Artist for Hire

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
heavyblade
Regular
Projects: Lucifer's Curse
Organization: Splitin2kun

Artist for Hire

#1 Post by heavyblade »

Hello!
I'm a game art student looking for some work to do! So if you need an artist who can work fast and deliver within deadlines, you've got your man!
Here's a link to my portfolio: http://rasanime.wix.com/rahulnarayanan#!artwork/c1ger Do have a look.

I don't have any qualms about drawing anything you desire. I'd love to try different things in fact.

Prices:
Sprite: 20 dollars for a sprite with 5 expressions. + 10 dollars for extra pose
BG : 20 dollars

Samples of my work if you're too lazy to click a link:
Attachments
samp1.jpg
infinite_noctus___concept_art_by_splitin2kun-d62q4nd.jpg
mainmenu_unblur.jpg
chauster.jpg
girl_1.jpg
xHeavyBladex_NA.jpg
Last edited by heavyblade on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to hire me for commissions? E-mail me at rsalimnarayanan@gmail[dot]com

PyroTyguy
Regular
Projects: [working on]: Spring Breeze
Organization: Home-room interactive: Teams 1&2

Re: Artist for Hire

#2 Post by PyroTyguy »

Hello I am Tyler From Homeroom interactive. We are currently looking for a background artist for our team. I really like your artwork and think your pay is pretty decent also. so if you can pm me or message our Facebook page (see below) we can talk about hiring.
I am the Former H-R Interactive but have changed username to PyroTyguy
Image Image Image

heavyblade
Regular

#3 Post by heavyblade »

Hello Tyler. I'll get in touch very soon.
Last week was very hard for me, so sorry for getting back to you so late.

Heavenbornvip
Regular

#4 Post by Heavenbornvip »

Is it $20 per background?

heavyblade
Regular

#5 Post by heavyblade »

Elsiversace wrote:Is it $20 per background?
Yes,because backgrounds need more attention with all the objects in the background. But this is subject to change as some bg's can be very simple or very hard. I've just given the average price, and it may go down based on the content.
However the price of the sprites won't go higher than this.

Lachez
Regular
Projects: Nakajo

#6 Post by Lachez »

Respect for the Elise pic yo ;)

heavyblade
Regular

#7 Post by heavyblade »

Haha, good to see another LoL player here. ^^

uglymod

#8 Post by uglymod »

heavyblade wrote:
Yes,

Wow, is this a normal estimate for this industry? I'm curious how a larger scale production would be able to afford $20 per BG if 4k BG images are needed. That would be 80 grand. That's the entire budget of our project.

I would suggest looking at a project before giving an estimate. You could be charging too much or too little.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#9 Post by Greeny »

uglymod wrote:
heavyblade wrote:
Yes,

Wow, is this a normal estimate for this industry? I'm curious how a larger scale production would be able to afford $20 per BG if 4k BG images are needed. That would be 80 grand. That's the entire budget of our project.

I would suggest looking at a project before giving an estimate. You could be charging too much or too little.
He's charging too little, actually. The general going rate for backgrounds, even those we can consider "great value", are at least over $30. As a developer, I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but hey.

I don't play many VN's from Japanese big producers, but four thousand backgrounds just seems silly, even for big productions. But then, I don't know this. I do know, that if you need 4k backgrounds to tell a story, you're a terrible storywriter.

But yeah, backgrounds are expensive. It takes artists, on average, a lot more time and effort to do them, after all.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#10 Post by SundownKid »

uglymod wrote: Wow, is this a normal estimate for this industry? I'm curious how a larger scale production would be able to afford $20 per BG if 4k BG images are needed. That would be 80 grand. That's the entire budget of our project.

He's definitely on the low end. My own project has about 20 BG's, 40 if you count edits like day/afternoon/night, and I can't see anything that I make myself going any higher unless I hire extra writers. 4000 backgrounds seems like an impossibly huge amount for any developer, indie or professional - I can see it going into triple digits, maybe, if you count background edits.
Last edited by SundownKid on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

100puro
Regular
Projects: Driftwood, FatexHeart

#11 Post by 100puro »

uglymod wrote: Wow, is this a normal estimate for this industry? I'm curious how a larger scale production would be able to afford $20 per BG if 4k BG images are needed. That would be 80 grand. That's the entire budget of our project.

Actually, it would be higher in the professional industry. Keep in mind also that 4k backgrounds is a HUGE amount of backgrounds, and I've never seen a visual novel have that many, nor would I ever expect to.

For reference, creating one 30min anime episode takes $100,00~$300,000 and roughly $10,000-~$20,000 of that budget goes to backgrounds alone. In one episode that's probably going to be around 50~100 backgrounds I'm guessing (though more or less depending on the show). That's going to be around $200 per background.

Also around these parts $20 per background is not unheard of and is pretty cheap. I would suggest looking at some of the other threads before you make a comment like this.
Last edited by 100puro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::Currently looking for work! <3::
Doing sprites, cg's, and chibis. PM me if interested!

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#12 Post by Kato »

uglymod wrote:
heavyblade wrote:
Yes,

For this skill level, $20 a background is very reasonable. If anything, it's undercharging.

4... 4000 backgrounds?? I don't think I've ever seen a production even close to that. Regardless, large production companies will hire professional freelancers and the like, who charge a considerable amount more for their work. In the end it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and I'm sure heavyblade will have no shortage of work for these prices.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

heavyblade
Regular

#13 Post by heavyblade »

Thank you guys for backing me up. I really appreciate that. ^^

I've priced backgrounds at 20$ just because I feel my bgs are not on the same level as my sprites. I know it takes much more time than making sprites, but I intend to increase the price of my bg's once I feel convinced of my skill in them.

And as the others have mentioned, I can't really imagine 4k backgrounds in a VN as even the very popular VN's didn't have that many.
In case you find my prices too high, I suggest you find another artist willing to work for you.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#14 Post by FatUnicornGames »

uglymod wrote:
heavyblade wrote:
Yes,

My boyfriend does designs for a professional animated show that just started production. Generally they expect 4 illustrations a day (not colored). They expect him to spend 8 hours a day drawing for them and he makes a decent deal over a thousand dollars a week. Now he is a professional, but those backgrounds look like they probably take way more than the 45 minutes it would take him professionally drawing to make $20. Art is a job that not everyone can do, so it is a specific, rare skill. As such, it just costs more to get any kind of quality. I too think that the artist is lowballing the price a bit, but hey they'll get work faster when it is a deal.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

heavyblade
Regular

#15 Post by heavyblade »

FatUnicornGames wrote:My boyfriend does designs for a professional animated show that just started production. Generally they expect 4 illustrations a day (not colored). They expect him to spend 8 hours a day drawing for them and he makes a decent deal over a thousand dollars a week. Now he is a professional, but those backgrounds look like they probably take way more than the 45 minutes it would take him professionally drawing to make $20. Art is a job that not everyone can do, so it is a specific, rare skill. As such, it just costs more to get any kind of quality. I too think that the artist is lowballing the price a bit, but hey they'll get work faster when it is a deal.

Thanks for mentioning this. It enlightened me about the actual industry environment. ^^ I really appreciate it.