Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3106 Post by CheeryMoya »

MaiMai wrote:Also, this just brings up the point where I noticed people who get into the free games we have here tend to expect VN makers to stick to one genre/storyline.
Funny you say that, I keep genre-hopping. I think it's better to be savvy in as many types of things as possible? I'm still trying to find out what I do best. Then again, the people who do anticipate my games are the type of people who prefer something new, so I don't get flak for experimenting around.
Reikun wrote:I only have 4 more weeks left in this semester but I'm all burned out. I don't know how I'm going to keep going with final projects due and exams soon u___u I just want to fail all my classes and work on my games/commissions but I know that's not really an option. Argh.
Bluh, burn out :c Try to think of it this way: it's only 4 more weeks. You've already gotten through most of the semester, you can do this!

Oh, and as for why I'm here? I remembered that mail (yes, traditional and not electronic) wasn't instant and the scholarship I poured my blood, sweat, and buckets of tears into isn't going to make it to their office by tomorrow. Haha, I guess I can still reuse some answers for the next one. Life is such pain and suffering ❁◕ ‿ ◕❁
Seriously though, this is 2013. Can't colleges provide both electronic and traditional options for sending documents? This is why we can't have nice things.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3107 Post by Hijiri »

CheeryMoya wrote: Oh, and as for why I'm here? I remembered that mail (yes, traditional and not electronic) wasn't instant and the scholarship I poured my blood, sweat, and buckets of tears into isn't going to make it to their office by tomorrow. Haha, I guess I can still reuse some answers for the next one. Life is such pain and suffering ❁◕ ‿ ◕❁
Seriously though, this is 2013. Can't colleges provide both electronic and traditional options for sending documents? This is why we can't have nice things.
Most colleges and scholarship funds are already mostly digital, but there are still a few out there that are very traditional in the paperwork sense. The FASFA, for example, is both digital and physical. But the digital gets a faster response and clearance.

Why I am here:
My hyperthyroidism is coming back, and many of the horrid old symptoms I used to have (vertigo, panic attacks, chills, heart palpitations) are the first to return. Doctor has me on watch right now for thyroid storm, and told me to head to the ER should I experience fainting or weakness along with a racing heartbeat (Which means that my heart is ready to give out). I am a walking medical enigma or something, because I get over one thing and then something else comes and tries taking me down. I swear I spend more time sick than anything =A=
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3108 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Hijiri: Ack, that sounds horrible! *bro-hug*

Health is one of those things you don't really appreciate until you lose it. *is reminded to appreciate :) *
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3109 Post by mugenjohncel »

This is bad. My Homepage is now SweetIM and I don't remember putting it in there and I swear I didn't download anything funny nor did I download any of those animated screensavers (as far as I can remember). I have a bad feeling I've been infected with something... This stupid SweetIM is stubborn and I cannot remove it no matter what I tried. It's on Chrome, IE and even Firefox which is not good. What's really odd is that Norton Stopped working as if it's deliberately shut down. I'm glorious WindowsXP by the way. This is one of those times where I wished I were a computer programmer or something so I wouldn't be helpless in such situations... :(

"POOF" (Disappears)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#3110 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'm glorious WindowsXP by the way.
No amount of computer programming can help you there :lol:
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3111 Post by MaiMai »

CheeryMoya wrote:
MaiMai wrote:Also, this just brings up the point where I noticed people who get into the free games we have here tend to expect VN makers to stick to one genre/storyline.
Funny you say that, I keep genre-hopping. I think it's better to be savvy in as many types of things as possible? I'm still trying to find out what I do best. Then again, the people who do anticipate my games are the type of people who prefer something new, so I don't get flak for experimenting around.
Yeah, I've been thinking of possible VNs/KNs I could do since I don't think I'd be too happy if I did a straight up otome (even though my most fully realized story idea is pretty much that). My examples were more of the people who have produced said free games and then the audience wants them to make more of the same thing.

But really, if you're making a free game for all to enjoy, you might as well have fun making what you want.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3112 Post by Taleweaver »

mugenjohncel wrote:This is bad. My Homepage is now SweetIM and I don't remember putting it in there and I swear I didn't download anything funny nor did I download any of those animated screensavers (as far as I can remember). I have a bad feeling I've been infected with something... This stupid SweetIM is stubborn and I cannot remove it no matter what I tried. It's on Chrome, IE and even Firefox which is not good. What's really odd is that Norton Stopped working as if it's deliberately shut down. I'm glorious WindowsXP by the way. This is one of those times where I wished I were a computer programmer or something so I wouldn't be helpless in such situations... :(
Follow these handy instructions.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

kura-ou
Regular

#3113 Post by kura-ou »

I'm really scared...and kind of sad...

This afternoon, when I prepared to sign up for classes for this fall, my university decided to charge me over $1k and didn't even state a reason. This type of thing wasn't there 3 days ago, and I am really disappointed because I wanted to get all the classes I need to graduate (I'll already be a year or two behind because classes aren't offered as often enough), but it looks like all the core classes I need will be filled. I'm planning on giving them my mind tomorrow because it's ridiculous. They already took all of my grant money for tuition, and now, I barely have enough for some of my required texts, let alone summer tuition, fall tuition and even gas money for the specimen-collecting field trips outside of class this quarter. My grant has already been cut for next Fall, I'm really angry that they decided to do this to me without reason. I'm scared that if it is legit, I wouldn't know what to do to pay for these fees... ._.

And, well, I suppose I shouldn't have any expectations for fake friends. I barely met them only a few months ago last year. They 'act' nice, and that's about it. Whenever they're in need of $ for necessities, I always try to find a way to promote their causes and have even donated money to one of them because it was a matter of life/death. It wasn't much to normal people, but being as poor as I am, it was to me...I guess I'm disappointed that the person didn't even thank me. When one of my family members was in trouble and needed funds for medicine, one of my previous commissioners saw how distraught I was and offered to commission me to help pay for the medicine. It was really kind, and I graciously thanked the person.
I don't want to sound as if I'm morally-superior or anything, but well, I guess those people who called themselves my 'friends' aren't really. I find it funny, however, that I'm poorer than them and try to do my best to help them out, and in return, whenever I need help, no one cares. I kind of wish that I never met them because I value the real online friends that I made a few years ago so much more. They're not a burden to me, and we're all mutually-caring of one another.

I try to do the right thing when I can, because it feels nice and I like making others happy...? And having such an ill-defined friendship with these others isn't really helping me and I often think that they're ridiculing me behind their back, being in their own clique and such with popular, influential people.

I'm not the type to let people walk all over me, and when I do get fed up, I would hope that it's for a good reason. Of course, it hurts when someone you used to look up to is supporting these people and finds you insignificant after so many years of knowing each other...
my portfolio
=>my *FREE* sketch request thread<=

I am currently booked for May/June/July, but if you would like to buy my ANIMU MERCHANDISE and ADOPTABLES to give them good homes and help keep my college finances afloat over the summer, it would be greatly appreciated ;w;

Cabriolean
Regular

#3114 Post by Cabriolean »

kura-ou wrote:I'm really scared...and kind of sad...

This afternoon, when I prepared to sign up for classes for this fall, my university decided to charge me over $1k and didn't even state a reason. This type of thing wasn't there 3 days ago, and I am really disappointed because I wanted to get all the classes I need to graduate (I'll already be a year or two behind because classes aren't offered as often enough), but it looks like all the core classes I need will be filled. I'm planning on giving them my mind tomorrow because it's ridiculous. They already took all of my grant money for tuition, and now, I barely have enough for some of my required texts, let alone summer tuition, fall tuition and even gas money for the specimen-collecting field trips outside of class this quarter. My grant has already been cut for next Fall, I'm really angry that they decided to do this to me without reason. I'm scared that if it is legit, I wouldn't know what to do to pay for these fees... ._.

And, well, I suppose I shouldn't have any expectations for fake friends. I barely met them only a few months ago last year. They 'act' nice, and that's about it. Whenever they're in need of $ for necessities, I always try to find a way to promote their causes and have even donated money to one of them because it was a matter of life/death. It wasn't much to normal people, but being as poor as I am, it was to me...I guess I'm disappointed that the person didn't even thank me. When one of my family members was in trouble and needed funds for medicine, one of my previous commissioners saw how distraught I was and offered to commission me to help pay for the medicine. It was really kind, and I graciously thanked the person.
I don't want to sound as if I'm morally-superior or anything, but well, I guess those people who called themselves my 'friends' aren't really. I find it funny, however, that I'm poorer than them and try to do my best to help them out, and in return, whenever I need help, no one cares. I kind of wish that I never met them because I value the real online friends that I made a few years ago so much more. They're not a burden to me, and we're all mutually-caring of one another.

I try to do the right thing when I can, because it feels nice and I like making others happy...? And having such an ill-defined friendship with these others isn't really helping me and I often think that they're ridiculing me behind their back, being in their own clique and such with popular, influential people.

I'm not the type to let people walk all over me, and when I do get fed up, I would hope that it's for a good reason. Of course, it hurts when someone you used to look up to is supporting these people and finds you insignificant after so many years of knowing each other...
I haven't made any real friends at uni yet, my two best friends are really amazing, but we are nowhere near each other and one of them has really settled in well. I'm glad for her, but we barely skype. My other friend is struggling with his course. The important thing to know is how much of a friend someone is.

There's this one guy I always sit with, but we're 'default friends', we went to the cinema once in October, and he kept trying to turn it into a date. One of the lecturers asked me to give him something, but we don't text, call or email each other, we don't even really like each other that much, but we always save each other a seat because standing around in a practical to find out who else is left over is incredibly awkward.

It's basically each other or nothing, so far we're sticking with each other, even though we have basically nothing in common, we do eat together in the canteen though.

Also one of my best friends came out as gay, which is okay, but I was hitting on him, and he thought I was flirting playfully when actually, I've been hung up on him for years. We dated, then he became really distant, but we were getting a hard time at school and he didn't tell me why, then he came out as a straight guy rather than a cis-girl (people thought we were lesbians, I'm actually pansexual). He needed a friend more than a girlfriend, but we were essentially still acting like we were dating, but without the kissing, we held hands etc. Which he didn't do with our other best friend. He never actually broke up with me, so it got really awkward when people asked if we were dating, because "I have no clue, but whatever we're doing our parents don't like it."

Mum kept setting me up on dates with guys, and trying to encourage me to be straight. It turned out, that she actually just really, really wants grandchildren. and after I pointed out that if I was with a guy and didn't want a child, I'd be using contraception anyway, and if I was with a woman and wanted children, we could get a sperm donor or adopt or whatever. Now she just keeps trying to dissuade me from dating people who don't want children. She basically assumed that if I settled with a woman (gay marriage was illegal at this time) the chances of her getting grandchildren plummeted, then again, my elder sister is engaged and I like a gay guy so.......

He has some really good friends at his uni, he's kind of going through some really bad stuff at the moment, so I can't tell him how I feel, normally it would be best if I could tell him, because some distance would do me some good, and if he knew why I needed it, he'd give it to me, also sometimes he asks me for advice about a guy he likes, and it's not really a topic I want to talk about. But at the minute he needs all the friends he can get, so I am both happy and dreading it every time he comes online.

I've tried really, really hard to make friends, but it just isn't happening, it doesn't help that my parents need money at the moment, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible, so the few times I do get invited places, I can't actually go. The closest friend I have, is actually my hamster, unless you count my laptop, I named it Naribelle, I named my cyclamen Chlamydia, it died.......

I like your art by the way, the shading on your sprites is awesome.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#3115 Post by Lishy »

I'm kinda getting tired of anti-semitism lately... -.-

They're really killing the liberty movement. Whenever there is someone speaking about liberty-minded issues, there is always some racist jackass commenting with anti-semitic conspiracy theories about Jews and zionism.

Being that I idolize Jesse Ventura, it's not odd that the people I see are fellow conspiracy theorists, but I'm pretty sure zionism is unrelated to anything Jesse Ventura talks about, and those comments are not only offensive, but also offtopic!
-

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#3116 Post by ebi brain »

I feel a flu coming on.

Such bad timing.

I can't get sick now, I have exams to study for.
Why do I always get sick when I'm at my busiest >:0

But I guess it was inevitable as both my parents are ill so I was going to get infected sooner or later anyway. T_T
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#3117 Post by Lishy »

Pisses me off. There are people who actually believe Jews "follow their nature" to do evil, because of a scripture in the bible? How can people be so stubbornly offensive? The same people who deny being Jewish as a culture and race? There aren't even enough genetic differences between a white man and a black man, yet somehow Jews are exceptional?

And you know what else? I'm getting fucking tired of people obsessed with the Zionist conspiracy theory.
Last edited by Lishy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#3118 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Lishy: Bigotry sucks, but I'm afraid this is headed into possible forum-exploding politics there @_@

@ebi: Murphy's law! Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and those flu bugs are just waiting to strike at the "best" time ><
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#3119 Post by Lishy »

Blue Lemma wrote:@Lishy: Bigotry sucks, but I'm afraid this is headed into possible forum-exploding politics there @_@
I actually erased half my post to prevent specifically that.
-

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3120 Post by DaFool »

I tend to find heroines in JP otome games to be prettier and overall more appealing than the heroines in JP bishoujo games.

1.) They are more stylish, dressing up in nicer clothes (compared to school uniform #1207 just with a larger ribbon)
2.) They are more slender, a body design of women of late teen/early twenties (compared to "moe" which are of Hobbit proportions)
3.) Their expressions are way more cuter in response to the male character advancing hanky panky agenda. (compared to ahegao expression #948)
4.) They tend to be in softer shaded CG style, something I want to learn (compared to more celshaded style)

And it isn't because they are drawn by female artists either. The female artists who work on bishoujo games take on the majority bishoujo style, complete with cut and paste faces.

So thus I have a dilemma. I love the gritty themes and stories of seinen, but I also adore the shoujo art style. I was hoping someone will take the elaborate, intricate designs of shoujo/otome and transplant them into seinen/bishoujo. That would be the ideal game for me. It's probably why I like the steampunk genre so much, since it provides the perfect opportunity to combine flowery dresses and embroidery with badass machinery.