Pick the forum members' brains for your game :)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Pick the forum members' brains for your game :)

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

I had a question and thought maybe it would be good to have a thread where people can get human responses to their VN-related questions. There are a lot of people with different backgrounds here, right?

So I'll kick it off with my question:
Does anyone here have experience with film? I'm talking video-making, camera geekery, etc ;) What kinds of things to film people get psyched up over? Any leads?

I have a character who is into film and is recording a show for a public access channel in the game. I've done some poking around the internet, but I'm hoping someone can give extra info :)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Pick the forum members' brains for your game :)

#2 Post by SundownKid »

It really depends on what genre of films they like. They could be very picky and want to try to make the next art film and have their actors perform just so, or they could be Eddie Wong and want to make a special effects-laden extravaganza. The first kind could be obsessed with eliciting a perfect performance or having the right camera angle, and the latter could love embellishing things with computers. Or, a horror movie fan and be obsessed with zombies and monsters. Or an action movie fan that loves choreographing long fight scenes.
Last edited by SundownKid on Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Blue Lemma wrote:Does anyone here have experience with film? I'm talking video-making, camera geekery, etc
I worked for McCann-Erickson doing TV Commercials starting from Storyboard Sketching and climbed all the way to being a Project Manager... before I quit and started my own Ad Firm...
Blue Lemma wrote:What kinds of things to film people get psyched up over? Any leads?
New and better equipment... whenever we have a new Camera or Editing equipment, we swarm all over it for like half a day admiring it while thinking of what does it do that our old equipment cannot and how not to break them... :mrgreen:

I don't know if this info will be of some use though...

"POOF" (Disappears)

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular
Projects: Lost Girl

#4 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

I have some friends who are videographers as well as editors. They enjoy lots of different movies. Some are more technical than others when it comes to the actual camera equipment. So you can take it from both angles. Are they more media oriented like they want it to be shot like things they've seen before while knowing a bit about the camera or are they more technically oriented in that they know about all the different settings and little firmware hacks. I do more editing and VFX stuff, so while I couldn't tell you who played in what, I can tell you how long it took to render that glass shattering shot in Transformers 3 and even what applications were used to render it.

Just something to keep in mind.
Music and sound effects
SoundCloud | YouTube | Facebook
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt
Let me know if you'd like some help.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

Thanks for the replies! :D

What sorts of features in equipment are drool-worthy?

(and don't forget to add your own questions for the community, readers ;) )
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

Actually I have found I watch a LOT of Commentaries... for everything. Watching them to see into the minds of the people involved. the little secrets, the things that went on behind the scenes.

As for gear I have about 12 or 13 Trypods, Some custom Rigs and an actual Silver Screen. My father has a thing for lenses and Books about them. The question I have to ask you "What field is your character interested in?" The Camera, The Recording, Production or any number of positions in between ?
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

@dramspringfeald: The production mostly :D He does his own filming, too, for little projects. Maybe you can answer me a PM please if you read this?

(and come on, no one else has any general questions? I feel like such a thread hog :P)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Should we dump it all here? Or may be it's better to make a new thread for different subject?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#9 Post by azureXtwilight »

I am a med student, so if anyone want to ask anything medically-related I can recheck your facts~

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#10 Post by dramspringfeald »

I'm working on a game that has time loops, Paradoxes and a very basic theory of Quantum Tunneling and all around current time travel theory... with Talking critter people.

The Paradox is based on the whole Star Trek 4 Movie where they have to go back in time after going into the future and give us Technology so that they can be in the future and have it in time to go back and make it so it can be used in the future to save the Whales in the past so they can bring them to the future... and that's just the side plot!

SO! I WILL be here picking some brains soon enough.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#11 Post by Reikun »

Question for any gun buffs out there:

How is the trajectory of a bullet affected if it grazes something on the way down to the target? To be specific, the bullet grazes a person's skin.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#12 Post by Kato »

What a wonderful thread! I was wondering where I would post questions like the following and then this popped up! :lol: Anyway, since I'm no help on any of the above, ill jump straight to it.

I'm undertaking a side project set in a steampunk inspired, fantasy setting where a large portion of the lands energy is powered by large crystals. A number of people were born with similar, small gems in their bodies giving them odd, amazing or even annoying abilities. I'm having trouble thinking of abilities for characters that aren't horrifically generic like 'I can shot firrre' and the likes. Are there any underrated powers and abilities you've seen or would want to see in a game?
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

cutejiana

#13 Post by cutejiana »

This is a great thread..

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I hope there are people here to answer questions about living in Japan...

I guess I have one - in the Japanese countryside, is there enough space to build a mansion (in the English sense of the word)?
deviantART
---------------------

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#15 Post by SundownKid »

Reikun wrote:Question for any gun buffs out there:

How is the trajectory of a bullet affected if it grazes something on the way down to the target? To be specific, the bullet grazes a person's skin.
It's not affected at all. The bullet will rip through your skin and continue on to the target, or stop in your skin, unless you're made of metal.
Kato wrote: I'm undertaking a side project set in a steampunk inspired, fantasy setting where a large portion of the lands energy is powered by large crystals. A number of people were born with similar, small gems in their bodies giving them odd, amazing or even annoying abilities. I'm having trouble thinking of abilities for characters that aren't horrifically generic like 'I can shot firrre' and the likes. Are there any underrated powers and abilities you've seen or would want to see in a game?
You can always eschew the cliched "Final Fantasy magic" style abilities for something like extrasensory abilities or increased physical skills of some sort. Maybe someone has the ability to sleep 5 hours a day or run faster than normal. Maybe they have long sight or superhuman reflexes because the crystals made their bodies grow differently. Or, they can see into peoples' minds or control them psychically by connecting their crystals in the same frequency.
lepapillonrouge wrote:I hope there are people here to answer questions about living in Japan...

I guess I have one - in the Japanese countryside, is there enough space to build a mansion (in the English sense of the word)?
I'm sure there is a lot of space.
Last edited by SundownKid on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.