Keyboard shortcuts all not working (OS X specific?)

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Munisix
Projects: Project Written
Organization: ALICE IN DISSONANCE

Keyboard shortcuts all not working (OS X specific?)

#1 Post by Munisix »

Good day everyone.

Ever since I updated to 6.15.3.303, all of the default keyboard shortcuts are no longer functioning. This includes everything from the user end "F" key shortcut for fullscreen and all of the shift +"key" functions for developers. Tested on a 27" iMac and a Macbook Air both running OS X 10.8.3 and both do not work. (And yes, config.developer is set to True)

Does work fine on a Windows computer though, so I'm guessing it's a Mac OS X specific issue.

The game I'm working on is actually quite lengthy and not being able to hotkey reload is starting to becoming an unbearable nuisance.
Anyone have an idea about what this issue is about or is it just my machines?

Munisix
Projects: Project Written
Organization: ALICE IN DISSONANCE

Re: Keyboard shortcuts all not working (OS X specific?)

#2 Post by Munisix »

Quick update. Updated to 6.15.320 but the keyboard situation still hasn't been addressed. (I wasn't counting on it since it wasn't mentioned in the changelog but I digress).

Am I a part of a rare few that's developing on Mac OS X? I'll be glad to supply any kind of info in order to help out.

Just to reiterate...

With the exception of the 4 arrow keys to make selections (during game play), no other keyboard inputs are being registered. This includes basic functions like "return (or enter)" to continue dialoge, "esc" to cancel yes_no_boxes and "f" for fullscreen. This is a pretty big issue as it is but what's even more frustrating is the developers shortcut keys not working. Things like "shift +r" to reload and "shift+d" and alike. I own 3 Mac's all running OS X 10.8.3 and I have tested 6.15.4.320 on all of them and can confirm that the problem is consistent. I'm quite sure it's a "Foreign Policy" issue since everything was fine before 6.15.

I'd like to state that this isn't a complaint or even a request; it's a plea for closure. Is this a universal issue with Mac OS X? Is it just an oddly specific issue with my 3 machines? Is the number of people developing or even just playing on OS X so insubstantial that this problem is still going unnoticed? (I mean how else can such a detrimental issue be unaddressed for such a long time?) Is the problem known but just prioritized lower because of OS X's paltry demographic?

Whatever the answer is to any of these questions, I have no gripes and have nothing but respect to everyone participating in the development of Renpy. I just want to know if I have to consider a bootcamp partition or to start learning Adobe Air.

Thanks for your time in advance.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Keyboard shortcuts all not working (OS X specific?)

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'll try to look into this soon. (I need to get a keyboard onto my mac, which usually runs headless.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom