DUÆL [VN/RPG Hybrid] [SciFi/Fantasy](Now with voice acting!)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

Re: DUÆL [VN/RPG Hybrid] [SciFi/Fantasy] [BxB]

#16 Post by Mole-chan »

unknown5 wrote:wow, enjoyed playing this! loved the cinematic style and flavor.
feels like you put a lot of your heart and soul into it.
i liked .hack//SIGN, so your story had a similar vibe that i liked.
oh, also i didn't realize it was BxB when i dl'ed it, lol. not that it
matters to me. a good story is a good story. =) congrats!
uwaaa, thank you. ;v; Yeah, I really did work hard on it, and it was a story that was close to my heart, so I'm glad it shows!
Ah, it is similar to .hack, now that I think about it. XDD I hadn't realized that before.
XD Yeah, it's easy not to realize it at first. I did put the story and character development before the subtext, so at first it doesn't seem like a typical bxb game setup. I'm glad it didn't diminish your enjoyment of it, though.
Thanks! >V<

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#17 Post by Boniae »

Congrats on the release! Wow I'm excited to play it! I'll edit the post with my comments. :mrgreen:

Mole-chan
Veteran

#18 Post by Mole-chan »

Boniae wrote:Congrats on the release! Wow I'm excited to play it! I'll edit the post with my comments. :mrgreen:
Thank you! >V< I hope you enjoy it.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by CheeryMoya »

Just got the normal ending and
I'm so mad ugh Cadfael you melodramatic idiot don't just leave Kuruk to- damn you all.
Joking aside, I can tell you put a lot of work into this. Animated OP! Blinking sprites! Moving mouths! Multiple poses! Actual falling snow!! I really liked it uwu

The writing was one of the weaker points, unfortunately. So much tell and not enough show ("Walter felt worried about Cadfael" instead of Walter asking Cadfael how he was doing). The use of third person POV and present tense also bothered someone when I was streaming the game with them. His reason was because "present tense makes you feel closer to the characters but third person POV distances them." In other words, it was an odd combo of narration style and tenses. After all the characters started adventuring together it wasn't so bad, but when it focused on Walter or Cadfael only, it was a bit odd.
The amount of purple prose and narration was also a bit distracting. You described a lot of the scenery and characters that were already on-screen, which is a little redundant. You didn't need to go so in-depth into the descriptions of the actions either, though if you wanted to you could have used NVL mode (somehow it just reads more naturally when it's all on the screen like that). More dialogue between characters could have conveyed their own emotions as well, instead of telling us that "Walter was feeling insecure, etc. etc."
Despite that, I enjoyed the story. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to plots like these, but it was good.

I have to admit that the GUI sorta bummed me out, everything besides the main menu and GUI was default. The weapons screen was disorganized and the RPG GUI didn't match the normal textbox. Even using the same frame/pattern as the regular textbox would have been fine. The manual also had a Pref screen different from what's actually in the game, though it doesn't matter much. It's still amazing that you used the RPG engine on your first game.

BTW, encountered a bug where I tried to start a new game after finishing my first playthrough. I didn't close out of the window if that means anything.

Code: Select all

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 10, in script
  File "game/stat_displays.rpy", line 62, in python
NameError: global name 'cad_love' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 265, in run
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 1008, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\exports.py", line 887, in with_statement
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1498, in do_with
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1799, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1925, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1617, in compute_overlay
  File "game/stat_displays.rpy", line 62, in bar_overlay
I also noticed that it was hellishly hard in the final boss battle against the egg thing, it kept OHKO-ing Cadfael even though I got Kuruk to defend him. The move option was still in the action screen as well, though you couldn't move anywhere.
I'll be back with the rest of my thoughts after I get the other two endings. Congrats on your first game!

Mole-chan
Veteran

#20 Post by Mole-chan »

CheeryMoya wrote:Just got the normal ending and
I'm so mad ugh Cadfael you melodramatic idiot don't just leave Kuruk to- damn you all.
Joking aside, I can tell you put a lot of work into this. Animated OP! Blinking sprites! Moving mouths! Multiple poses! Actual falling snow!! I really liked it uwu

The writing was one of the weaker points, unfortunately. So much tell and not enough show ("Walter felt worried about Cadfael" instead of Walter asking Cadfael how he was doing). The use of third person POV and present tense also bothered someone when I was streaming the game with them. His reason was because "present tense makes you feel closer to the characters but third person POV distances them." In other words, it was an odd combo of narration style and tenses. After all the characters started adventuring together it wasn't so bad, but when it focused on Walter or Cadfael only, it was a bit odd.
The amount of purple prose and narration was also a bit distracting. You described a lot of the scenery and characters that were already on-screen, which is a little redundant. You didn't need to go so in-depth into the descriptions of the actions either, though if you wanted to you could have used NVL mode (somehow it just reads more naturally when it's all on the screen like that). More dialogue between characters could have conveyed their own emotions as well, instead of telling us that "Walter was feeling insecure, etc. etc."
Despite that, I enjoyed the story. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to plots like these, but it was good.

I have to admit that the GUI sorta bummed me out, everything besides the main menu and GUI was default. The weapons screen was disorganized and the RPG GUI didn't match the normal textbox. Even using the same frame/pattern as the regular textbox would have been fine. The manual also had a Pref screen different from what's actually in the game, though it doesn't matter much. It's still amazing that you used the RPG engine on your first game.

BTW, encountered a bug where I tried to start a new game after finishing my first playthrough. I didn't close out of the window if that means anything.

Code: Select all

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 10, in script
  File "game/stat_displays.rpy", line 62, in python

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 265, in run
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 1008, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\exports.py", line 887, in with_statement
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1498, in do_with
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1799, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1925, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\DUAEL 1.0-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1617, in compute_overlay
  File "game/stat_displays.rpy", line 62, in bar_overlay
I also noticed that it was hellishly hard in the final boss battle against the egg thing, it kept OHKO-ing Cadfael even though I got Kuruk to defend him. The move option was still in the action screen as well, though you couldn't move anywhere.
I'll be back with the rest of my thoughts after I get the other two endings. Congrats on your first game!
I see. Thank you for your input. ^^ I'm glad you enjoyed it, regardless.

I admit GUI isn't really my strong suit. I tried to make it decent but it probably shows. The equipment screen came with the engine. The pref screen in the manual is a beta, I'm afraid. xD; I only realized recently that it was using old screenshots.

Huh, that's an odd bug. I'm not sure why it would try to display the love bar in a new game, but I'll see what I can do. I'll try to fix the move option, as well.

Tomoyo Ichijouji
Completed: Groups of Two
Organization: Videocaptor Productions
Tumblr: tomoyoichijouji
Deviantart: tomoyoichijouji
Github: tomoyo-ichijouji
Soundcloud: tomoyo-ichijouji

#21 Post by Tomoyo Ichijouji »

I guess my response to the thing about 'showing, not telling', I think it would have portrayed Walter as uncharacteristically outgoing and solicitous if he talked about everything he was feeling and asked others about it, particularly at the beginning. I.e., frequent dialogue seems to me to be out of character for him, and thus there's a character portrayal point to the abundant narration.

I do see where at some points there is some 'telling' happening where it isn't necessary. But I think it would throw the baby out with the bathwater by eliminating the narration entirely to only have dialogue. There are many things that a visual novel can't show you by its limited visual scope (because it's not animated or fully cinematic by nature). Rather, it would be more of a matter for me of trimming some 'telling' sentences out of it, thereby making the prose more sensory and rich; sometimes dialogue won't cut it for 'showing' the environment, or feelings and sensory touches that are not verbal or visible.

Katrina_K

#22 Post by Katrina_K »

Tomoyo Ichijouji wrote: I think it would have portrayed Walter as uncharacteristically outgoing and solicitous if he talked about everything he was feeling and asked others about it, particularly at the beginning. I.e., frequent dialogue seems to me to be out of character for him, and thus there's a character portrayal point to the abundant narration.
I do see where at some points there is some 'telling' happening where it isn't necessary. But I think it would throw the baby out with the bathwater by eliminating the narration entirely to only have dialogue.
I think there should be a balance between what you and Cheery Moya are discussing.
Perhaps dialogue is not the way to go about "showing," but there are definitely other ways to go about character development without being very direct about it.
Like, an action can convey Walter's personality- ex: he tries to initiate conversation with Cadfael, but stops.

I'm kind of an insecure person myself, but rarely do I say "I am insecure." It's my actions that show my insecurity.
"..say what you want, but I will be taking the cake."

Mole-chan
Veteran

#23 Post by Mole-chan »

Sorry about the delay on this bug fix!

Fixed two reported bugs:
*Trying and failing to display bars when starting a new game immediately after finishing a previous one.
*Move skill remaining for final battles.

Distributions are being updated. For those who already downloaded the game, please replace your 'scripts.rpa' file with the one attached. Thank you!
Attachments

[The extension rpa has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Chibichann
Regular

#24 Post by Chibichann »

looks cool, and DOWNLOAD

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#25 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Oh my gosh! This was my first bxb game and let me tell you.. you made me love it sooo much! I really liked Cadfael! He was so cool, and just-- amazing! Great job!
i'll cry if you yell at me

SakanaTonic
Projects: (Re)writing Memories

#26 Post by SakanaTonic »

I actually downloaded this game and maybe read the first few screens of it before putting it off for a while after the first battle. I recently picked it back up again and am currently somewhere past the halfway point where the old man (... whose name i forgot 8'}) was explaining the origins of the Black Mist. I'm probably going to take my time with the game but I can definitely tell that a lot of work went into the making of the game and I'm really enjoying it right now! I'll probably leave a more detailed response after I actually finish the game first though, but so far it's really great!
no lie i actually started laughing really hard when cadfael and walter were alone in the room and cadfael suggests they 'make love'. i know it's supposed to be really emotional but i was laughing a lot at how that was supposed to work; it didn't make me laugh any less when the next morning they woke up and the love meter was maxed out.

Mole-chan
Veteran

#27 Post by Mole-chan »

SakanaTonic wrote:I actually downloaded this game and maybe read the first few screens of it before putting it off for a while after the first battle. I recently picked it back up again and am currently somewhere past the halfway point where the old man (... whose name i forgot 8'}) was explaining the origins of the Black Mist. I'm probably going to take my time with the game but I can definitely tell that a lot of work went into the making of the game and I'm really enjoying it right now! I'll probably leave a more detailed response after I actually finish the game first though, but so far it's really great!
no lie i actually started laughing really hard when cadfael and walter were alone in the room and cadfael suggests they 'make love'. i know it's supposed to be really emotional but i was laughing a lot at how that was supposed to work; it didn't make me laugh any less when the next morning they woke up and the love meter was maxed out.

Thank you! 8D I'm glad you're enjoying it so far~
Yeah, I got a lot of snickers at that line. XD It's really cumbersome, but with how archaic Cadfael's manner of speaking is, I wasn't sure how else to put it. I already used the 'know' wordplay... And it definitely is a "how the hell does that work" kinda thing until Walter throws out his theory.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#28 Post by runeraccoon »

Aaaaaaahhh....!

So glad I downloaded this. I love it. Seriously one of the best VNs out of the bunch I downloaded last time.

I downloaded this because of the BxB (---> had some yaoi cravings) but I didn't realize it in the gameplay at least until the scene where we get to see Cadfael's bare ass... ahem bathing. I didn't even realize the "meter" until the end of the first playthrough. To be honest, I casually love playing RPGs and was totally immersed both in the gameplay and the dialogues. Both of which I thought were more than adequate. Not amazing, but enjoyable.

So when I replayed the second time I still couldn't get Cadfael's trust points to the max (because I accidentally went straight to the Town Square at the first town and didn't load that far). I also got the "cad_love undefined" screen as well, and originally thought it was the cause why I couldn't get the Love ending. Then I got into Preference screen and made me wonder if there would be something more graphic than Cad's naked back scene as I realized there was "Adult" option, and that was when the "I love you" option showed up to me. YAY!

I was always a perfectionist in completing games, so when I found out you could level up for FREE in the gyms, on the first playthrough I maxed out Cad's and Lucille's levels to 50. Of course, that was after first increasing their stats to 500, so it was like 500++ all over the stats, and as a result, the final boss was done in 3 strikes.

On the later playthroughs, there was once I couldn't get to level up Lucille. She's stuck in LV 1 and 50 stats, and when I checked later on, when I finished an enemy with her, her xxx XP to level up turned out to be minus. And the negative number was increasing everytime I trained her XP. I wonder if it was deliberate or a glitch.

On the same playthrough, since I couldn't get Lucille to level up, I also found it harder for Cad to level up in the gyms. It was as if the gym's level was adjusting to the collective levels of them both. If this was deliberate, I think it's pretty nice~ Makes you have to be fair for all team members huh?

It was a bit sad that on the first try I couldn't get Kuruk further than LV 49 though. The message was showing his level "xxxx XP until LV 26". XP

Oh, and also, there were armories I couldn't buy on the highest upgrade in the last town. I wonder if it was because the money wasn't enough, but I hope it wasn't deliberate, since why would you even add them if you make the players cannot buy them?

As for disruptive elements:
1. The "cad_love undefined" message I got after the first ending.
2. When Kuruk casts Guard on himself, the message shows "Gaurd" typo.
3. Does Guard actually do something?
4. Do "Maul" and "Sword Slash" actually do things much like how Lucille got "Water 1" when she went to LV 10?
5. Resurrection spell, both for Cad and Lucille, actually only costs 120.
6. Even after I bought Heal 1 Magic for Kuruk, there was no "Magic" option in his fighting sequence screen.
7. Was Terrwyn sword actually matter to the story?
8. Sometimes I lost "Equipment" option when playing in the gym. The same goes for the meter if I load a game. (Maybe the one you fixed on the later version. I just downloaded the game a couple days ago, though, maybe you should update the files on the first post?)
I may add stuffs when I remembered them. Oh--- and I haven't gotten the Bad Ending, by the way. 7 times is rather... hard for a perfectionist-as-early-as-possible like me. ^^;;

Gameplay:

Nice. Imagine how advanced ren'py RPG you could do with this structure. I'm not a programmer myself so I bow down a thousand times over to this team.

It's a hassle on the Fight screen though, because I need to point my trackpad from "Attack" to the actual monster, jumping quite far and makes me uncomfortable enough. It might be a different case with mouse, but with trackpad, it gets a bit tiring.

And it's not "responsive" either. I'd rather have outlined/shining/desaturated monster showing you actually click on them rather than the red small button. I wish you could incorporate keyboard control into the RPG gameplay as well. Though if you already have, then I must be not paying attention. //slaps self

I really really love the "Move" fighting gameplay on that narrow cliff though~ It would be nice to incorporate them much longer than the plain turn-based fight on the rest of the enemy fights~ Though if you did that, would be nice to actually know where you could move and where you couldn't. (Imagine FF Tactics/Fire Emblem where you could see the square patches. I won't mind if you apply the same logic to the red buttons. Maybe showing the "lamps" as off/gray on the uninhabited patches?)

I love Gym as well. It makes the player able to control the difficulty on their own.

Art:

It grows on you. At first I was a bit turned off. It must be the sexy ass Must be the lipflap and blinks which made it gradually becoming enjoyable as I play it. Lucille is still a bit hard on the eyes, but Walter, then Cad, really grew on me. And Kuruk is already cute from the beginning~ I really enjoy seeing Kuruk's emotions!

If I may give more detailed comments, it's probably the coloring. As of now, the sprites look quite dull. I also don't have anything against blurred backgrounds, but if you can give more detailed/eyegasmic backgrounds, of course I will be more than happy to throw my money on the screen.

What blew me away was the people silhouette. Running, walking... I applaud you for adding them. It was a really nice touch.
And even though the Adult scene was awkward, the art didn't turn me away. Congrats!
Plot & Writing:

Can't say much since I haven't gotten the Bad ending, but I like it so far. Partially because I like playing BxB games. It was quite standard, but I love the execution. It was heartful.

At some points, I feel that it could be more emotional/explored though. I quite agree with reviews above that it could get more personal as well if you use other than third POV, but it doesn't hinder me in finishing it~ Since I have the habit to skim over writings, when I replayed the game I found heartening details all over the scenes, and I love it. Showing, not telling, yeah, people already reviewed that one.

Music & SFXs:
Adequate. I usually don't pay much attention unless the musics are really, really good, and invokes some kind of nostalgic feels OR when I play horror games. Perhaps it is a proof that the music was integrated seamlessly with the game? :D The SFXs are seamless as well~

---

Overall, I'd love to play this kind of game more! <3

Mole-chan
Veteran

#29 Post by Mole-chan »

fuicchi wrote:Aaaaaaahhh....!

So glad I downloaded this. I love it. Seriously one of the best VNs out of the bunch I downloaded last time.

I downloaded this because of the BxB (---> had some yaoi cravings) but I didn't realize it in the gameplay at least until the scene where we get to see Cadfael's bare ass... ahem bathing. I didn't even realize the "meter" until the end of the first playthrough. To be honest, I casually love playing RPGs and was totally immersed both in the gameplay and the dialogues. Both of which I thought were more than adequate. Not amazing, but enjoyable.

So when I replayed the second time I still couldn't get Cadfael's trust points to the max (because I accidentally went straight to the Town Square at the first town and didn't load that far). I also got the "cad_love undefined" screen as well, and originally thought it was the cause why I couldn't get the Love ending. Then I got into Preference screen and made me wonder if there would be something more graphic than Cad's naked back scene as I realized there was "Adult" option, and that was when the "I love you" option showed up to me. YAY!

I was always a perfectionist in completing games, so when I found out you could level up for FREE in the gyms, on the first playthrough I maxed out Cad's and Lucille's levels to 50. Of course, that was after first increasing their stats to 500, so it was like 500++ all over the stats, and as a result, the final boss was done in 3 strikes.

On the later playthroughs, there was once I couldn't get to level up Lucille. She's stuck in LV 1 and 50 stats, and when I checked later on, when I finished an enemy with her, her xxx XP to level up turned out to be minus. And the negative number was increasing everytime I trained her XP. I wonder if it was deliberate or a glitch.

On the same playthrough, since I couldn't get Lucille to level up, I also found it harder for Cad to level up in the gyms. It was as if the gym's level was adjusting to the collective levels of them both. If this was deliberate, I think it's pretty nice~ Makes you have to be fair for all team members huh?

It was a bit sad that on the first try I couldn't get Kuruk further than LV 49 though. The message was showing his level "xxxx XP until LV 26". XP

Oh, and also, there were armories I couldn't buy on the highest upgrade in the last town. I wonder if it was because the money wasn't enough, but I hope it wasn't deliberate, since why would you even add them if you make the players cannot buy them?

As for disruptive elements:
1. The "cad_love undefined" message I got after the first ending.
2. When Kuruk casts Guard on himself, the message shows "Gaurd" typo.
3. Does Guard actually do something?
4. Do "Maul" and "Sword Slash" actually do things much like how Lucille got "Water 1" when she went to LV 10?
5. Resurrection spell, both for Cad and Lucille, actually only costs 120.
6. Even after I bought Heal 1 Magic for Kuruk, there was no "Magic" option in his fighting sequence screen.
7. Was Terrwyn sword actually matter to the story?
8. Sometimes I lost "Equipment" option when playing in the gym. The same goes for the meter if I load a game. (Maybe the one you fixed on the later version. I just downloaded the game a couple days ago, though, maybe you should update the files on the first post?)
I may add stuffs when I remembered them. Oh--- and I haven't gotten the Bad Ending, by the way. 7 times is rather... hard for a perfectionist-as-early-as-possible like me. ^^;;

Gameplay:

Nice. Imagine how advanced ren'py RPG you could do with this structure. I'm not a programmer myself so I bow down a thousand times over to this team.

It's a hassle on the Fight screen though, because I need to point my trackpad from "Attack" to the actual monster, jumping quite far and makes me uncomfortable enough. It might be a different case with mouse, but with trackpad, it gets a bit tiring.

And it's not "responsive" either. I'd rather have outlined/shining/desaturated monster showing you actually click on them rather than the red small button. I wish you could incorporate keyboard control into the RPG gameplay as well. Though if you already have, then I must be not paying attention. //slaps self

I really really love the "Move" fighting gameplay on that narrow cliff though~ It would be nice to incorporate them much longer than the plain turn-based fight on the rest of the enemy fights~ Though if you did that, would be nice to actually know where you could move and where you couldn't. (Imagine FF Tactics/Fire Emblem where you could see the square patches. I won't mind if you apply the same logic to the red buttons. Maybe showing the "lamps" as off/gray on the uninhabited patches?)

I love Gym as well. It makes the player able to control the difficulty on their own.

Art:

It grows on you. At first I was a bit turned off. It must be the sexy ass Must be the lipflap and blinks which made it gradually becoming enjoyable as I play it. Lucille is still a bit hard on the eyes, but Walter, then Cad, really grew on me. And Kuruk is already cute from the beginning~ I really enjoy seeing Kuruk's emotions!

If I may give more detailed comments, it's probably the coloring. As of now, the sprites look quite dull. I also don't have anything against blurred backgrounds, but if you can give more detailed/eyegasmic backgrounds, of course I will be more than happy to throw my money on the screen.

What blew me away was the people silhouette. Running, walking... I applaud you for adding them. It was a really nice touch.
And even though the Adult scene was awkward, the art didn't turn me away. Congrats!
Plot & Writing:

Can't say much since I haven't gotten the Bad ending, but I like it so far. Partially because I like playing BxB games. It was quite standard, but I love the execution. It was heartful.

At some points, I feel that it could be more emotional/explored though. I quite agree with reviews above that it could get more personal as well if you use other than third POV, but it doesn't hinder me in finishing it~ Since I have the habit to skim over writings, when I replayed the game I found heartening details all over the scenes, and I love it. Showing, not telling, yeah, people already reviewed that one.

Music & SFXs:
Adequate. I usually don't pay much attention unless the musics are really, really good, and invokes some kind of nostalgic feels OR when I play horror games. Perhaps it is a proof that the music was integrated seamlessly with the game? :D The SFXs are seamless as well~

---

Overall, I'd love to play this kind of game more! <3
Oh wow! This is quite the review! Thank you for all your input.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though this is the first time hearing that the undertones weren't apparent. XD If anything I think I was rather ham handed with them.
Yes, those scenes help a lot, but there are other ways that are a bit slower.
Finishing a battle with high HP or going to the inn all raise his trust slightly.
XD I hear that a lot, too. I'm glad you enjoyed the gym and found the resulting grinding to be bearable.

It wasn't deliberate, but more likely a cost oversight. I apologize.

The bad end is rather difficult to get, I admit. I may have to rebalance this, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for reporting the bugs. Some of these are obscure and I'm not sure how to fix. But I will respond as best I can.
1. This has been fixed. Please download the latest "script.rpa" patch in this thread, and it will be fixed, along with other minor bugs.

2.Thank you! I admit that one always throws me off. haha.

3.Guard increases defense. It is based on existing methods and should work, but it is tough to tell.
4. They are supposed to replace your default attack with a stronger one, or so I assume that is how it works. So you won't be able to tell visibly, but should be getting better damage.
5. Wow, that's quite a difference! Thank you for reporting that.
6. That's strange. I'm not sure what is causing that, and cannot guarantee a fix. Fortunately, this is very minor as Kuruk was never intended to be much of a magic user. Even when taught, he will always be weaker than the others in this regard.
7. It is a left over from the old store system. Originally, if you tried to sell it, Cadfael would prevent you from doing so due to its sentimental value. It was a small easter egg for the player's amusement. This was not incorporated in the new store, and not for lack of trying.
8. This is intentional. It was incorporated early on and I'm sorry to say I can't remember my justification. But it's not a bug.
The counter bugs I have no idea how to fix. I have not changed the code at all since it's last working state. I will keep trying, but I make no guarantees.
When Lucille could not level up, did you by chance skip her first fight? This is where her levels are calculated. I will move this calculation to the main script to prevent this in the future.

Kuruk not being maxed was a simple code error, this will be fixed immediately.

Gameplay:
A lot of the limitations are built into the engine. So while I really like your outline idea, and would vastly prefer it to what I have, I'm not sure I could implement it.

I'm glad you enjoyed that fight! I would like to see more myself, but they are very difficult to program. I really like your grid idea! I think the engine has that option, but can't remember off the top of my head. I will have to see while I'm doing other bug fixes.

Art:
The art has definitely aged the most poorly during production, so I can agree here. I've never heard anyone call Kuruk cute! XD That's a new one.

The dull colors were a purposeful aesthetic choice, but I understand they could be one that not everyone likes. And the backgrounds weren't intended to be as blurred as they turned out. Time and energy constraints kind of got in the way there... I was planning to redo them, but it never quite happened.

Thank you! It was a really simple touch, programming and art wise, but I'm glad it added that much to the atmosphere. c:

Story:
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Even if it is quite standard. The heart was what was important, and it looks like that came through. >V<

Music:
I'm glad they worked so well! The music was meant to be rather low key, so not noticing it was probably a success.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#30 Post by runeraccoon »

Mole-chan wrote:Oh wow! This is quite the review! Thank you for all your input.
No, thank YOU for the quick response~ And an even bigger THANK YOU for making the game! It was way beyond "quite" enjoyable. <3
Mole-chan wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it, though this is the first time hearing that the undertones weren't apparent. XD If anything I think I was rather ham handed with them.
PSH, yeah, I don't know what went through my mind either. (---> is usually very quick on fangirling over the slightest hints.) Probably because I... wasn't really expecting anything. XD
Mole-chan wrote:Yes, those scenes help a lot, but there are other ways that are a bit slower.
Finishing a battle with high HP or going to the inn all raise his trust slightly.
I see! XD
Hm, so that was why when I skipped fights it became harder to fill the bar. OwO
Mole-chan wrote:Thank you for reporting the bugs. Some of these are obscure and I'm not sure how to fix. But I will respond as best I can.
1. This has been fixed. Please download the latest "script.rpa" patch in this thread, and it will be fixed, along with other minor bugs.

2.Thank you! I admit that one always throws me off. haha.

3.Guard increases defense. It is based on existing methods and should work, but it is tough to tell.
4. They are supposed to replace your default attack with a stronger one, or so I assume that is how it works. So you won't be able to tell visibly, but should be getting better damage.
5. Wow, that's quite a difference! Thank you for reporting that.
6. That's strange. I'm not sure what is causing that, and cannot guarantee a fix. Fortunately, this is very minor as Kuruk was never intended to be much of a magic user. Even when taught, he will always be weaker than the others in this regard.
7. It is a left over from the old store system. Originally, if you tried to sell it, Cadfael would prevent you from doing so due to its sentimental value. It was a small easter egg for the player's amusement. This was not incorporated in the new store, and not for lack of trying.
8. This is intentional. It was incorporated early on and I'm sorry to say I can't remember my justification. But it's not a bug.
1. Yup~ I didn't see it in the first post so it wasn't downloaded, so it might be better if you edit the post and add the additional/fixed scripts there as well for new players like me~
3. Ah~ I see. I couldn't really tell since I maxed out the levels before paying attention to these stuffs, so that was probably the reason why the effect wasn't very apparent to me.
4. If the pixel sprite artist agree, I would love to see this incorporated as well in new "moves" from the controllable characters. Though, to be honest, once I could buy "Storm Blade" magic I didn't use Attack much, tee hee. ;P
6. In this regard, might be better if you eliminate altogether the possibility of Kuruk "learning magic". :D
7. I see. XD Pity that we don't really see Cadfael do that...
8. Ooooh. Hm, it won't matter if it was strategically placed, but I got the glitches more often when training Lucille. I never really got the same glitches when training Cadfael only. It soon became normal once I went out of the Gym and reentered it though, so it wasn't that serious of a glitch.
Also, it may not matter much, but it took quite a while/tad bit longer for the screen to load the part when Kuruk appeared and
warned me before getting to the Mountain Path
. Wasn't really serious, but quite disruptive especially when I replayed the scene using Skip. I wonder why this would occur...
Mole-chan wrote:When Lucille could not level up, did you by chance skip her first fight? This is where her levels are calculated. I will move this calculation to the main script to prevent this in the future.
I see! Well, it must be when at the last attempt to change the ending, I disabled the battles and didn't change it to the next playthroughs...
Mole-chan wrote:Art:
The art has definitely aged the most poorly during production, so I can agree here. I've never heard anyone call Kuruk cute! XD That's a new one.
LMAO it was definitely a subjective opinion brought from how I saw the Bonus Sketches. I love Kuruk there <3
Mole-chan wrote:The dull colors were a purposeful aesthetic choice, but I understand they could be one that not everyone likes.
I see~ Yeah, I thought the colors were dull because some of the backgrounds were bright/saturated? (Say, the grassfield was really saturated green compared to Lucille's "strawberry blonde hair". If the BGs were just at the same level of dullness, it might turn up good~) On the other hand, I rather enjoy the "fleshed" way the artist drew them, it was way more than just a paperdoll/casual flat 2D arts~

---

As for your other responses, I would actually love it if you make new games instead of keep fixing bugs over here~ Not that I say you shouldn't be fixing bugs, but I'll be really looking forward to your next project!