Ar tonelico

For the rest of your otaku life.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Ar tonelico

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

Soooo anyone play this? It's one of those NIS/Atlus titles 8)

So far I've gotten Aurica's ending (#1) and the "bad ending" (which I didn't really think was so bad, but whatever)

I read an article in a gaming magazine about it before I started playing, mocking the sexual metaphors, but I thought they were probably just overreacting because Amerigamers get all weird over that stuff. But after playing, wow, they weren't kidding! You just have to play it to believe it... it's SO blatant :lol:

It plays a lot like Atelier Iris, and the main char even looks quite similar... It has the whole alchemy thing, but this time it's called "grathmelding". Anyway, a fun game 8) Kind of visual novely at times, especially when you go "diving" into a reyvateil's (artificial magic girl life form) "cosmosphere". Sometimes the battles are annoying, though, and the PS2 seems to always be reading from the CD, so there are some pauses in battle. I want to smack the main char sometimes, too >_< You know the kind!

Overall, I recommend it - pick it up before it goes away like so many other Atlus titles :cry: The little art book it comes with is cool, too.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#2 Post by yummy »

I've only watched the OAV so far. It seems an interesting world and I'd have liked to play the game too. Time to buy a ps2 maybe...

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#3 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Playing it and loving it. Seen the OAV too. Haven't beat it yet, though. Admittedly, this is one of the bigger distractions I've faced when working on my nanoreno project... or should I say my nanoreno story was distracting me from finishing this...? I'm aiming for a Misha ending first, because I like her the most. Granted, she can be a little annoying at times, but Aurica in my eyes is pretty flat and uninteresting. (I guess it also helps I'm further in Misha's cosmosphere...) And of course, in typical ren'ai game style, my favorite girl is the one without a path, Krusche... Damn, why couldn't she be a Reyvateil too?

It is pretty loaded with sexual innuendos, but I can overlook them. A little childish, sure, but it doesn't distract from the game too much. And as for Lyner, I like him as I tend to do for most protagonists, but yeah (again, in typical ren'ai game style) he couldn't possibly be more oblivious to the girls' feelings... (as for any other faults in his character, I can't say much since I'm not finished yet...)
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#4 Post by Nafai »

I'm playing it too ^_^ I really like the art, and I find the whole 'diving' thing to be an excellent set-up/dynamic for a VN type of gameplay. I've been mostly focusing on the Elect, but when I need a break, I either whip this out, or Rogue Galaxy (since I finished Jade Empire :P).

All the girls appeal to me, which is rare... I'm glad that I might actually take the time to go through each of their endings ^_^

Krusche Drake? I was hoping for the President of the enemy mercenaries myself :P

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

I have it. Haven't played it yet. I'm currently at the last few bosses of ffxii. I'm unsure of what I should go for next.

on my queue

-Final Fantasy X
-Ar Tonelico
-.hack//gu vol. 1
-Atelier Iris 2 (which looks like ar tonelico)
-Kingdom Hearts 2
-Valkyrie Profile 2
-Rogue Galaxy
-Dragon Warrior 8
-Tales of the Abyss
-Tales of Legendia
-Wild Arms 4

I'm gonna try to finish off FFXII tonight and I'll leave those freakin hunts for another day. Story has been disappointing so far, I doubt the ending will be any better.

I like Ar Tonelico's stylings from what I've tried but Kingdom Hearts 2 looked surprisingly good for a story with disney characters.

Edit: In my place, everything is pirated and good and all mine! Even the department stores in shopping malls sell already modded ps2 units along with 20-40 free games, a memcard etc.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I thought Final Fantasy X was a great game. The combat system was my favorite out of the FF games, since you had time to plan your attack, while still keeping a time-component. The characters were great, too... the sort of characters who siezed control of destiny, rather then just playing along.

Just one data-point.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#7 Post by rioka »

I have yet to get this title and play it. I'm currently playing through another Atlus released game: Yggdra Union. And yes, Atlus brings out games that I like. Have you guys heard of Odin Sphere? Can't wait to get my hands on that. :3

And don't worry Taleweaver, I remember the deadline. n_n

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

Finally beat up the last boss on ffxii (all characters level 60+, 93 hours on the game clock, all espers acquired.). The undying was pathetic. The AI did all the work for me. I just let my characters attack him and buffed myself whenever he turned invincible to physical damage. Ending was bland as expected. I even forgot who Gabranth was supposed to be.

I'm playing Ar Tonelico (FFX is up next) right now and I'm up to the part where you try to escape from that Tenba fortress thingy with Misha and the dive system is introduced for the first time. I like the artwork, costumes and the light-hearted rpg feel (and the girls are fine too. :P ) The main character is too simple-minded for his own good. Oh ya, and it also doubles as a dating sim just like thousand arms, that's always a plus.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#9 Post by Laveil Kurtis »

Ar Tonelico is superb. Maybe one of the best PS2 RPGs (and I've played A LOT)

I got all endings (first one was Misha's first ending) and I completed Aurica's talk topics and of course, all cosmospheres.

I stopped playing some weeks ago because I'm in the Castlevania mood right now, and I'm also playing FFXII (I don't like this game very much, the gambit system is quite boring and the maps are huge and pointless)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

Yeah I agree, ffxii's maps are boring. It also plays too much like an mmorpg.

So anyway, I'd like to be able to see both Aurica and Misha's endings. Anyone know which part of the game should I make two saves before I reach the point of no return?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Is there any way I can play Ar Tonelico without getting a PS2 and a TV set?

Like, on my pc perhaps? Because I am so craving to play that game right now.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe Dafool look at this http://www.pcsx2.net/compat.php?&c=a&s1 ... 1&s5=1&p=3

It's playable. I kinda thought it would be since it barely uses any 3D graphics cept for some cutscenes and the overworld map.

You're gonna need bios though (which shouldn't be too hard to find).

GLACIER
Regular

#13 Post by GLACIER »

Yeah I agree, ffxii's maps are boring. It also plays too much like an mmorpg.
FFXII is a different type of game. As a fan of Western CRPGs, I really appreciated the large maps and seamless, combat-driven direction. Therefore, the convergence of Western and Japanese RPG design was a dream come true for me.

I do agree that this direction may not have been the best choice for a Final Fantasy game. Today's Japanese RPG fans highly value scenario/narration, and FFXII doesn't deliver in that regard.

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#14 Post by Laveil Kurtis »

Anyone know which part of the game should I make two saves before I reach the point of no return?
Near the end of Phase 1, there's a choice like "Who will you download the Purger Crystal?" Make two saves before choosing.

Is not very important, but is has some changes, like the next boss music and the reyvateil in combat.

The real one is the choice "Do you want to go the the search party?"
Yes => Misha's Path
No => Aurica's Path

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#15 Post by Blue Lemma »

Yay, I beat the game! :D I got the 2nd Aurica ending and the special semi-secret ending :wink: I was actually pretty disappointed with those. I think Aurica's first ending was better (longer) and left me a little more fulfilled. I think I'll go back and do Misha's path after I play Tales of Legendia (which I got on clearance for $12.72 at Circuit City 8) )