Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3241 Post by teacup »

I agree with you Uncle... it's kind of sad, but lately I've been avoiding making posts outside of my own game's thread because of certain people's attitudes. I can feel the atmosphere has changed, which really sucks. I just wish people would take it easy, you know? This is a hobby for most of us. We do this for fun. Why do so many people have to suck the fun right out of it?
PyTom wrote:We need to stop that, and realize that we need to embrace creators - even those who are creating games we'll never play. That means going out of our way to be polite to newbies, since today's newbies are tomorrow's regulars and next year's veterans. At the very least, if you can't be polite to someone, if you can't be encouraging to someone - don't say anything. Let someone else answer.

I get the feeling that there are a few people who feel that their opinions are so important, they have to be expressed, even if they're not helpful. And I think that's the current problem - it would be far better if those people said nothing.
My sentiments exactly.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3242 Post by Sapphi »

teacup wrote:I can feel the atmosphere has changed, which really sucks. I just wish people would take it easy, you know? This is a hobby for most of us. We do this for fun. Why do so many people have to suck the fun right out of it?
I propose that those of us who are dissatisfied with the current atmosphere of the forum REVOOOOLT!

REVOLT AGAINST THE TYRANNY OF CYNICS AND NAY-SAYERS! REVOLT, I SAY!
WITH BURNING ARROWS OF SIMPLE KINDNESS, WE SHALL CRUSH THE OPPOSITION!
WHO'S WITH ME?!

LET'S SET THE FORUM AFLAME WITH POSITIVITY!!!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Delta m.m
Regular

#3243 Post by Delta m.m »

I'M WITH YOU!, WITH ARROWS OF KINDNESS AND FLAMES OF POSITIVITY, HORRRAH!!!

what?, I'm already a regular :D

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3244 Post by Samu-kun »

I think putting sticker of a moe girls on all the posts here will solve all our problems.

... ... ...

What?

*hides back into the cave to return to work*

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#3245 Post by Samu-kun »

Also... Mugen, you've been acting way too nice lately... Just what are you plotting? Or have you softened in your old age?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3246 Post by Blue Lemma »

Samu-kun wrote:I think putting sticker of a moe girls on all the posts here will solve all our problems.
I fully support this initiative :D

Good thing I'm not admining hee hee

+1 for positivity (get it? :wink: )
Obscura wrote:There were seriously about 30 WIPs I was super excited about upon joining LSF over a year ago. The number released out of those 30 have been 4. Understandable, because most of them are free and the creators have lives unlike my sorry ass here, but I rarely open any WIP threads anymore. Even if I do and the game looks great, I doubt my cheerleading will have any ultimate effect.
THIS

You start gently nudging the newbies in the right direction, but then after a while all the unrealistically huge first-time projects reach critical mass. No one learns. Everyone thinks he or she is the exception. You explode in your head. And by "you" of course I mean "me." :lol:

Time to take a deep breath with uncle mugen :shock:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3247 Post by mugenjohncel »

Samu-kun wrote:Also... Mugen, you've been acting way too nice lately... Just what are you plotting? Or have you softened in your old age?
Goes into Chuunibyou mode...
Let's just say that
I got involved in a fight with the Dark Lord of Alcoholic Drinks.
While I thwarted his initial attacks and escaped alive
he managed to implant one of his Evil Seeds inside me.

This... "Evil Seed" is slowly spreading inside me consuming my mana
which will eventually extinguish my soul flame.

So far, I am grateful that todays Alchemy and Witchcraft
is powerful enough to slow down the effects of the "Evil Seed"

Though, there is still the real possibility that my body
can no longer hold it's curse and succumb to it...

If that's the case...
wouldn't it be nice to make a few memories
and leave my mark in this world
while I'm still here?...
"POOF" (Disappears)

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#3248 Post by unknown5 »

mugenjohncel wrote:
... While I thwarted his initial attacks ...
i hope he was gentle ... and used lube.
srsly tho, stay well, man. take care.

edit: oh right, forgot the moe pic.
edit2: oops, wrong one.
edit3: removed pic. kinda took the topic title a bit too literally. pity. 'twas a work of the great ishikei, hehehe.
Last edited by unknown5 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
information wants to be free, yo.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#3249 Post by mugenjohncel »

unknown5 wrote:i hope he was gentle ... and used lube.
Wait till "Obscura" reads about this... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#3250 Post by Samu-kun »

mugenjohncel wrote: Goes into Chuunibyou mode...
Let's just say that
I got involved in a fight with the Dark Lord of Alcoholic Drinks.
While I thwarted his initial attacks and escaped alive

This... "Evil Seed" is slowly spreading inside me consuming my mana
which will eventually extinguish my soul flame.

So far, I am grateful that todays Alchemy and Witchcraft
is powerful enough to slow down the effects of the "Evil Seed"

Though, there is still the real possibility that my body
can no longer hold it's curse and succumb to it...

If that's the case...
wouldn't it be nice to make a few memories
and leave my mark in this world
while I'm still here?...
"POOF" (Disappears)
Okay...
Ya know, I woulda thought you'd already have made an autobiographical visual novel about yourself. I mean, you love randomly inserting yourself into your visual novels already, and if you're telling the truth about everything you say here, it sounds like you've got one hell of a life story to share. Hell, even if you're lying about everything, it'd still be a story worth telling. (It'll be like a dramatic Key visual novel)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#3251 Post by mugenjohncel »

Samu-kun wrote:Ya know, I woulda thought you'd already have made an autobiographical visual novel about yourself.
Why would I want to create a boring autobiography of some sick fat man [1] from the Philippines selling printer ink, wall cladding and other things... I'm too awesome for that...

I'd rather insert myself myself into other people's stories... this is what Meddlesome UNCLE MUGEN is all about. :mrgreen:

Besides, even if I drop dead this very moment... my immortality is already sealed... I shall live forever inside people's Hard Disks, SSD Drives, The Ren'ai Archives and some randomly uploaded ZIP Files... and most importantly... in people's hearts [2]
http://vndb.org/c534
Samu-kun wrote:(It'll be like a dramatic Key visual novel)
Nope... I have a better idea!...

I would perform a 2 minute dance move complete with lights and sounds then jump into a giant robot that will ride an even bigger robot that will ride an inter-dimensional spaceship to help the old lady safely cross the road... NOW THAT IS AWESOME!!! It would even be more awesome if I get at least 3 to 4 close up shots of me smiling... :mrgreen:

But you know... somehow, I'm beginning to feel I'm being too narcissistic... what do you say?

"POOF" (Disappears)

[1] Incredibly Handsome
[2] Cheesy I know :oops:

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#3252 Post by Obscura »

mugenjohncel wrote:
unknown5 wrote:i hope he was gentle ... and used lube.
Wait till "Obscura" reads about this... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)
suddenly and abruptly I emerge from a pool of sparkly gel, suspended in space

All right, who mumbled the L-word and summoned me in the middle of level 7 sudoku?!?! :x
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3253 Post by Donmai »

PyTom wrote:I get the feeling that there are a few people who feel that their opinions are so important, they have to be expressed, even if they're not helpful. And I think that's the current problem - it would be far better if those people said nothing.
Unfortunately on this forum it only takes 200 posts full of non-constructive criticism or nonsense to become a "veteran". And then the 1000 or 2000 posts mark become the next goal.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#3254 Post by Blane Doyle »

I don't know if it is ironic that this was being discussed while I was coming to a similar conclusion and deciding to be positive and post here more despite being filled with the worry that I'll say what I want to say the wrong way...

Or just a strange coincidence.

It's one thing to be blunt, we can always use blunt sometimes. We need honest, sometimes harsh crit and we need people who aren't afraid to speak their mind when what they want to say needs to be said. But I do think we can still be polite about it, and we always need positivity. For some this is a hobby, for others work. But I don't think that means "nothin but srs bsns all day ery day" (ok, that was painful to type and read, I aplogize). You can be either or and still have fun and help others while taking what you do seriously.

But maybe that's my hopeless optimist side trying to work with my cynically critical side and not quite succeeding. Maybe I'm a bit silly and naive for thinking this and for even voicing it.

But damn it, if I don't I never will and that's not helping anyone. Especially not my sanity. She's not happy with me right now.

EDIT: on a thread related but not conversation related note:

I don't know why I am using my phone to type this. Mt phone's touch screen keyboard is dumb and... and dumb! It's hard to hit the right keys and scrolling is horrible and it's all just one big pain in the butt.

...said the person claiming to want more positivity. 8D

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#3255 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

I, too have realized how this forum is changing, for the lack of better word I could find. Back then, people seem to be more laid back.

I don't want to pinpoint the critical things because I'm not an adult therefore I could hardly make myself seem like I understand much of the situation. But I just want to share that back then when I was even younger and really immature, I was given full feedback and critiques. They were really honest and blunt, but they were hardly rude nor somehow offensive.

I've always found adults to be really intimidating and it took me a lot to even post something (though I have to admit, I'm still a bit intimidated as I write this) but everyone was really nice so I wasn't scared anymore and I come to this forum almost everyday.

But now I find myself not coming back here because I got tired by how people commented on certain discussions and responded to the newbies. Some discussion threads that have been popping out these days, discussing on game development are really helpful if one intends to be a professional developer but they were as if indicating that all of us wanted to go pro, while most of us are actually just trying to have fun :S

So yeah, just another voice here.