OUYA - The console for $99 that supports Android

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: OUYA - The console for $99 that supports Android

#31 Post by jack_norton »

I'd prefer a upfront sum personally for the reason you stated (when you have 20 games doing accounting and % is a total pain and there's always the risk of making mistakes). An alternative I've seen in some libraries/tools would be a subscription model, like $99/year and such.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#32 Post by llplldll »

Its good to see the OUYA finally released. I was thinking of picking one up at BestBuy or Target...however Ive been seeing really iffy reviews for it on Youtube.
I really hope it gets some traction and non-developers (consumers) will hopefully buy it. I wonder how it will fair once the competition arrives?
The upcoming competitors to OUYA seem to offer a lot more from a comsumer perspective (access to googleplay, Amazon appstore etc...)

From a developer perspective it seems kind of cool though. I'd really like to make something in Unity and put it on there. Ive always wanted to make something for console and finally OUYA makes it so accessible! \(^v^)/

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#33 Post by PyTom »

llplldll wrote:Its good to see the OUYA finally released. I was thinking of picking one up at BestBuy or Target...however Ive been seeing really iffy reviews for it on Youtube.
At least in my opinion, many of those reviews are kind of unfair. The OUYA isn't as powerful as the PS3 or XBOX 360, but that's known going in. I'd put it on par with the PS2 or WII in terms of quality - except it's pushing the same quality out over HD, if that makes sense.

The interesting gamble is that the OUYA is going with an app store model. That means anyone that wants to can post a game in their store, with relatively minimal review. There's a lot of junk in the store, but a few gems. I don't think you'll see very many games on the big consoles made by very small teams, retailing for a couple of bucks - but that's what you get for the OUYA.

You get a lot of games like that on phones - but console games are a different type from phone games. I think OUYA gets a bit of value from being the first store for Android-based console games. (But hey, what do I know?)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by jack_norton »

The biggest risk of OUYA is that it gets ignored by the big publishers, and indies use it only as another platform to do quick ports of their mobile games. For VNs that wouldn't be a big problem since is not much effort to implement gamepad input (and Ren'Py had built-in joystick support!), but for more complex games like RPG is going to be a pain. I wouldn't want to port any of my RPG if wasn't sure about the potential revenues, because is going to be a lot of effort to make them work with the gamepad :(
computer games

MikeConway

#35 Post by MikeConway »

Square Enix ported Final Fantasy III to it, so somebody thinks there's a market for this. I imagine they're testing the waters, but still, they did a good job on the port. I do think that this is the perfect platform for VN's, really, even better than Xbox 360 (there are precious little VN's there, but I think the OUYA team made it easier for us).

MikeConway

#36 Post by MikeConway »

jack_norton wrote:I'd prefer a upfront sum personally for the reason you stated (when you have 20 games doing accounting and % is a total pain and there's always the risk of making mistakes). An alternative I've seen in some libraries/tools would be a subscription model, like $99/year and such.
Oh, dear god, let's not see a subscription model, either. It seems like everybody's going to that, and I'm currently avoiding software that is. I'd rather just own the stuff outright. I'd be happy to pay up-front for it, for sure.

Crazyreyn

#37 Post by Crazyreyn »

I'd love to see my games on Ouya - I'm not skilled enough to port it across myself so some sort of official support or how-to guide from the community would be great.

MikeConway

#38 Post by MikeConway »

Crazyreyn wrote:I'd love to see my games on Ouya - I'm not skilled enough to port it across myself so some sort of official support or how-to guide from the community would be great.
I second that emotion. I can program the games, but if there's something different we need to do, well...

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#39 Post by dramspringfeald »

MikeConway wrote:
Crazyreyn wrote:I'd love to see my games on Ouya - I'm not skilled enough to port it across myself so some sort of official support or how-to guide from the community would be great.
I second that emotion. .
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NathanFo ... onsole.php
http://ouyadb.com/
http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/articles/ho ... a-gamedev/
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#40 Post by Camille »

There was this tutorial posted today that talks specifically about porting Ren'Py games to OUYA. However the RAPT documentation causes my eyes to glaze over every time I look at it, so I haven't actually attempted porting our games to Android/OUYA just yet. _(:3」∠)_

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by jack_norton »

Ah lol is that simple? I might try with one game then, should take 5 minutes.
If you think RAPT is difficult/painful, try submitting a game to iOS using Xcode. You'll lose 10 years of your life :lol:
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by jack_norton »

Haha successfully submitted after just 1h (and because I didn't understand correctly the instructions)!!
Compared to the super mega P.I.T.A. that was the iOS... I had to buy an ipad mini, update to latest Mac OS and then after 3 weeks of attempts going insane, the game was still rejected for "random silly reason 982/b".
On this, I just follow the instructions in a blog and modify by hand XML and WORKS!! and I don't even own an OUYA :lol:
Of course this was just a test, I plan to get the OUYA and support Pytom libraries when he releases them, even with a yearly subscription. When I compare the power and simplicity of Renpy+RAPT with all the other engines, I think is worth MUCH MORE than most other libraries on the market. IMHO of course.
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#43 Post by PyTom »

There is an issue I'm looking into with RAPT on OUYA, where we're not auto-saving when the user returns to the main menu. I'd hold off on submitting non-trivial games to the store until this is fixed. (Non-trivial = where losing a save would be important.)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#44 Post by jack_norton »

For now I only tried submitting Heileen so even if saves don't work isn't a big deal :)
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#45 Post by PyTom »

I've submitted Moonlight Walks with an experimental version of Ren'Py and RAPT. (It's actually pretty nifty to see it in the Make section of the Ouya interface.)