Otaku and a weeaboo

For the rest of your otaku life.
enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

Re: Otaku and a weeaboo

#31 Post by enta »

dramspringfeald wrote:It's simple really. they need to grow up a little and look to the future. MOST of their people are moving to the US and UK not just because of better jobs, more freedom and better healthcare (I know the truth!) but because in the US and the UK they can be themselves without fear of us turning on them like loose dogs on meat.
Hey, that's what "few" of them thinks. Did you know that almost all of my classmates think that they don't even need English since they can live in Japan without even knowing what "this is a pen" means?

Also most of them doesn't care outside Japan at all that it took me by surprise that they didn't know "Michael Jackson" at all(my classmates, I mean). Even my 5 year old nephew knew him and even loves dancing "beat it".

EroBotan
Veteran

#32 Post by EroBotan »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Weeabooism is a form of racism. I don't feel I have to give racists the thumbs up, even if it's a more positive form.

And I can complain as much as I like if I get accused of being a drug user. After all, it's not true. Unlike actual weeaboos, I have to live through this every day.
you miss the point i think.
1. some people promoting hate towards a certain group of people by calling them weaboos
2. they list some definitions of this weaboos as a guidance (lol?)
3. it's a common fact that the majority of people in internet don't like reading and act like jerks, so they call people weaboos even if they don't fit the definitions.
4. The new definitions a weaboo: people who are into anime and they make you mad for some reasons (any reason will do and they don't have to make sense).
5. people who don't fit into your definition of weaboos is now a weaboos because people love to generalize things
6. You don't feel bad about non weaboos being called weaboos and continue your hate campaign, but you complain about being accused of drug user
7. That's hypocrite lol

I know that you will always keep hating no matter what i said, so I guess good luck with your life

Edit: And yeah, I have to get through this everyday too, I'm surrounded by normal people after all and they always insist that their idea is the best one. Seriously, they should mind their own bussiness.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#33 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

EroBotan wrote:1. some people promoting hate towards a certain group of people by calling them weaboos
When did I accuse someone else of being a weeaboo? I'm not responsible for the behaviour of other people on the internet.
EroBotan wrote:2. they list some definitions of this weaboos as a guidance (lol?)
I know what weeaboo means. If other people misunderstand, again, that's not my fault.
EroBotan wrote:3. it's a common fact that the majority of people in internet don't like reading and act like jerks, so they call people weaboos even if they don't fit the definitions.
I said it before, but I'm not to blame for what other people do.
EroBotan wrote:4. The new definitions a weaboo: people who are into anime and they make you mad for some reasons (any reason will do and they don't have to make sense).
Other people...not responsible... etc.
EroBotan wrote:5. people who don't fit into your definition of weaboos is now a weaboos because people love to generalize things
This doesn't make sense.
EroBotan wrote:6. You don't feel bad about non weaboos being called weaboos and continue your hate campaign, but you complain about being accused of drug user
TrickWithAKnife wrote:I'm not responsible for the behaviour of other people on the internet.
EroBotan wrote:7. That's hypocrite lol
All you've done is blame me for other people misunderstanding what "weeaboo means". Nothing hypocritical about that. lol.

EroBotan wrote:Edit: And yeah, I have to get through this everyday too, I'm surrounded by normal people after all and they always insist that their idea is the best one. Seriously, they should mind their own bussiness.
So you get called a weeaboo, and are blaming me for it? Either change the people you have contact with, take a look at yourself and decide if it's true or not, or stop caring. This has very little to do with me, unless you are, in fact, a weeaboo. To the best of my knowledge, I've never accused you of being one.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#34 Post by MaiMai »

Look the basic gist of it is a weeaboo is someone who lets their love of anime and manga and misguided love for Japanese culture socially stunt them to the point where they act like a goddamn idiot and even letting it hurt the people around them (seriously read the Tumblr link I put up the stories are very telling of what behavior is simply not acceptable). Like with any media, your love of it shouldn't dictate your behavior to unacceptable and uncomfortable levels and you should be able to distinguish what's okay and what's not in terms of socializing with others.

Seriously though, holy hell why is there even an argument about this.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Blutkristall
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere, Knife Point Horror
Organization: Lastrail

#35 Post by Blutkristall »

An Otaku is essentially supposed to be a really creepy, obsessed nerd without a life.
Don't call yourself that.
Seriously.

I'd say a weaboo is everyone who believes in the superiority of most or a lot of elements of Japanese culture over western ones.
Going by this definition, many of the games we have here and who are set in Japan using Japanese character archetypes and names are at least somewhat weaboo.
Everyone has their favorite blind spot.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#36 Post by dramspringfeald »

Blutkristall wrote:An Otaku is essentially supposed to be a really creepy, obsessed nerd without a life.
I thought that was a NEET?
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#37 Post by Desu_Cake »

NEET stands for Not in Education Employment or Training. A drain on society, basically.
IIRC Otaku comes from nerdy no-lifers in Japan who, when they have to communicate, use the word as part of their stilted, awkward speech.
NEET Otaku and Hikkikomori often overlap, but they don't directly imply one-another.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#38 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

MaiMai wrote:Otakus are usually associated with being obsessed with anime and manga, but the terms can actually be applied to anything you're obsessed with. Dog otaku, fishing otaku, cooking otaku...
This is what it means. I'm not sure why people are trying to debate it.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#39 Post by SundownKid »

Otaku's use as an actual term, and as a slang term, is different. Much like the word "nerd", it has dual definitions as "an intelligent... expert" and "a foolish... person".

I think that at least in the West, the slang definition of Otaku as an annoying, geeky person overtook the more broad one.
TrickWithAKnife wrote:I've heard a lot of talk from some of my adult students about that. It seems that it's a really big concern, and they're trying to figure out what to do. I get the impression that the Japanese government is fumbling in the dark though. Perhaps if they actually tried asking non-Japanese people for a change...
I actually heard that the Japanese economy is improving, while the US economy is still in a recession and is steadily getting worse. So, yeah...

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Unlike a lot of imported Japanese words that have had their meanings butchered by weeaboos, "otaku" only has one meaning. The only difference with how it's used in other countries is that it is often narrowed down to a certain type of obsessive person.

If anyone uses it differently, they are wrong.

Regarding the economy, a lot of people in Japan seem to be worried about their pensions. There are less and less people of working age, and more people of retirement age. At some point it's going to fall apart.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by dramspringfeald »

yeah that whole "66% thing" is going to be rough and thanks to caring more about their income vs caring about having offspring they'll be forced to start accepting foreigners. who would have thought that system wide Xenophobia would backfire?
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#42 Post by SundownKid »

Yeah, they could easily turn their population problem around by being more foreigner-friendly. The Earth as a whole is soon to have a problem with overpopulation, not underpopulation.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Yesterday, 6 of my wife's friends came to our home.

I think the best way to describe their reaction every time I went in the living-room where they were, would be similar to how most people would react if the host brought an unusually large rottweiler with a spiked collar in the room. Everyone would suddenly freeze, and if I looked their general direction they would start panicking, and whispering to the others things like "Oh no, I hope he doesn't talk to me. I can't speak English. It's scary!", in Japanese. This was in my own house.

I guess it pretty much sums up my experience of living in Tokyo. In 5 years, only twice has a stranger tried talking to me first. One was an elderly lady with poor vision asking me what a sign said, because she didn't realize I was a foreigner. The other was one of those rare people who loves meeting foreigners, and ended up becoming my wife. I've experienced people crossing the road when I tried asking them for directions a few times, however.

To be fair though, when I visited Osaka my experience was completely different. I've also heard it was a lot worse in the past, so maybe in a few more generations, foreigners in Tokyo will be treated like regular human beings.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by dramspringfeald »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:To be fair though, when I visited Osaka my experience was completely different. I've also heard it was a lot worse in the past, so maybe in a few more generations, foreigners in Tokyo will be treated like regular human beings.
To be fair, from what I've heard about Osaka is it's about like the American south in that they could give a Rats behind as long as you don't start something. That and do to all the Americans in the area they've just grown to ignore you.

Not to mention what I've heard from some of my other friends that were born there. Tokyo suffers from Stick in the Ass Syndrome and will do that to most anyone who is not from their local area.

Dreadwing93
Regular
Projects: 0xE125: Crimson Spiral

#45 Post by Dreadwing93 »

Personally I've decided to avoid all this otaku weaboo nonsense and just call myself a nerd. You know, the English word.

A lot of people talk about how you shouldn't call yourself an otaku because it has a negative connotation. Well nerd has a negative connotation too, and guess what? I couldn't care less.