Which VN should I do first???

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
RubyGem

Which VN should I do first???

#1 Post by RubyGem »

As you can probably tell from the title, I have a couple of ideas for the first VN project that I'm creating with Ren'Py. So, I more or less posted this thread to ask you to help me choose since I can't really choose which idea I want to pursue first.

Theme: Dystopian/Sci-fi

In 2035, the world war killed most of the human population. Those who survived live in the country that was once known as America- divided accordingly to the Acea Caste System. It had took the founders 10 years to recover from the war and another 5 years to create Acea.

It is now 2100 and the living humans are all under control of the G.O.A (Government of Acea) thanks to the Etron chips inserted into them when they were younger.

However, the chips that have successfully controlled the previous generations have started to glitch for the some of the latest generation- seven teenagers. Thanks to the glitch, they find themselves having several powers that were possibly thought impossible of mankind. So, the teens come together and slowly begin to put the pieces together.

As they're running from the G.O.A. , they discover a rebel camp whose rebels have broken free of the Etron control. The teens decide to join the rebellion.

VN Concept: Interact with the other teens and rebels and maybe even find love while trying to do something that will allow the next generation to live an uncontrolled and free life.

Theme: Angels and Demons

For centuries, angels and devils have been at war with each other. To ensure the safety of the younger ones, some angels and their children are sent to Earth to live as humans until they are needed or all is safe. However, the demons have also a similar protection in place for the younger ones.

Question for this idea: The thing is that there will both be angels and demons at the school. But I don't know whether to make the protagonist a human or angel as they interact with the other "students".

Do note that the above themes are both GxB Visual Novels.

With that being said... so does anyone have a suggestion on which idea/theme I should develop and create first?

Also, if you're free, maybe you can answer these questions about the idea that you choose( or both, if possible)?
1. Why this idea? (Why not the other?)
2. What do you look forward to seeing?
3. What do you suggest - in terms of either story or characters?

If you have questions regarding the ideas or want some explanation before making your choice, feel free to ask :)

Thank you.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Which VN should I do first???

#2 Post by Googaboga »

I say go for option two, the angel and demon one.

1. Because this one seems more manageable for a first game. Since there is a school setting you'll probably be able to find free to use backgrounds easily if you don't have a bg artist. Plus the other idea would take a much longer time to pull off. There would be a lot to explain while still developing different relationship paths. The second idea has a more straight-forward plot.

2. If you went with that idea I'd like to see the fantasy element played up since that would set it apart from the many other school set games. If you went with the other I'd like to see a heavier focus on all the plot elements and character interactions with all the characters and have the individual pairings be more of a side thing.

3. I suggest not having too many characters or a really complex story. People tend to add more to their game as they go along so starting as low as possible is better than starting right off the bat with a really big idea. That goes for both ideas. Also I'd like to see angels who aren't all super good and demons who aren't all jerks. For the other idea I'd like to see some interesting character/setting designs.

Or just do whichever one you enjoy working on more. If you aren't really determined to complete the game it probably won't be completed.
Last edited by Googaboga on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

RubyGem

#3 Post by RubyGem »

Thanks for answering the questions:)

For the Angels and Demons idea, i already have an idea on what characters there are.

Extra question since you chose that idea: would you rather play as a female angel or a human teen who interacts with the other charas?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I'd rather be an angel personally X3. Most VNs have human MCs so it'd be interesting to be something else.

Don't get me wrong though I'd don't really have a problem with the fact most MCs in VNs are human ^^;.
In-Progress:
Released:

RubyGem

#5 Post by RubyGem »

True. I guess it'll be interesting to see high school as a different perspective, huh?

An angel is a pretty good candidate since she has never attended a human school before- much less act as a human so it'll be rather amusing to write about her reactions to life on earth. Haha :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Googaboga »

Yeah plus you wouldn't have to spend time explaining how the human MC knows about demons and angels. If the MC is an angel you'll be able to jump right to the fantasy elements since the MC already knows about it.

Well whichever game idea you go with I look forward it and I wish you luck on your first game :>.
In-Progress:
Released:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I think the main character should be the anti-christ. If you have ever read Good Omens, this can go in many weird and wonderful directions.

Or something like Constantine. Having just an angel or human sounds a bit boring since I would want a main character that contrasted with the other characters in interesting (and sometimes explosive) ways. Plus, it gives you a perfect opportunity to create a plot that focuses on the main character without it being for convenience sake.

RubyGem

#8 Post by RubyGem »

Googaboga wrote:Yeah plus you wouldn't have to spend time explaining how the human MC knows about demons and angels. If the MC is an angel you'll be able to jump right to the fantasy elements since the MC already knows about it.

Well whichever game idea you go with I look forward it and I wish you luck on your first game :>.
True point. Thanks for the luck :)
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I think the main character should be the anti-christ. If you have ever read Good Omens, this can go in many weird and wonderful directions.
It seems interesting but I grew up in a catholic family so the whole anti-christ idea isn't really for me. However, I was thinking that there will be an agnostic angel among the characters.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Or something like Constantine. Having just an angel or human sounds a bit boring since I would want a main character that contrasted with the other characters in interesting (and sometimes explosive) ways. Plus, it gives you a perfect opportunity to create a plot that focuses on the main character without it being for convenience sake.
I'm afraid I don't really understand the whole Constantine. Do you mind explaining??? And your point on the 'main character contrasting with other characters' is noted. I think I have a sketchy idea on this.

Kiki
Regular

#9 Post by Kiki »

I assume by Constantine Auro-Cyanide is referring to John Constantine, the protagonist from the Hellblazer comics and a movie named after him. He's a good example of a (not so ordinary) human contrasting with both angles and devils in a delightfully snarky, anti-hero sort of way. He's rather grey on the moral scale, has a twisted relationship with both sides, fights with angels just as much as he does with demons, etc.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#10 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

RubyGem wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I think the main character should be the anti-christ. If you have ever read Good Omens, this can go in many weird and wonderful directions.
It seems interesting but I grew up in a catholic family so the whole anti-christ idea isn't really for me. However, I was thinking that there will be an agnostic angel among the characters.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Or something like Constantine. Having just an angel or human sounds a bit boring since I would want a main character that contrasted with the other characters in interesting (and sometimes explosive) ways. Plus, it gives you a perfect opportunity to create a plot that focuses on the main character without it being for convenience sake.
I'm afraid I don't really understand the whole Constantine. Do you mind explaining??? And your point on the 'main character contrasting with other characters' is noted. I think I have a sketchy idea on this.
As a note, Good Omens is a book by Terry Prachet and Neil Gaimen and is basically about how the angels and demons lose the anti-christ, whom both sides wanted in order to get the upper hand in the war. It's very quirky, very funny and sounds in line with what you are doing. Though I do understand it if you don't want to look in to because of religious reasons, but as an example of using the demon vs angel mythos the book is fantastic.

Constantine is a movie (and comics before that) from 2005 that is also about the war between heaven and hell and how angels and demons are meant to keep 'the balance' on earth. It's waaaaay darker than what you probably have in mind, but again it's a good example of a main character that sits in the middle of the two sides while very much being involved in the affairs of the higher beings.

RubyGem

#11 Post by RubyGem »

Hm... I think I kinda get a rough idea on what you're saying... And I guess you just gave me an idea for another character. Haha. I guess I'll take the sitting on the fence idea (but I don't think it'll be so dark since it's main genre is romance with GxB) ....

That being said, I think the decision to go with the angels and demons idea has been made. Lol. So, I suppose I shall go and get to work with planning the overall story...

Thanks for the ideas :)

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#12 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

Oh I was too late to this thread. Good luck with your game though!

I think the sci-fi theme sounds more interesting. I think the Angels and Demons one sounds more manageable so glad you decided to go with that.

What if the protagonist of Angels and Demons is half-Angel half-Demon? That way you can choose which side to be part of and you get to be special.

Good Omens is a great book, and a lot of fun.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Googaboga »

Fairy Godfeather wrote: What if the protagonist of Angels and Demons is half-Angel half-Demon? That way you can choose which side to be part of and you get to be special.
I like that idea :]. Although if half-angel half-demon creatures aren't common in the world you create it might be hard to pull that off without some people thinking the MC is a Mary-Sue. But if that type of thing is pretty normal than I don't think anyone will have an issue with it.
In-Progress:
Released:

RubyGem

#14 Post by RubyGem »

It's never too late to give ideas :)

Sadly, I have already more or less gotten the characters and back-stories down. I'll most likely be putting an actual Ideas/WiP thread on it and a Recruitment thread within the week or two.

As for the half-angel and half-demon idea, I like it but I was thinking for the protagonist to be the daughter of Gabriel so for her to be half-demon, it doesn't really... if you get what I mean.

However, I have decided to take that idea and make it the back story of one of the characters. The guy isn't obtainable though... :/

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#15 Post by lemonscent »

I like option two, albeit mainly just since I've read some horrible horrible horrible dystopian novels that have tainted my view of them. If you can pull it off and still make it entertaining, go with it! :]
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)