a2 ~a due~ [GxB][Dramedy][NaNo 2013] - new music downloads!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: a2 ~a due~ [GxB][Dramedy][NaNo 2013] + Android, German

#121 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Arowana wrote:
Kokoro Hane wrote:So....I installed this, but it wouldn't even advance past the first text block! It starts....I click, and it repeats.... Is this some kind of error?
Yeah, that shouldn't be happening! Does the text advance if you hit the Enter key, or are you still stuck?

May I also ask which version are you playing (Windows, Mac, etc.) and if you have downloaded the newest version from the first post? (I know in the old version, there was a bug that kept you from advancing in fullscreen mode, but it should be fixed in the new version)
I was using Windows.

Hmmm....I will try re-downloading and see what happens!

EDIT: The latest is version 1.0 right? I have that one. Yes, when I hit enter, nothing, Also I notice it doesn't have an exit on the main menu x.x
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#122 Post by Arowana »

Kokoro Hane wrote: I was using Windows.

Hmmm....I will try re-downloading and see what happens!

EDIT: The latest is version 1.0 right? I have that one. Yes, when I hit enter, nothing, Also I notice it doesn't have an exit on the main menu x.x
Huh, that's a very strange error, and I'm not quite sure what is causing it. Sorry you're having so much trouble getting it to run! :oops: Just to make sure, both versions were actually named 1.0; the newer one should be around 120 MB, while the older one is much smaller. You are trying the newly-downloaded ~120 MB version, right? If so, maybe trying fullscreen vs. windows mode, checking if other Renpy games run okay, or restarting your computer might help?

(And yes, we forgot to add a Quit button to the main menu! Good catch - we'll add it to the future version for sure. xD)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

offbeatart

#123 Post by offbeatart »

So I just finished playing this game last night... and it was really awesome.

I love the story and the art and the song! (Yep.. specially the song)
I don't normally go for mohawk and strict guys, Sona rocked it and Hao was just :D !!
Also I loved how Hao managed to get Sona to understand that her father actually love her, he just didn't know how to show it. The part where it said something about her dad trying to stop Sona's hate for music even if she continued to hate him made my cry. And that's a bit thing considering I'm tough! *cough* (yeah right.)
Though most of the time, I couldn't understand half the things Hao was saying. I'm half chinese who spent studying the language for 10 years and yet I only managed to roughly translate some things... sigh. So when Sona said
"You're probably saying something really cool, but I can't understand it!"
I was all... "Yep. Exactly what I'm thinking."

But anyway.... Loved everything!
specially the crazy orchestra.

Hope you guys continue making more great games! No pressure. :))

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#124 Post by Ran08 »

I love love love this. <3

I posted a review on my blog. Hahaha. I think it's a bit long though, so I'm going to summarize it here. :)) Haha.

I totally loved the story, and the music, and the art. Everything! Ooooh, Gerald Ko's voice is awesome. <3 It gives me goosebumps. The song is just so lovely and I think it suits the story well! I find myself going back to the music gallery over and over just to listen to that song.

The art? Super lovely. Even though there are only 2 characters, I liked them a lot. Hahaha. Although, yes, they're a bit stereotypical for me (rocker girl with a mohawk and strict guy in glasses haha), I liked them very much. I think the portrayal of the personalities in the art was very good.

As for the story, it's one of the best I've ever read. Haha. I mean it. It managed to capture my heart. I could totally feel the emotions radiating from my phone. Hahaha. This is one of my favorite visual novels now. :) Thank you so much for this wonderful story.

Oh, but won't there be a sequel?! Huhuhu. I wish there was one. Even just a mini-story. :( I'm totally craving for more. Haha.

I wish you all good luck on your other projects! :)

Pixelen

#125 Post by Pixelen »

I loved this game! Played it through all today and managed to get all three endings so now I'm playing again to see the English translations of what Hao says. The art, the music, the story - everything about it is awesome. Thanks to all those involved with making it and thank you for sharing it with us!

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#126 Post by Chrizine »

I just played through this and have to say I loved it so much :)

I got the con amore route first and if I remember correctly I started crying when they talked about her father in the rain and I guess I didn't really stop till the end... And even then, after this ending I longed for more... And more than that short bonus chapter, too!

The friendship ending was in a way more satisfying and not so tear-inducing, I liked it as well.

As for the last route... If it wouldn't have been necessary to unlock the translation I'm not sure wether I would have managed to be so mean to Hao... And then the ending was really... wow. I don't know what to say about it, actually ;) It totally surprised me (in a good way!)

I also liked Sona, though I hated that one scene when
she knocks his hand away after he tries to make her stay...
I wanted to stop her from that so badly! But it turned out fine afterwards, so I guess it was okay :) And at least she really has a character, I liked that a lot!

And it was really interesting how their relationship developed over the language barrier (and I have no knowledge of chinese at all, so I didn't understand a thing before I unlocked the translation... which was pretty funny, actually) - I loved the idea of them finding a common language in music terms :)

Please, please, please, make a remake with a longer epilogue!
I don't mind if it takes a while, just don't forget about it! (And I want you to finish the Pirate Mermaid project as well, I actually found this game in your thread there... So I don't mind waiting for this ending longer if it means I get to play that sooner ;))
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

narutochats
Regular

#127 Post by narutochats »

Let me just start by saying that this game, and any of your games for that matter, shouldn't be free.

Not even exaggerating. this was one of the best games I played. Even though I've played longer VN games, this game told a much more beautiful and amazing story than any of those longer games ever could. It takes an beautiful story to move me to tears, heck, it takes a lot to get me to even cry. But this game made me cry a lot more than once, and I was absolutely moved by the drama and the storyline. I just completed the romance path, and I can't be more in love with this game. They were two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT people, polar opposites, who couldn't understand each other through their separate languages, but they just broke the language barrier, and they found their own language to share together, and found love. It's so beautiful to see that their love/friendship surpassed something as important as language through this story, and how love/friendship made them understand each other in their own special way. I also used to be a major twilight fan, which I feels has an incredible and beautiful love story, but I feel that this is most likely the best love story I've ever seen/read. (Still a better love story than Twilight xD) Also, I was thinking the whole time how I wish this was a movie! This would be the perfect romantic comedy!

Haha, but anyways, LOVED the music. At first, since it's a free game, I couldn't believe that the music was original. Once I found out it was, I was just in awe. "We Are Legend" is such a beautiful song, and I wish I could hear an actual orchestra or pianist play it! The song gave me chills, and made me very emotional! >w<

The art was just great!!! This also surprised me how well it was! I really loved the art style of the characters and the cgs, and they bgs made the story very more realistic! The chibis....were just....shooo cute~!!! ^~^ They were so adorable! Every time a new chibi picture popped up, i was spazzing out~ Really loved those!

Both Sona and Hao's personalities were perfectly in-character. Very well thought out, and not once did they go out of character. When Sona got angry during the 'rain scene', i noted how well character she was in. Yes, she calmed down, but she was stubborn before she did. And I just really loved how they changed each other for the better~

And lastly, the GUI. Really love it! Love the extras, and the fact that you can go back to previous chapters~ The design and coding was really well done here! Overall, the game was just outstanding. The amount of time and effort put into this really showed, and it's just amazing how you managed to make such a beautiful story in simply one month's time. I think I've been going on for too long now, but I hope you understand just how much this game moved me! Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful story for me to enjoy and love! This story deserves a lot more attention than it has got, and your stories really shouldn't be free, even though no amount of money paid is good enough for them~ A million out of ten for this game, I'll be playing through the other two routes soon, and I'll be looking forward to your future games~ :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :D

Lire
Regular
Projects: Witch Hunt
Location: Anywhere this minds follows.. stops at Indonesia for now..

#128 Post by Lire »

This vn..
Sona and Mr.Hao~ Good one.. *thumbs
http://scan-vn.blogspot.com/2013/06/a2-due.html
Not enough time..
Or i'm a genius in wasting time.. :lol:

aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

#129 Post by aphosphene »

I hate you. Because this beautiful product of yours made me cry.

Seriously though, a2 has got to be one of the best OELVN out there, and definitely the best I've read (or played) in a long, long while. I love the concept of communicating through music theory despite the huge language barrier between Sona and Hao, whoever thought of it deserves a lifetime supply of cheesecake (unless you have diabetes).

The story and dialogue is so well written. So snappy and witty and heart wrenching. I can definitely relate to Sona's dilemma with having an overachieving father. Hao's backstory reduced me to a puddle of shameless tears (my cousin was just staring at me the whole time like I've lost my mind).

Character development is superb and realistic. I love how their completely different personalities give life to the story. They never went out of character. Also, I love Sona's design. I was never really fond of mohawks until her. Te secondary characters (the orchestra) are lovable, even if the reader only gets to see them once in that certain hilarous CG. And the music, ah the music. I love it! And Gerald Ko's We Are Legend is beautiful, but I fell even more in love with the orchestral version. The music blends perfectly with the moods of the game.

GUI is fantastic. My eyes definitely appreciate the blue theme going on. Also I love the extra features, the gallery, the translation option, the music gallery, the ever helpful glossary and even the showcasing of Hao and Sona's masterpieces! The chibis are adorable. I scream every time they pop up. The CGs bother me a bit though, maybe that's just me. I always like seeing consistency in art, such a terrible quality of mine. But I do hope they improve in the remastered version!

I cannot believe you were able to finish this in a month, with all these features and release it for free! Anyway, I am grateful for that though. This is definitely a one of a kind VN. All I can say is, well done.
Attachments
I love a2 so much I had to draw SONA and HAO. Scanner was broken, so have a crappy picture for now.
I love a2 so much I had to draw SONA and HAO. Scanner was broken, so have a crappy picture for now.
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#130 Post by lemonscent »

So I stayed up till 3 last night playing this on my phone, and wow. Time well spent.
Although the romance ending (I think that's what I got) wasn't... romantic, orz.
You should at least have given us a kiss ;u;
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#131 Post by Arowana »

Sorry for the late reply, everyone! Nellie and I have both been a bit busy with work lately, but it cheers us up every time we see a new comment or review here. xD Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to leave their thoughts on our game - we really appreciate it!

I should also mention that we recently updated the Android version of a2 using the new and improved RAPT. The new version (1.06) fixes several errors, improves the chapter gallery using Replay(), and reduces crashes. So if you haven't tried the Android version yet, give the newest update a go. :)

@ offbeatart
Haha, no pressure! I'm glad you liked the game and the theme song (Gerald's music is awesome) so much. I'm also glad that the characters managed to win you over, even though they might not be the types you usually go for. ^^ And I'm sure you are very tough! That makes it all the more flattering to hear our story had an emotional impact on you. :) I used to study Chinese too, but I haven't practiced in a long time. D: So I can definitely relate to not understanding Hao most of the time!

@ Ran08
Wah, thanks so much for your lovely in-depth review! I really enjoyed reading your interpretation of "We Are Legend" too. ^_^ To tell you the truth, I can't hear what some of the lyrics are either, haha, but I think Gerald might try to do a better recording when he has more time.

I'm really happy that the art and story left such a good impression on you! As for the sequel, the remastered version will have an expanded bonus chapter/short side story set after the main game, so I guess that is kind of like a sequel? Haha, maybe more like a mini-story. We are still brainstorming ideas for it, so let us know if there is anything in particular you would like to see!

@ Pixelen
Our thanks go to you for playing our game! It really makes all our work feel worthwhile to hear from players like you who enjoyed it. :D

@ Chrizine
I'm glad you liked the language barrier concept and the different endings!
The friendship ending is actually my favorite because I think it's the happiest! ^_^ The love ending is definitely more bittersweet, and the "bad" ending is...a total troll end? Ahaha, we had a lot of fun coming up with all the crazy random things for it!
And yes, the remake should have a longer epilogue! We originally wanted to do a longer bonus chapter, but ran out of time. ^^ So it will be one of our top priorities for the new version. :) And yay, thanks for the Pirate Mermaid support! Pirate Mermaid is actually my and Nellie's main focus right now, so we're going to try and finish that first before returning to a2.

@ narutochats
I'm so flattered that you think our work could be commercial, and that our story was able to move you! (blush) We were definitely going for a romantic comedy, sweet drama type vibe, so it's great that it worked in that regard.

I'm also glad you liked the original music! We are big fans of Gerald Ko, so we felt really lucky that we got permission to use his songs. I also adore the orchestral arrangement of "We Are Legend" that Nellie did. <3 Her chibi pictures were my favorite arts as well! But actually, one of the things I'm happiest about is that you noticed the extras! I spent a lot of time near the end of the month coding the different sections, but wasn't sure if people really use them. It feels more worthwhile now! :)

@ Lire
Thanks a bunch for doing a review on our game! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. :D

@ aphosphene
Aaaah omg, thanks so much for the fanart (and the cheesecake)! :D Your drawings are so amazingly cute - I just saved them to my computer so I can admire them forever. <3 I can't want to see little Hao colored. <3 <3 <3

I'm glad you enjoyed the characters and writing! I relate a lot to certain parts of Sona and Hao's stories as well, so I really wanted those emotions to be properly conveyed in the story. As for the music, I am also super fond of the orchestral version of the theme song - Nellie did an awesome job arranging it so quickly! Also so very happy you noticed the extras too (cries tears of joy). We spent a big chunk of time designing/coding them near the end of the month, so I'm inordinately happy whenever people use them! And yes, improved CGs are one of our top priorities for the remastered version. Let us know if there were any issues in particular that you definitely think should be addressed.

@ lemonscent
Thanks for trying the mobile version! Lol, the romance ending actually does have a kiss! Maybe you got the friendship ending instead?
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

#132 Post by aphosphene »

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it and thank you too. :D I'll try to color Hao as soon as I get some free time, college is killing me. I might draw some more of them though. :3

I did have some issues with the game after I updated it (oh, I played the android version). It would crash after the splashscreen. But don't worry, when I installed it again it worked perfectly. :)

I can't wait for the new CGs. *cough*icouldhelp*cough*. Haha. To be frank, I just wanna draw some more smexy Hao. :lol:
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

lemonscent
Regular

#133 Post by lemonscent »

Well I did see the kiss, but that kiss was... too one-sided to count orz.
When I say a kiss, I mean one where both of them are all "YAYYY WE'RE KISSING", not one where sona's like "I'M GONNA KISS YOU" and hao's like "WHAT JUST HAPPENED MANG".
★Remembrance - a WIP

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#134 Post by Nellie »

aphosphene wrote:You're welcome! I'm glad you like it and thank you too. :D I'll try to color Hao as soon as I get some free time, college is killing me. I might draw some more of them though. :3

I did have some issues with the game after I updated it (oh, I played the android version). It would crash after the splashscreen. But don't worry, when I installed it again it worked perfectly. :)

I can't wait for the new CGs. *cough*icouldhelp*cough*. Haha. To be frank, I just wanna draw some more smexy Hao. :lol:
Those drawings are really amazing <3 Can't wait for the coloured version :wink:

I had the same issue - game crashes after splashscreen after the the auto update, but everything went perfectly normal after reinstalling it. I hope it wouldn't affect too many ppl >_< Glad the new install works well though! :)

Ohhh.... an offer to help with new CGs...... Ohohohohohoho... Victim spotted! Hope you don't regret this decision in the future :twisted:

lemonscent wrote:Well I did see the kiss, but that kiss was... too one-sided to count orz.
When I say a kiss, I mean one where both of them are all "YAYYY WE'RE KISSING", not one where sona's like "I'M GONNA KISS YOU" and hao's like "WHAT JUST HAPPENED MANG".
LOL! I love your descriptions! XD
We felt that a 'YAYY WE'RE KISSING' scene might be a bit OOC for Sona and Hao, so we didn't implement it. But do check out the remake with extended prologue... You might just get to see what you want :wink:

Another update - We're working on getting a2 ported to iOS for the iOS users out there! Once it's done, we'll have to look at getting an iOS dev account and so on... But you might just be able to see a2 on the appstore sooner than we initially thought it'd take! :) YAY~

lemonscent
Regular

#135 Post by lemonscent »

Haha thanks, I guess.
And >__< okay! I'm looking forward to the extended version.
★Remembrance - a WIP