Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#1156 Post by Applegate »

Have you ever seen kids prank by jotting down someone else's phone number and telling you to ring 'em? I was on the bus the other day, and a small post-it note read: "I have no friends, [phonenumber goes here]". Naturally I decided I'd send them a text message but I never got any response.

However, what if... you did get a response? Or, better yet, what if you truly have no friends and suddenly got a message from a friendly-seeming stranger?

Talking with my mum, we came to the subject of dating and penpals. She's really keen on that forging a bond with people not based on looks but on personality and your exchanges. I think it's interesting to explore that by inserting some modern day penpals with what I hope to be a somewhat realistic scene; How many people'd actually try and ring the number they find scrawled on walls or windows?

The fun part is that you can get mysterious, or thriller, or what have you, as the identity of the person beyond the phone line is a mystery beyond what they tell you. Excitement abounds!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#1157 Post by Coren »

Somehow I'd like to see a horror game featuring the protagonist being trapped inside the mind of a person s/he's wronged in the past. :P

AngelicBlood
Regular
Projects: House of Hearts

#1158 Post by AngelicBlood »

I got this idea not too long ago.

There's a war going on between two kingdoms. They're in a huge hurry to prepare the soldiers. Though, one of the soldiers is different.
It's a very fragile girl,Marisol, who knows little to nothing about how to fight. She doesn't want to fight, either. She wishes for peace only.
However, due to her father being a famous warrior that has saved many people, and the fact that she's the only child left, they were forced to take her in, as the rules back then were that a child must follow their parent's footsteps.
She must prepare herself for the war whether she likes it or not, having only six months. Conor, a strict warrior that fancies her, does not approve of a girl like her being in the army, as she could die easily, and offers her to work together for their freedom and desired peace.
There's also Serene, a war strategist that acts cold and polite towards everyone. She also feels as if Marisol is out of place, but believes she has potential and requests more days of training for her.
Will Marisol end up following her father's footsteps, or will she end up dying? Can she convince everybody to stop all this madness?
5 potential love interests, which she can pursue romantically out of true love, or simply use them for her own advantage.
4 different professions as endings, 10 based on the romantic relationships and 6 ending badly for Marisol and/or everyone else around her.
Daily Schedules and random events, plus your own wardrobe of different clothes.You can also buy new ones.
Commercial project probably, but it will probably be done in the faaaaaar future...

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#1159 Post by Greeny »

Kirroha wrote:Somehow I'd like to see a horror game featuring the protagonist being trapped inside the mind of a person s/he's wronged in the past. :P
Sequel to The Madness? I'm getting ideas already... We'll see how the release is recieved! :D
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

dorne
Regular

#1160 Post by dorne »

I'd like to see a story where a cannibal in our society targets raw vegans for their delicious meat.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#1161 Post by megatuga »

I was about to write a thread about this but I suppose I will leave it here... hope nobody steals my ideas... (lol)

I had this idea while having an idle chatter with people I know from roleplaying groups/forums.

The setting is the following: The MC is bored with his/her common life and wants to do something exciting for once. Almost like answering to the prayers of the MC, he/she receives an e-mail which grants access to a whole new world and a link. Upon clicking it the MC is transported into a dimension called RP World (name pending), a virtual parallel universe in which every planet has a different sort of genre to interact with (sci-fi, medieval, rustic, egyptian, etc.). And every user logs in with an avatar based of his/her dreams and desires. In this world, they can do basically another life, all of that while their real body is sleeping and treating this experience as a dream.

Now here is the most difficult catch: I thought of making version of the game (akin to Pokemon games which come in two different types). Each version would have more focus on a specific genre (as well as the MC in it). And the big thing would be the possibility of exporting your save file from one version into other. All the versions would have similar story and on specific keypoints of the story, depending on the version you are playing, an event will trigger depending if you are playing the version you began with or another different ones. This would replace some of the choices to be made in the future, and offer a bigger perspective. Or the player could just play the version he/she started with and focus on that specific genre.
-----------------

You can create and customize the MC which you will be controlling. Gender, name and personality traits. Gender and name are obvious, they alter how the characters in the story address you. Personality traits will lock you on options, making choices appear, impossibility to pick a certain option that would be available otherwise...
To make an example consider these four traits (reserved, shy, active, egocentric): In an event where you had to participate in a social party, the reserved character would not even consider showing up, the shy would show up but would not talk to anyone, the active would go to the party have be sure to have a chat with all, the egocentric would find the most popular person on his/her eyes and boast about him/herself.
This is without making choices, an event where you had to make choices would be:
Consider these options: A girl asks you to have lunch with her.
1. Refuse and leave.
2. Accept.
3. Ask why.
4. Say you are busy.

The reserved character would only have access to option 1. The shy character could only pick 1 and 2. The active character has access to choices 1,2 and 4. And the egocentric character would only have 3 and 4.

Do you understand the concept now?

I can see the second idea working, but as for the first one... let's just say that I was having a bad moment in my life and my brain came up with that. I think it sounds like an inconceivable concept having different versions that change how you play... but even the gaming industries do that quite often. But It might not work that well in a VN. Anyway the idea is out there.

As for the customization of the MC, it seems a more plausible idea if you ask me. Basically you are setting flags by deciding how you want your MC to be. I don't think it is impossible to do, but probably I shouldn't count much on it.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#1162 Post by ririruetoo »

I was thinking, what if someone made a game based on the Takarazuka Revue? It would be a sim that follows one young woman as she makes her way up the ranks of the Revue first having to make her way through the school, getting into a select revue *Flower, Moon,Snow,Star,Cosmos* doing well at the shows and gradually getting better and better roles and becoming a star. It wouldn't necessarily have to have romance in it, maybe as a side-plot, but I think that friendships and rivalry and general team work would be enough for the plot. Throughout the game the choices she makes will play into what sort of future she will have ( most famous star in all of Takarazuka history, drop out etc.) or what role she'll play in the show ( will she be a otokoyaku ( a woman playing a male's role) or will she play a musumeyaku (a woman's part)?

For those that don't know what the Takarazuka Revue is here's a little info:

The Takarazuka Revue (宝塚歌劇団 Takarazuka Kagekidan) is a Japanese all-female musical theater troupe based in Takarazuka, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. Women play all roles in lavish, Broadway-style productions of Western-style musicals, and sometimes stories adapted from shōjo manga and Japanese folktales. The troupe takes its name from the Hankyu Takarazuka rail line in suburban Osaka. The company is a division of the Hankyu Railway company; all members of the troupe are employed by the company. Before becoming a member of the troupe, a young woman must train for two years in the Takarazuka Music School, one of the most competitive of its kind in the world. Each year, thousands from all over Japan audition. The 40 to 50 who are accepted are trained in music, dance, and acting, and are given seven-year contracts. The school is famous for its strict discipline and its custom of having first-year students clean the premises each morning.
The first year, all women train together before being divided by the faculty and the current troupe members into otokoyaku and musumeyaku at the end of the year. Those playing otokoyaku cut their hair short, take on a more masculine role in the classroom, and speak in the masculine form.

-Wikipedia

I think it would be extremely fun to play, and lovely considering the beautiful shows the Takarazuka perform. Does it sound interesting to anyone?
ImageImageImage

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#1163 Post by papillon »

I think it would be cool, but it would require a lot of research to do it right. Something like that would be a big letdown if it hinged around such a cultural element and then half-assed the details.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#1164 Post by ririruetoo »

That's true, but done right I think it would be amazing. Although it would require some effort in the research department, but for someone dedicated I don't think it would be that challenging.
ImageImageImage

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1165 Post by gekiganwing »

The first game in the Sakura Wars franchise was partly inspired by Takarazuka. It also has steam mechs, comedy, demons, hetero romance, and hammy villains.

A theme closer to home: the main character is an actor, but his/her real personality is very different from his/her public persona. The conflict begins when the person "breaks character" in public.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#1166 Post by LVUER »

megatuga wrote:I was about to write a thread about this but I suppose I will leave it here... hope nobody steals my ideas... (lol)
You're supposed to write here hoping your idea WILL BE stolen by someone who can actually make a VN out of it. But hey, even if you make your own thread for the idea, you can't blame or sue someone for "stealing" it. Can you prove it's your idea he's using? Are you sure it's not his original idea? Are you sure he's not think about it first? Besides, idea alone can't be copyrighted. Idea is just... an idea. Nothing more.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#1167 Post by megatuga »

I thought the "(lol)" bit on the sentence you quoted from me was enough to tell you that I was being sarcastic... :P

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#1168 Post by LVUER »

megatuga wrote:I thought the "(lol)" bit on the sentence you quoted from me was enough to tell you that I was being sarcastic... :P
Oh I see... Well, what can I do? I'm a bit weak at detecting sarcasm (it's true).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Armee
Veteran

#1169 Post by Armee »

With this...
Kirroha wrote:Somehow I'd like to see a horror game featuring the protagonist being trapped inside the mind of a person s/he's wronged in the past. :P
Combine with this...
Applegate wrote:However, what if... you did get a response? Or, better yet, what if you truly have no friends and suddenly got a message from a friendly-seeming stranger?
The fun part is that you can get mysterious, or thriller, or what have you, as the identity of the person beyond the phone line is a mystery beyond what they tell you. Excitement abounds!
Equal...
I got an idea for my next project! Q.Q Thank guys! people on LSF is the best

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#1170 Post by Greeny »

Heartstoppers

A comedy about two master assassins who kill their targets through the ancient art of... swoon-fu.
Leaving no trace behind but a mysterious sudden cardiac arrest, and a smile on the victim's face...
Features minigames! The male heartstopper has to select the right dialogue options to completely win a female target's heart... and then crush it in his palm! The female heartstopper has a dress-up minigame involving figuring out a male targets secret desires and getting the right outfit to take his blood pressure to lethal levels...

Ridiculous premise... endless possibilities.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter