Jacob's Island - (Fantasy)(Adventure)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

Re: Jacob's Island - Demo up (Win, Mac, Linux)

#16 Post by Geckos »

bellice wrote:One question before I try out the demo: Is this strictly GxB or is there a GxG option as well?
I tend to avoid the frustration of not being able to decide what my character is into.
There is a GxG route, but you may want to wait until chapter 2 for when she appears. :3
Once I see what art we need for it, I can give an estimate for the full demo to be released. I want to say mid-ish May.
Image ImageImage

bellice
Veteran

#17 Post by bellice »

Geckos wrote:
bellice wrote:One question before I try out the demo: Is this strictly GxB or is there a GxG option as well?
I tend to avoid the frustration of not being able to decide what my character is into.
There is a GxG route, but you may want to wait until chapter 2 for when she appears. :3
Once I see what art we need for it, I can give an estimate for the full demo to be released. I want to say mid-ish May.
So, no Esmeralda? Pity.
Oh well, guess I'm waiting for the full demo. Looking forward to it. :)

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck

#18 Post by Geckos »

bellice wrote:
Geckos wrote:
So, no Esmeralda? Pity.
Oh well, guess I'm waiting for the full demo. Looking forward to it. :)
There is an Esmerelda route, but it's a secret ;D
Image ImageImage

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

#19 Post by khnachi »

Geckos wrote:Was the text for the menu too small to read? do you think adding a "Menu" option to the save/load/skip/prefs area would help at all?
The size actually looks fine, its just that I have a hard time finding them because of the text colors..but I think it looks okay as it is, since it does give that blend in the bg kind of touch..and yes the "menu" option would be preferable..quick access buttons can be quite convenient. :mrgreen:

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Cain0425 »

i love the demo i can wait for full game and i love the art and colors in this game

bellice
Veteran

#21 Post by bellice »

Okay, so I played the demo, since I couldn't wait until mid-May.
Apart from a few grammar errors...that I probably should have noted down but completly forgot...there is only one thing that kinda bothers me. The dialouge box. It's pretty enough, but it seems just a tad too...asymmetrical. Like the right side is longer than the left side. Of course that could be intentional on your part and it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. ;)

Anyway, I love the art. The background and the characters are beautifully drawn.
As far as the characters themselves go:
Zex: I love him. He's such a cute bugger and I just wanna cuddle the hell out of him. He's exactly the type I tend to go for in Otome games. The nice, fun one. (Either that or I go for the grumpy older man.) The fact that he has fur and is therefore MADE to be cuddled is just an added bonus. ;) Also, his tail. I wanna squeeze it.
Peter: Can't say too much about him. Suffice to say that I don't usually like his type. Too self-assure and cocky. But you know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover. (Him usually dating men and using his powers against homophobia is a nice touch, however.)
Eric: He's...nice. That's really all I can say about him. He's kind. I really liked the bit about Unicorns being naturally touchy-feely, though.
Es: I KEEP THROWING ENGAGEMENT RINGS AT THE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. (Don't mind me, just sitting here, praying that her secret route is awesome and won't leave me frustrated. Secret routes are often not as satisfying as the normal ones, at least that's my experience. So please take this as simple worrying and not as me doubting your talent.^^)

In any case, I'm looking forward to the full demo and getting to know Nerina.
Last edited by bellice on Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geckos
Veteran

#22 Post by Geckos »

bellice wrote:Okay, so I played the demo, since I couldn't wait until mid-March.
Apart from a few grammar errors...that I probably should have noted down but completly forgot...there is only one thing that kinda bothers me. The dialouge box. It's pretty enough, but it seems just a tad too...asymmetrical. Like the right side is longer than the left side. Of course that could be intentional on your part and it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. ;)

Anyway, I love the art. The background and the characters are beautifully drawn.
As far as the characters themselves go:
Zex: I love him. He's such a cute bugger and I just wanna cuddle the hell out of him. He's exactly the type I tend to go for in Otome games. The nice, fun one. (Either that or I go for the grumpy older man.) The fact that he has fur and is therefore MADE to be cuddled is just an added bonus. ;) Also, his tail. I wanna squeeze it.
Peter: Can't say too much about him. Suffice to say that I don't usually like his type. Too self-assure and cocky. But you know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover.
(Him usually dating men and using his powers against homophobia is a nice touch, however.)
Eric: He's...nice. That's really all I can say about him. He's kind. I really liked the bit about Unicorns being naturally touchy-feely, though.
Es: I KEEP THROWING ENGAGEMENT RINGS AT THE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. (Don't mind me, just sitting here, praying that her secret route is awesome and won't leave me frustrated. Secret routes are often not as satisfying as the normal ones, at least that's my experience. So please take this as simple worrying and not as me doubting your talent.^^)

In any case, I'm looking forward to the full demo and getting to know Nerina.
Hee, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I can take a look at the dialogue box and see if I can even it out a bit, although it will be on the back burner in terms of things the game needs!

Zex gets a lot of favorite votes for being a goofball. I was worried people wouldn't like him because he is a tiger, but everyone has responded well to him. We are actually reworking parts of chapter 1 pertaining to Eric to give him a better chance to show his colors, so to speak. I am also adding a CG for Eric and Es for chapter 1.

Chapter 2 coding is going pretty quickly. It's just a matter of the art I need to draw. :3
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

#23 Post by Geckos »

Looking for beta testers for chapters 2 and three of the demo. PM if interested!

Also, made a FB page for Floating Isles studios! https://www.facebook.com/FloatingIsles
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

Re: Jacob's Island - Looking for testers chap 2-3

#24 Post by Geckos »

Adding the results of a streaming session from just now!
Attachments
city_diiya.jpg
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

#25 Post by Geckos »

Made a new pose for Eric at last! Poor fella has been fairly static and in the same outfit.
It's just a teaser since you'll be able to see him in game in a few days.
Attachments
eric_outfit2_spoiler.jpg
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

#26 Post by Geckos »

Demo: up through chapter 3! Please take a read and let us know what you thought.
Windows
Mac
Linux

Please note that there are a few placeholders, but they are all drawn by me.
The Linux version has not been tested.
Image ImageImage

bellice
Veteran

Re: Jacob's Island - Final demo up!

#27 Post by bellice »

Yay, gonna play it as soon as I can. I've been waiting anxiously. :)

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by philip »

Downloaded the demo and played it through one time. Very well done and enjoyable! Will have to go back and take some of the other choices. I will be anxious to see the rest of it appear.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Geckos
Veteran

#29 Post by Geckos »

bellice wrote:Yay, gonna play it as soon as I can. I've been waiting anxiously. :)
I hope that you enjoy it!
philip wrote:Downloaded the demo and played it through one time. Very well done and enjoyable! Will have to go back and take some of the other choices. I will be anxious to see the rest of it appear.
Awesome! Yea, if you haven't seen Eric's other sprite/outfit it's pretty fun. :3
Image ImageImage

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#30 Post by Snow Blossom »

♪┏(・o・)┛♪┗ ( ・o・) ┓♪┏ ( ) ┛♪┗ (・o・ ) ┓♪┏(・o・)┛♪

I thought the first demo was amazing, but THIS

First of all... HOW DID YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE ES OVER THE MALE INTERESTS
Since I infinitely prefer GxB or BxB over GxG, this is literally the first time I have chosen to hang out with the "female" (I'm actually not sure since apparently Nerina's the only GxG route but Es has a secret one??? orz BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER) interest over the male ones on the first go. ESSSS WHERE ARE YOU IN MY REAL LIFE
... God, I love that manticore. She has so much spunk!
I think the moment I fell in love was the "rainbow sparkle" conversation. XD
And while we're on the subject of breaking habits - HOW DID YOU MAKE ME GUSH OVER A LYCANTHROPE
Furry is one of my most NOPE categories but I found Zex adorable.
The fact that he doesn't seem to have any romantic interest in Kenna is actually really nice - makes him all the cuter. I really liked that tidbit about his childhood, too - it made him a more psychologically interesting character.
Peter was my favorite in the first demo, but now... yeah. XD I still really like him, but Zex and Es definitely take the cake. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY PREFERENCES
Also, my reaction to hearing about Zex and Peter's former relationship was the same as Kenna's. That was ... interesting. XD
As for Eric, all I can really say is I aww'd at how sweet he was.
Was it just me or did you especially give him eye bags after he stayed up all night looking after Kenna? If so, that was a really nice touch. I also liked that little episode when he suddenly gets a little more playful and boyish in the garden. That was delightful!
Nerina... she's sexy, I guess? Yeah sorry, I didn't get that good a grasp on her character XD

And last but not least, Kenna! I loved her character design from the start, but her personality certainly did not disappoint. I was actually surprised by how... moe she was.
Her sprite with the black shirt actually made me squee. And her little spiel about the nappy-time coast was adorable. I also liked her badassery, though! The fact that she could have burnt down an entire building with her mana was a YES.
Art: What can I say? It was lovely. I really like the fact that the characters got multiple poses, and that Kenna had so many different poses just for her side-image. The backgrounds were especially well done, and the pastel colors complemented each other well.

Okay, now for the setting and plotline.
On a side-note first: I really liked that it was set on a floating island and in tree-classrooms; I love the idea of being surrounded by nature and sky. More seriously: This might just be the first game I've played that combines comedy with mystery drama so well. The flashbacks work really well - my jaw dropped at the scene with Kenna falling and Jacob coming to save her. And then I grinned and squeed out of pure joy. You ended it on such a cliffhanger too! I can't wait to see what happens to the actual Kenna and how the story develops. (゚Д゚;≡;゚Д゚)
The weakest part of this piece would be the music. Although they always suit the mood, the tracks get a little repetitive after a while and often don't really augment the scenes they're playing in.
The notable exception was the flashback scene of falling.
In addition,
the transition from the Kenna's room circus to the hibernation cavern was a bit sudden. I had a bit of a "wut" moment when Kenna just suddenly switched from scolding people for not viewing her as something other than just "human" to having them "prove that they don't" by bringing her back to the cavern. It felt a little forced.
I also found Es's rather quick warming up to Kenna a bit surprising NOT THAT YOU SHOULD CHANGE THAT ON MY ACCOUNT I LOVED IT Maybe pacing out their relationship a bit more would help?
But yeah.
I don't understand why this thread isn't flooded with comments already.
This is one of the games - if not the game - that I'm looking forward most to this year! Best of luck to you guys!