Cell Phone Love Letter

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#16 Post by Scout »

Wow, thanks. I was honestly worried for a while that it wouldn't be at all liked; guess I was sure wrong about that. And I assure you, it wasn't just half the night... basically, all of Ichigo's side (except for around 1000 words) was done on Saturday night. I figured the super-rush would kinda show.
DaFool wrote:1.) The style is very reminiscent of the al|together 2006 Jp game Collage. The text, the hyper-sliding widescreen backgrounds, the multiple perspectives, music. Tell me this wasn't at least inspired by it, and I'd have a hard time believing you.
Ooooh yeah. Big time. Jumping between perspectives has always been something I'm fond of, but Collage absolutely blew me away, and I've really been trying to incorporate that inspiration into something. I honestly don't think I would've bothered to try making a game if not for it-- it really shows that you don't need to be a great artist to have a piece that makes good use of the format.
DaFool wrote:3.) I didn't realize the click-to-continue indicator issue with NVL mode was actually useful, until I saw it here. By the way, I also did experiments using NVL mode in a larger-than-average textbox style -- I called it 'Crusader Mode' (named after the Crusader Helm which is the extreme widescreen slit that's become of the backgrounds). Apart from the humbling experience of being beaten to it with regards to using Crusader mode, I like the usage here and it couldn't be any better. Good job!
I don't actually know what you mean at all! The only time I use NVL mode is in the notes section (as pretty much just an afterthought)... everything else is just normal characters. So I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Crusader Mode, but don't worry, you haven't been beaten to the punch yet.
DaFool wrote:4.) Does the cell phone battery run out? I don't remember the green bars becoming any less as the story progressed :D
It also gets perfect reception in a concrete parking lot and in the Tokyo subway! I really want one, these are clearly some INCREDIBLY awesome cell phones. ;)
gekiganwing wrote:One thing which could be corrected: the heroine's week at school. In most Japanese schools, she would probably have to go to school on half of Saturday.
ARGH. I knew I'd end up doing things like that. Thanks for telling me... *thud*

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#17 Post by kara24601 »

Yay.
....finally got to the part about the fact that Ichigo is a girl's name....funny how she never thought more about her "boyfriend" 's name hahahaha
Really!
There's nothing more boring than day to day life." I know there's more to it than that but that's all I wanted to type...anyway, I just got to that part of the game and I seriously about cried. :oops: It's so true! Day in , day out , more often than not , even when you don't have to worry about school anymore , you go through the same stuff every day. You get up , eat , whatever , and except for minor differences that may show up...like conversations and things....well , it just bites so much.
OMG
What? I know they are in school and such , but thirteen and talking about sex? Geeze. Then again , I know my younger days were pretty crazy. My parents were weird about the sex issue back then so I had to learn all by myself what the big freaking deal was through stuff online and other things... :lol:
( yes I can't think up anything more intelligent for the filler stuff....sorry haha )

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#18 Post by mikey »

Okay...

First of all, the Notes section, it contains a monumental spoiler if you so much as even click on it before playing the game - luckily I didn't.

But, it doesn't matter. Basically, technicalities such as the crashing of the game when rolling back in the second story aside, for what this story is, what it says and does, it is simply... perfect.

When I played, I absolutely experienced this rollercoaster of the feelings of its protagonists - at first, being confused by Hazuki, even not knowing why she is like that, and I even thought of stopping reading when I was unable to make sense of it - and then that one thing that happened that completely changed everything and all of the sudden it was the most wonderful story ever written - and then there was the second story, romantic, and then somehow strangely fantastic, up to the point when I thought it was ruining everything, and then that other moment of realization and running away and all of the sudden it made sense again and it was precisely that profound, foolish, clumsy, loveable wonderful story - it was really great.

Some may say it's like one or two al|together releases, but that is not the point, because it's so much different to them in its heart. The two
(Collage and A Midsummer Day's Resonance)
and CPLR, they are all in their ways unique.

And that was my experience. I usually really like anime characters in my works, but does that matter? Yesterday and even today as I am writing this (being able to sleep over it), I can't escape the feeling that with the right viewpoint, this is as good as a ren'ai visual novel can get.

So congratulations on a wonderfully romantic game, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and hopefully you'll make more games in the future.

PS: Can the game be mirrored at the Ren'Ai Archives?
I would put this into BxG games, just to make sure the spoiler isn't revealed.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

This would be more appropriate for GxB, or probably GxBG. I'd say go with GxGB, since when the big reveal occurs during the first arc, nobody knows Wow, this is actually a fairly hard one to classify... I really need to restructure the archive a little.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#20 Post by Scout »

I've updated the first post with what I think should be the final version. Notes are now blocked unless you've gone through the second part, and the stupid rollback/save bug that I thought I fixed on day 1 is finally COMPLETELY fixed. They should finish uploading in an hour at most.

I'm glad it was able to have the emotional impact I wanted it to... with some of the comments I've gotten, I'm almost a bit frightened; I'm working out how my next game will go right now, and since I don't want to do this kind of story again, I hope expectations aren't stacked against me.

And yeah, of course you can mirror it.
I hid Ichigo's first name on the menu so I could advertise that her side of the story is about two girls, without actually spoiling anything, like I did on my website for it... but I'm not going to insist on anything. Since it's such a confusing scenario, I leave categorization in your capable hands. ;)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by monele »

Oop~... I forgot to write something about this ^__^.

What a lovely story! I was instantly reminded of Collage, of course, and it actually acted as a magnet. I'm very glad to say that it lived up to my high expectations ^__^.
You made a great job at making everything as stylish and original as possible, so a big bravo for that ^_^.

Ignosco
Veteran

#22 Post by Ignosco »

Sorry, it's taken me a while to get around to playing this....
I really felt caught up in a rush of emotions when reading, both Hazuki and Ichigo are such real characters and their thoughts and feelings are described so well that it really pulls you in.

The other main thing that stuck out (in a good way :) ) for me was the character art. Having the two shifting pictures for characters worked really well, and made the kiss at the end really stand out as a static picture.
One of the most beautiful VN's I've read,
Congratulations :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by mikey »

Ignosco wrote:One of the most beautiful VN's I've read,
Agreed, and I'm just posting to stress that again, for me it was the same, very very emotional. A wonderful work.

miriam
Regular

#24 Post by miriam »

Wow!
I laughed, I gasped, I despaired, I giggled, I swooned.
What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for making this.

Please don't ever stop writing.

Now I've started reading the stories on your website. I'm addicted. :)
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Hard Gay

UFOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#25 Post by Hard Gay »

OK, I'll admit... I am a bit hesitant to try this game at first because of the GxG theme in it but after finishing it I now realize that this story is more than just about Lesbians or GxG relationships. It's all about Friendships, The pain of being dumped, Simple Everyday Life and an incredible mobile phone that still manages to maintain a peak signal even on some of the most confined spaces.

Anyway, here's a fanart... this is my way of saying Thank You for the time I spent enjoying your work.

Hmm... encrypted PDF?... now that's something new to me...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

Spoiler spoiler spoiler ^^;...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by mikey »

minele wrote:Spoiler spoiler spoiler ^^;...
Indeed, that's a spoiler... a big one. That's the whole point why I liked the game. At least for me that factwas the reason for that fantastic realization when it all made sense in such a wonderful way.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by mikey »

mikey wrote:
monele wrote:Spoiler spoiler spoiler ^^;...
Indeed, that's a spoiler... a big one. That's the whole point why I liked the game. At least for me that factwas the reason for that fantastic realization when it all made sense in such a wonderful way.