Using personal wikis to write complex stories

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

Using personal wikis to write complex stories

#1 Post by Counter Arts »

Because writing multipath stories are so hard to organize, why not use a pesonal wiki to write them?

Just an idea I have since I really would like to see more complex stories (branching wise) and many good story ideas get lost.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

I did that for Utsukushii Planet. And I still use my wiki to take all kinds of notes about my projects :). Definitely useful.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I tried searching for "story wiki" and "fiction wiki" to find examples of how to do this. The best I could find was http://www.ourpyramiddiet.com/wiki/doku ... =wiki_book

Is there another good example of how to create something similar?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

how bout just using tads or adrift? Since they have this system for creating rooms and stuff.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

That's pretty much all there is to it...
You make a main table with sections and maybe quick links to sub-sections. After that, inside each page, you can link to other pages. For example, while writing about the story, and mentionning some character, you turn the name into a link to the character's sheet where you get all the details. If you mention a location, same thing... If you mention a previous event, same thing.
Linking is the whole idea. Of course, in the end, you might just end up using it as a simple hierarchical organiser.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#6 Post by dizzcity »

You guys mean something like Storyspace? I haven't used it myself, but I heard that it was pretty good. A little more functionality than a wiki, as it's customised specifically for telling hypertext narratives. The trouble is, of course, that it's a commercial product (although they DO have a free demo)

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#7 Post by Hime »

Unnh, I'm kind of a newbie with these Wikis, so in case someone feels like explaining... How do personal wikis differ from the normal ones? Is it that they can be edited by only one person who owns the wiki, or something else? And... How can you get one? ^^;

Jake
Support Hero

#8 Post by Jake »

Hime wrote:Unnh, I'm kind of a newbie with these Wikis, so in case someone feels like explaining... How do personal wikis differ from the normal ones? Is it that they can be edited by only one person who owns the wiki
Mostly, yeah. It's like the distinction between "open forum" and "personal forum", I guess; you could run a personal forum somewhere, maybe on your home machine, that only you or people on your local network could access, or you could stick it up on the web and allow anyone to register and post.
Hime wrote:or something else? And... How can you get one? ^^;
That said, I've been using TiddlyWiki on and off for a little while for structured note-taking. I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum who recommended it...

Advantages: You don't need to set up a webserver or anything to make it work.
Disadvantages: It doesn't seem to work too well in Opera, which I use for my web-browsing, so I end up having to run Firefox just for that...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#9 Post by Enerccio »

Jake wrote:
Hime wrote:Unnh, I'm kind of a newbie with these Wikis, so in case someone feels like explaining... How do personal wikis differ from the normal ones? Is it that they can be edited by only one person who owns the wiki
Mostly, yeah. It's like the distinction between "open forum" and "personal forum", I guess; you could run a personal forum somewhere, maybe on your home machine, that only you or people on your local network could access, or you could stick it up on the web and allow anyone to register and post.
Hime wrote:or something else? And... How can you get one? ^^;
That said, I've been using TiddlyWiki on and off for a little while for structured note-taking. I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum who recommended it...

Advantages: You don't need to set up a webserver or anything to make it work.
Disadvantages: It doesn't seem to work too well in Opera, which I use for my web-browsing, so I end up having to run Firefox just for that...
can you write any good way to use that tiddlewiki?
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

TiddlyWiki is pretty cool. I stopped using it because of lack of backup reasons, though. Maybe it's been fixed now, though ^^;.

Otherwise, WikidPad is really neat too. It's an actual win32 application, not something web-based.
http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

Raikiri
Regular

#11 Post by Raikiri »

monele wrote:Otherwise, WikidPad is really neat too. It's an actual win32 application, not something web-based.
http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/
I started to play around with this last night. It's simple, but very functional. I think I'll manage to put it to good use. :D
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#12 Post by Enerccio »

That wikipad is perfect.
I started writing a bit of story and it ended like story:

Code: Select all

*Dark*
[voice] "Welcome..."
me: "Who are you?"
me: "Where am I?"
me: "Hello, anybody here?
and around other 20 pages that describe this part xD
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#13 Post by Vatina »

I just tried this Wikipad as well. Pretty useful.... maybe I'll actually finish something with this xD