Violence - [Thriller] [Mystery] [Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

Violence - [Thriller] [Mystery] [Romance]

#1 Post by Raithfyre »

"Violence is an inescapable part of our lives."

This is the idea presented in the senior thesis of Gale Kingsley, a sociology student. His entire project revolves around "the environmental theory of crime," which is the notion that criminals aren't just born, they're made. It's not just "something wrong in the brain." It's a result of outside forces, acting upon the individual.

What starts of as a series of petty crimes - breaking and entering, theft, and the like - quickly escalates into assault and kidnapping. Gale realizes that all these small sleights are the work of the same criminal as the more serious ones, a theory which is discarded by the police as irrelevant.

With his knowledge and college-age confidence, Gale jumps headlong into the criminal mind, pursuing this man whose actions become more and more violent. But every step Gale takes puts his quarry, the Social Media Killer, or SMK, two steps ahead.

So named for his propensity to use the victims' social networking accounts to not only taunt but also to gain notoriety, the SMK treats Gale with a fairly casual interest. That is, until Gale starts getting too close, and so the SMK starts targeting a bit closer to Gale...

"Close" for Gale is a pretty specific term since he only has three friends. One of his best friends, Jason, ran his way into scholarships while Gale studied. Kenna Macelroy, Gale's other longtime friend, is the complete opposite of Gale: a wild, hedonistic party-goer with a tendency to either live life on the line, or cross it. Her foil is Shana Ninian, a psych major and girl completely detached from human attachment. And with good reason.

The decisions Gale makes, and why, tend to err either towards his logical or emotional sides, which impacts his relationship with the corresponding girl. Kenna makes all her decisions based on her emotions, and it’d be easy for an emotional Gale to end up with her. But could cold logic temper her fire? Shana is deliberately devoid of emotion, choosing instead to protect herself with a shield of reason. A logical Gale is a kindred spirit, but perhaps someone a little more human would make a better match?

That's up to the reader.

- - -

Returning to our trend of trying to do new things in VN's, "Violence" will also be packed with a few extra features courtesy of our programming team. Due to the nature of these features, I can't be as liberal in sharing art as I usually am. Instead, I'll post some of our concepts, but probably no more than that.

Writers:
-Sir Mopalot

Musicians:
-Guron

Artists:
-Suqling
-Pirate.Affair
Gale's Face
Gale's Face
conceptcharjason.jpg
conceptcharkenna.jpg
b6lukKV.jpg
Last edited by Raithfyre on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

eingelle
Regular

Re: Violence - [Thriller] [Mystery] [Romance]

#2 Post by eingelle »

Oh snap. This is definitely going into my To-Play list. The concept art is amazing!!! The story is interesting as well!
I just checked out your musician's soundcloud and saw you have your own OST already ready for your game...!
I can't wait! /stalks

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#3 Post by Haze »

This sounds like a very original and interesting idea with a lot of potential. I listened to some of the soundtrack, and it sounds like it's going to be pretty cool, too.

I'm kinda curious, though: is this going to be free or commercial?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Raithfyre
Regular

#4 Post by Raithfyre »

Thanks for the support!

The game will be free to play.

Veniae
Veteran

#5 Post by Veniae »

This sounds really, really good. I also love the concept art! (Gale is quite hot, heh.) The best of luck and I'm looking forward to this game! <3

Anomandaris
Regular

#6 Post by Anomandaris »

This looks really interesting! I don't usually play as males in games, but the plot sounds so well-done that I'll definitely be playing this one - I'm a sucker for a good psychological mystery, especially with role-playing personality added into the mix!

I really, really love Kenna's concept art. The concept of Gale's face also looks absolutely amazing!

Do you have an estimate on how long you expect the playthrough time to be? Also, to what extent can you control the direction of Gale's investigation? (I'm really curious about those 'new features' you mentioned as well, but I suppose I'll have to wait until this comes out to see them!)

Raithfyre
Regular

#7 Post by Raithfyre »

Anomandaris wrote: Do you have an estimate on how long you expect the playthrough time to be? Also, to what extent can you control the direction of Gale's investigation? (I'm really curious about those 'new features' you mentioned as well, but I suppose I'll have to wait until this comes out to see them!)
Mm, I can provide a word count more easily than I can play time, and we're looking at 100-150k unique words (so that's not counting scenes that overlap between endings).

Your guess is as good as mine as to how much control the player we'll have. We're currently discussing ideas and trying to see what we can work into the game, but a large amount of it depends on what we can do within the engine. Personally, I'd like the player to have full control - which could include false leads and possibly indicting the wrong person. However, we'd have to walk a fine line to not make that a sort of Scooby-Doo gimmick ("It was X the whole time!" where X is some side character who you'd never consider) and due to our just wanting to get the game done, this probably won't make it into the final incarnation. If the game as a whole is well-received though, we might look into an extension of the system for a future release.

Guron
Projects: Violence
Organization: Arrival Studios

#8 Post by Guron »

eingelle wrote:Oh snap. This is definitely going into my To-Play list. The concept art is amazing!!! The story is interesting as well!
I just checked out your musician's soundcloud and saw you have your own OST already ready for your game...!
I can't wait! /stalks
Guys, thanks for the support! The OST is still far from finished, plenty of stuff coming up. And while we are on track, here's a piece for the game I just finished: https://soundcloud.com/jani-gr-hn/neural-overflow

(Pun most certainly intended.)

Guron
Projects: Violence
Organization: Arrival Studios

#9 Post by Guron »

Just finished the theme for the villain of the story, the SMK.

https://soundcloud.com/jani-gr-hn/i-am-thor-smks-theme

EDIT: And Jason's theme as well. Groovy.

https://soundcloud.com/jani-gr-hn/boon-jasons-theme