The Girl in Red [Fantasy, Fairy Tale, GxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

The Girl in Red [Fantasy, Fairy Tale, GxG]

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

In fairy tales, wolves are always the bad guys... But, what about the wolves who don't want to blow houses down or eat little girls in red hoods? This is the story of such a wolf. A wolf girl that's been warned all her life to stay within the limits of the den area. She's been told, time and time again, "do NOT go beyond the gates."

In a moment of impulsive rebellion, she ventures outside those very gates - and runs right into a human girl. Her wolf ears hidden, the human girl assumes that the wolf girl's human too, and a friendship starts.... But the very thing that threatens their growing friendship is the blood in their veins and the moon waxing fuller every night.

Characters

*Note: all character names are to be decided.

While other wolves practice their howling and hunting skills, the Wolf Girl would much rather paint and do humanlike things. She wants to break free from the pack mentality of the den area she's grown up in. An argument with her mother motivates her to venture into the humans' side of the fence, where she meets a girl in search of a particular flower.

The Human Girl assumes that the Wolf Girl is a traveler upon meeting her. On a hunt for a rare flower, she was walking right along the risky border between human and wolven territory. Her primary hobby is lockpicking. She comes from the village that played one of the strongest roles in the wolven banishment and great schism between wolves and humans.

Mama Wolf doesn't approve of her daughter's rebellious nature, and she'd be especially enraged to find out that her daughter was talking with the enemy. She's one of the wolves instrumental in planning the revenge and strike against the humans, happening on the next Full Moon.

Formerly a farm-raised pig, but no longer one due to special circumstances. The Pig Girl is friends with the Human Girl, which is unusual (humans generally don't socialize with animals). She immediately smells through the Wolf Girl's disguise, and, in private away from the Human Girl, lets her know how badly she reeks of a wolf. Knowing full well that she has the upperhand, she decides to blackmail the Wolf Girl.

Setting

The Girl in Red takes inspiration from The Little Red Riding Hood and other fairy tales here and there, while still sporting a storyline of its own. The animals in this universe all have "neutral state" forms in which they look human save for their ears. Heavy emotions or severe domestication make them look more animalistic. Having a neutral state makes it easier for the Wolf Girl to be able to hide her wolfishness under her hat.

Humanity relies on steampunk technology, although the tech's not advanced enough yet to support vehicles. Their focus as of late has been in weaponry, due in part to their bad relations with the wolves. Farming machines are mostly in the testing phases. It's an exciting concept for mankind.

Following a brutal incident that happened years prior to the game, the humans and wolves signed a treaty to agree not to cross into each other's lands. Unfortunately, the wolves' side is running dangerously low on resources. Food is becoming scarce - something that wasn't an issue when wolves freely shared the land with the humans. They're delivered sheep from time to time, but even that's not enough.

Features

- Writing by kaleidofish
- Art by the tremendously talented clua
- A new take on a classic tale
- GxG romance
- Multiple endings: decide your place in the human versus wolf conflict (will blood be thicker than water?), pursue a forbidden romance (how far will your secret go?), help determine everyone's fates (who will be left standing after the Full Moon?), and more
- To be announced (probably some cool programming with a little help from my friends)

Progress & Questions

The sprites are done. Work on other parts of the artwork (main menu, text box, etc) will be started soon. The art's been great! ^_^ We did have a composer (you can listen to one of his tracks if you hunt for him on my website), but he seems to have moved on, which is alright.

I started this project around the end of last summer, but only got into a couple of months of development on it for personal reasons. Writing has been slow, due to multiple reasons (university, editing & outline refinement, life, my other visual novel). I expect it to kick up after my midterms have been dealt with, unless school suddenly becomes all-consuming.

As for questions...

Any suggestions for names? Haha, these characters have been in my head for a long time now, but I still haven't come up with a name for any of them.

What do you think of the story? Or even the setting? Let me know what you think!

If you have any questions or words of encouragement, fire away.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

Re: The Girl in Red [Fantasy, Fairy Tale, GxG]

#2 Post by Razz »

This sounds amazing. I really like the wolf girl, since she's going against what's expected of her. Interesting the human girl knows lockpicking, she seems like the innocent type.

And then of course clua art is always gorgeous. ;w;

Name suggestions...
Wolf girl:
Piper
Effie
Zofia
Velle

Human girl:
Annabel
Rose

Pig girl:
Marietta
Pitter (maybe her sisters named patter)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#3 Post by Obscura »

My goodness, that's an intimidating writer/artist combo. Sounds very cool and original. Looking forward to it!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Fleeples
Projects: If!Girl

#4 Post by Fleeples »

Love the look of this. I look forward to it.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#5 Post by pickle131 »

This looks/sounds amazing so far! I'll definitely keep an eye on this~ If you ever decide to use voices, I'd love to send in my demo or audition c:
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

magbie
Regular

#6 Post by magbie »

Please finish this D: Good ideas are meant to be realized
I'll be in the back, waving pompons

Adoxographist
Regular

#7 Post by Adoxographist »

OH SNAP! I super love fairy tales and fairy tale inspired stuff. This looks incredible and the setting seems incredibly promising!

As for name suggestions... I really like Razz's suggestion for Piper! Hahaha.
And for the human girl, maybe something short and sweet like... Ellie?
I'm pretty stuck for the other characters though. BUT BEST OF LUCK ON COMPLETING YOUR VN!

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#8 Post by clua »

Thank you for the good wishes guys! I'm very glad that Kaleido choose me to work for her story :A:
Any observations/feedback on my art are very welcome!

About the names: I like Razz suggestions on Human girl (Annabel) and Pig girl(I love Marietta...I actually like the "etta" because It sounds like an over decorated name haha. Like pig girl with all those ribbons)

Hmm for wolf girl and momma wolf I would suggest something that sounds less like a human name? Maybe an object/ animal or something to do with nature? Dunno like flowers (Iris, Aster and Freesia sounds cool to me, welp, I'm not english speaker so I'm not sure how cool this sounds to you haha)

weeeee
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Adoxographist
Regular

#9 Post by Adoxographist »

Hmm... I think that's a really cool idea, since they're not human after all! I think maybe choosing a name like Iris or Aster might lose the effect you're going for, since they are also used as human names? *A*

Oh! You could also consider giving the wolves non-english names? That might still make them seem more foreign. And you could use names that basically mean wolf! Although that might be a bit obtuse, hahaha.
But I guess going by that, can I suggest Lupa, or Ylva?

ALSO HERE ARE SOME OTHER FLOWER NAMES:
Primrose, Bryony, Posie, Azalea!

(P.S. Your art is super pretty!)

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#10 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

I love the sound of this game. I love fairytales and this seems a new take on things. I've never seen a pig girl before. She's cute.

I'll admit I like alliterative names or names that have meanings. That might be too close though.

Wolf Names
Luna
Lupe
Ylva - means she-wolf

Pig Names
Peggy - Piggy-Sue! Piggy-Sue!
Peigi - alternative Scottish spelling
Porcia/Portia - means pig
Eofora - Means boar

Human Names
Eve
Hannah

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#11 Post by Alera »

I like the setting, I like the idea, I love the art, I'm looking forward to this *A*
And I'm really bad with coming up with names, so I'll just stay quiet XD
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#12 Post by kaleidofish »

Thank you all for the positive feedback so far! I only have about 10 minutes to write this reply so I probably won't be able to address everyone in this one post.

@ Razz - Yes, locks are pretty key to her character. Guess she might not be as innocent as she looks. You'll have to wait and see how her locksport come up in the story. XD That's a lot of good names. I'm definitely considering a few of them, thank you!

@ Obscura - Yeah, we make a good team. Clua's been great to work with. Thanks for thinking of us as "intimidating." Hope the game won't disappoint. XD

@ Fleeples - Thanks! Keep an eye on this thread and my website for all the latest updates.

@ pickle131 - Thank you, I'll definitely keep you in mind if we decide to add any voice acting.

@ magbie - Oh, awesome, a cheerleader. ^_^ Don't worry, this game will definitely be finished. Unfortunately, I can't give an ETA until Skylines, my other visual novel, is finished. So please hang tight.

@ Adoxographist - THANK YOU! Oh yeah, Ellie's another good idea for a name. Thank you, I'm glad you find the project incredible so far. And, hmmm...flower names. That's clever, too. I'll take that into consideration. But you may be right when you say the wolfish names are a little obtuse. XD

@ clua - HI CLUA. I'm very glad you even agreed to work on the project, and have been working on it with such positivity and good energy. A++++. And, ooooh, a flower chart. Good idea! I'll look into it more closely later tonight.

@ Fairy Godfeather - Oh, I didn't know that Portia meant Pig. That's cute. Thank you for the list. And I agree, Clua did an amazing job with the Pig Girl's design. Look at her hands!!

@ Alera - Thank you, thank you, thank you. Glad you're looking forward to the project. :D Don't worry, I'm bad at coming up with names, too...hence this thread asking for name ideas. XD

whew, I did it.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#13 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

@kaleidofish I didn't notice her hands. I absolutely love them though. She's really cute.

Yeah Porcia/Portia's is derived from Porcius, which is dervived from porcus, same root as pork. Which I only just discovered too but it amused me. I'd want to call her Porcia Trotter, because Trotter's such a piglike surname. :P

I like all of their character designs. I like Mama Wolf's eyepatch, it makes her look tough.

What about deed-names for the wolves? With fierce names like Snarl and Fang and Rebel hmm I seem to remember a wolf-name generator. OH! I remember it wasn't a generator it was a meme that made me laugh with Moon Moon! http://imgur.com/gallery/aYCs8 However I bet there are wolf name generators.