Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Grey
Veteran

#31 Post by Grey »

The bigger Misato pic looks a lot better, the other one was too small to see all the detail!

Vector art looks difficult. I doubt I could do it nearly so well.

I can't say I've really used Photoshop, but when I have I haven't really liked it, so I use Paint Shop Pro instead. Not really hard colouring in that if you have some clean lineart (I always just scan in a picture and trace over it on a new layer...can't manage any of the colour tweaking that features in most tutorials.)

Incidentally PyTom, the girl in that picture looks like she wouldn't be oput of place in a nun outfit :? ...maybe the hairstyle etc reminds me of some other anime or something...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#32 Post by Otaku Dash »

Yey! I'm back...after all these time withought net ....(taking care of the computer.... :x gone bezerk don't know why :( ) i'm really happy for the increase of the posts in this thread *feels all warm and fuzzy inside* :P

PyTom -> Oooo! Very nice..(and very angelical :P :wink:) can't wait to see the final result of your game...

Eclipse -> The bigguer Misato pic is way better (can see some details that had missed before).... There is just one way of passing the tedious job of colouring in photoshop...and that is......MUSIC! Lots of it! And some breaks in the middle... :P (i'm still learning tho... :oops: )
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#33 Post by rioka »

Hi OtakuDash! Welcome back. =)

And yes, music does help. I have it on most of the time. A tablet helps for those long stretches too. I recommend you get one as it is easier on your hand. You'll never look back once you do. ...Kind of like moving from dialup to cable, DSL, or wireless. ^_^

Grey>> Wow, someone who doesn't like Photoshop. That's a first!

I don't know about vector as being hard. Things only look hard when you're just learning about it.

Anyways, I've been looking through this HTDM: Macromedia Flash Techniques - Illustrating Bishoujo characters (see image). The tutorials in it explains things quite clearly and their technique is much like using lasso's and whatnot. In fact, it looks pretty easy. =)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#34 Post by Otaku Dash »

Hi there! I'm Back from the void!!! :twisted: Seriouslly.....School started and its taking most of my time away :x

Here is a "some weeks old" pic made with open canvas.....

Eclipse -> Nice! That really will come in handy.... :D Moving foward with flash on you pics will make them awsome!! (well...more than they are now since they look amazing :P :D)

I haven't had much time to improve my coloring skillz but i'm still trying to imporve my drawing....

In the latest volume of the collection "How to draw manga" That i'm making, one of the things it shows is how to draw student uniforms well....i can't wait to try that out :)
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Iaman
Regular

#35 Post by Iaman »

Hey, i'm a newb here, but that will change soon... hopefully :wink:

i saw this forum, and i decided to post some of my art here, or at least links to them... so here they are

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10909560/

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8437932/

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8437684/

I colored the first one in photoshop, and the other two were done with crayola colored pencils.

I'm not really that great, and i suck at doing poses, but i hope to get better.

Oh, and the 3rd is a little kiddish version of me, wearing a hoody i used to love.
I have no pants!

Iaman
Regular

#36 Post by Iaman »

oh, and btw...

sai, i love your art style... it's really kawaii but cool at the same time... keep up the good work!
I have no pants!

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#37 Post by Sai »

Wow thank you ^^
It's really nice to hear someone say I have a 'style'... It's hard to see such a thing when you're the one drawing so I am happy to hear it makes you think that way ^^

By the way, welcome to the forum, I hope you'll enjoy it here.

Your artwork looks like it's coming along ^^ I find it interesting you seem to be practising with side-view poses the most right now, at least in those drawings anyway. I find a side-angle very difficult and I think others can find it hard too so it's probably useful to start there. Although I should probably give a friendly tip to you to experiment with different things too. For example I practised one aspect for a long time, the head, so I find the rest of the body more difficult x_x Getting a balance is hard though ^^
Nice that you're getting into Photoshop too and you seem to make use of colour which is good. I do mostly black and white stuff because I get tired with colouring. But colouring really adds to an image so it's good to get into it and give a new dimension to your drawings. Photoshop is probably difficult to grasp at first but regularly messing about with it is useful, my studies for art and design in general involved using Photoshop and having used it casually beforehand by playing about with stuff helped a lot.
You keep up the good work too!

Iaman
Regular

#38 Post by Iaman »

thanks for the compliments Sai!

Yea, photoshop is kinda weird at first, and it takes some getting used to, but when i finally get the hang of it, it'll be amazing...

actually, i have tons of drawings that i haven't uploaded or anything that are mostly pen and pencil drawings, because right now my scanner is being fixed so i can't scan any of them, but as soon as i can i will upload them to that site...
I have no pants!

Iaman
Regular

#39 Post by Iaman »

BUMP^^;;
I have no pants!

Lillico
Otaku Manga Maiden

#40 Post by Lillico »

hey guys ^_^ I'm back
I got my check from Lemma today so I'm going to go out and get a new scanner and I'll be submitting game art to him within a few days ^_^;
so anyway-
heres an example of what I've been up to with my tablet

Grey
Veteran

#41 Post by Grey »

Lillico wrote:I got my check from Lemma today so I'm going to go out and get a new scanner and I'll be submitting game art to him within a few days ^_^;
Check as in the go ahead that you're doing the art for a game, or cheque as in he's paying you? :shock:

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#42 Post by Blue Lemma »

Check as in payment - I'm starting to experiment with paying a small amount to artists who can produce results ^_^ Basically, fifty dollars plus 20% of any profits from (potential) future merchandise based specifically on the relevant game.

Good art is a primary requirement for a good visual novel, so I thought I'd invest a little in it. I guess I'm starting to get kind of serious now :D Of course, a payment means I'll be slightly less flexible on the art requirements and expect more volume, so future artists take note :P

By the way, Metropolitan Blues is getting programmed now 8)

Grey
Veteran

#43 Post by Grey »

How odd, a cheque being a check in American English, wheras in English it's a completely seperate word... heh, would you spell queue as cue? :roll:

Still it's a big incentive for artist not to just drop off the project cuz they don't feel like it any more, or can't find the effort.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#44 Post by PyTom »

Hm... If my understanding of British English is correct, the American English spelling of 'queue' is 'line'. At least, it's pretty rare to hear the term queue in the US outside of a computer related context (where it is universally spelled queue).

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#45 Post by rioka »

Cue would be something else completely: basically, the billiards pole, some kind of signal, or hint.

Hmm, future merchandise huh? Does that mean you'll be making swag and all them good stuff, Lemma? If that's the case, I've got dibs on any plush doll!

Ah, good to hear Metropolitan Blues is coming along. I can't wait to see the finished game!