I got a good hysterical laugh. The way he treated Acacia was genuine, even though at times, it was childish. The flaws of his personality made him seems realistic. He reminded me of one of my characters in my book. Well, the only thing they shared is the flirtatious behaviour. Overall, I enjoyed his route.

For the second love interest, Edavine, he is tough, stubborn, childish, caring, anger issues. These traits that he possessed made his character even more interesting and realistic. His route was fairly decent, and some what unexpected. He is very gentle and childish, but when can be serious when needed. The touch of his personality was almost realistic, and opened more to the readers. His route seemed the most developed if I might add.

The errors bothered me a little bit; always seemed to be nudging at me. Just a few simple mistakes such as some misspelling; comma misuse or missing; the semi colon misuse rarely, and others. But I ignored them since the story had such a developed plot and characters as well. Also, I read that you were gathering up proofreaders and fixing those mistakes, so it's good to know. Since I'm a writer, I got to say the writing was good, and your word choice usage was fairly decent.

Got to hand it to you, the game came out pretty good! The art was lovely. I don't know much about art since I'm not an artist, but yours were definitely enchanting. Doing most of the things that helped created this lovely piece of work and not giving back on the challenges ahead proves that you're the type of person that doesn't give up easily. Congrats on releasing your game!
Thank you for trying out my story ^^, I'm grateful for everyone's kind reviews of my Nanoreno story and I'm happy that they were able to persuade you to give it a try too. I'm also really happy to see that you enjoyed it as well ^^ Thank you so much for such a detailed and considerate review! I plan on emailing my second proofreader tonight to see how things are going with the files so hopefully I'll be able to post up the corrected version soon ^^;
Thank you again for playing it and leaving me a comment about your thoughts on the story~

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#70 Post by buttdumpling »

Oh my god I laughed all the way through this!! It was sooo cute!!
I really liked Acacia, she was so great. I really connected with her <3

PancakesofDoom
Projects: Summer Wishes
Organization: Little Orchid Studios

#71 Post by PancakesofDoom »

Oh my goodness I just finished playing the whole story and I was really blown away! First of all, your art is GORGEOUS. It's very unique in a good way of course. Like I was just so distracted because I was too busy looking at the pretty art ^^ Second, the whole idea/concept was really interesting to me since it's not your everyday otome game.

But what I really loved about the game was the characters. I think there are a lot of girls that can relate to Acacia, me being one of them. I am not very girly and I enjoy things that most girls wouldn't, so it was really easy for me to see where Acacia is coming from since her mother, Aeron, and her sister (though not as extreme as the other two) wish that she could be more proper and ladylike. Plus, she had her adorable and funny sides too so you can see that she's much more than a tough tomboy. I think you did a really good job in writing her character!

Now for Damien, I thought he was that typical cool, arrogant yet nice on the inside kind of guy. But those are actually my favorite kind of guys to go for in games haha so I did enjoy his route. He was cocky and sweet at the right times. Plus, I found it really cute when Aeron reveals to Acacia that
Damien would leave his group of friends every time she would go out to be by herself.
And I liked it when he got jealous but he was kind of confused about why he was so angry.

And of course Edavine! He was such a sweetie. He's also a big flirt too, but he truly likes Acacia for who she is and he thinks that she doesn't need to change. I'm pretty sure any girl would want a guy like that. Instead of being repulsed by her behavior like everyone else, he fell in love with that. And the ending was "aww" since he got his friends to help him out
(Lol gosh Aeron is such a little brat, seriously!)
Anyways, I really enjoyed both routes that it's hard for me to pick which one a like better (though I'm slightly leaning more towards Edavine). This was a wonderful game and although there were a few grammar errors, the art and story totally made up for that :)

Morishita
Veteran

#72 Post by Morishita »

buttdumpling wrote:Oh my god I laughed all the way through this!! It was sooo cute!!
I really liked Acacia, she was so great. I really connected with her <3
I'm happy that you were able to enjoy it ^^ Thank you for reading it all!~ I'm also happy to see that you enjoyed Acacia's personality, I wasn't sure at first how people would take to her, with her throwing a boy in the mud or spitting wad up paper near their feet and all ^^; but I'm happy you liked her <3
PancakesofDoom wrote:Oh my goodness I just finished playing the whole story and I was really blown away! First of all, your art is GORGEOUS. It's very unique in a good way of course. Like I was just so distracted because I was too busy looking at the pretty art ^^ Second, the whole idea/concept was really interesting to me since it's not your everyday otome game.

But what I really loved about the game was the characters. I think there are a lot of girls that can relate to Acacia, me being one of them. I am not very girly and I enjoy things that most girls wouldn't, so it was really easy for me to see where Acacia is coming from since her mother, Aeron, and her sister (though not as extreme as the other two) wish that she could be more proper and ladylike. Plus, she had her adorable and funny sides too so you can see that she's much more than a tough tomboy. I think you did a really good job in writing her character!

Now for Damien, I thought he was that typical cool, arrogant yet nice on the inside kind of guy. But those are actually my favorite kind of guys to go for in games haha so I did enjoy his route. He was cocky and sweet at the right times. Plus, I found it really cute when Aeron reveals to Acacia that
Damien would leave his group of friends every time she would go out to be by herself.
And I liked it when he got jealous but he was kind of confused about why he was so angry.

And of course Edavine! He was such a sweetie. He's also a big flirt too, but he truly likes Acacia for who she is and he thinks that she doesn't need to change. I'm pretty sure any girl would want a guy like that. Instead of being repulsed by her behavior like everyone else, he fell in love with that. And the ending was "aww" since he got his friends to help him out
(Lol gosh Aeron is such a little brat, seriously!)
Anyways, I really enjoyed both routes that it's hard for me to pick which one a like better (though I'm slightly leaning more towards Edavine). This was a wonderful game and although there were a few grammar errors, the art and story totally made up for that :)
Thank you so much! That's always good to know that others are able to enjoy my art ^^ There are times I feel very self conscience about it because it doesn't look like the cute big eye style *which I really think is so cute and sparkly <3* I'm also glad how much people where able to enjoy the story idea. Since I only had a month to work on this I went with the simplest idea that I could think of and took bits of things that happened in my life and merged it into this story, I knew if I'd make it to complex then it get to long and I wouldn't finish the work in time. I wasn't sure at first if anyone would like it but I'm really happy to see that so many do ^^

I'm also really happy to know that you enjoyed the characters just as much <3 That's always a bonus to hear that even though the characters have some negative traits they are still likeable! My idea for both routes was kind for the readers to play through Damine's route first then Edavine's route neck to get the full impact of the story but I'm happy to see that people are still struggling between whether they like Edavine or Damine. By the end of June I'll announce the winners and Edavine and Damine will be giving a special thank you message for all the kind comments they've received in the extra's section, plus a few more surprise.

For now I haven't heard back from one of the new proofreaders that had volunteered which is understandable. I hope to hear back from them soon with the rest of the files but if not then I'll try my best to catch the rest of the mistakes Q^Q *takes out fine tooth comb* I've already went through a lot of the codes, about 15 files I think? but I still have some more to go but once everything looks clean and perfect I'll make sure to re-upload the corrected version for everyone <3

I just want to also say thank you everyone for your patience with me on getting these files cleaned up. So far I'm working solo on all of my projects and every now and then I'm able to get the help with proofreading from some very kind people *Cara <3 and Narah <3* so I truly appreciate you not getting to upset with me and my silly mistakes ^^ I'll post up and update when the proofread version is up and ready *which will include a few extra cg's but don't expect to much with the CG's because I'm still new to cg'ing so they might look really basic Q^Q or boring or the same.....*.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#73 Post by Snow Blossom »

I... I don't understand.... HOW COME DAMIEN IS SO BEHIND IN THE POLLS ;A;
I loved his route, it was so awkwardly sweet and endearing and heart-wrenching >///<
I liked Edavine a lot too (I like his character design a little more, actually), but Damien's route just had me giggling creepily awkwardly 24/7 like some twitchy fangirl. >///>
The only thing that irked me overall was the number of typos, but even then, I played both the routes twice just because I liked the story so much. So yeah, great work! I'm looking forward to your future games!

Morishita
Veteran

#74 Post by Morishita »

Snow Blossom wrote:I... I don't understand.... HOW COME DAMIEN IS SO BEHIND IN THE POLLS ;A;
I loved his route, it was so awkwardly sweet and endearing and heart-wrenching >///<
I liked Edavine a lot too (I like his character design a little more, actually), but Damien's route just had me giggling creepily awkwardly 24/7 like some twitchy fangirl. >///>
The only thing that irked me overall was the number of typos, but even then, I played both the routes twice just because I liked the story so much. So yeah, great work! I'm looking forward to your future games!
Please forgive my late response Q^Q I just finished up with my first three day anime convention but I was really surprised also to see that Damine was behind in the poll too. Maybe he might have a turn around by the end of this month ;D I'm really happy you liked his path, he's definitely the more flirtatious one out of the two =><= Don't feel bad about being a twitchy fangirl because I can't help but cover my face in embarrassment when I read what I wrote ^^; I can't handle such sweet words like that hahaha!
Thank you so much for playing through it all! I really appreciate it<3

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#75 Post by Vilhelmina »

Oh wow. <3 This.

I just played through all the endings for this, and first of all, I have to commend you for creating such a strong, female protagonist! Acacia really got to me <3 Some main characters are so plain, but she really has a personality of her own - and what a personality it is! Also, you drew her beautifully!

About the endings;
Damine's was my favourite - I really loved how even in the midst of all THE FEELS Acacia was still being very much herself. xD She had me by the time she punched him in the beginning, I was like "You go, girl! Don't let him say things like that". But then he turned all sweet and that was okay, too. <3

I really liked Edavine as well - he's charming and it's so nice to see him go out of his way to defend Acacia's so-called flaws. <3 But! On that route; I was REALLY bothered by the fact that she almost gave in to Aeron. o_o I was just SO SCARED she might actually go through with it - I get that it was because she thought he wrote the letters, but still. I wished she would have fought back and insisted more on that she didn't say anything. o_o But for plot reasons I guess it makes sense, it was just heartbreaking to see it almost come to that, you know?
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios