Super Moe Quest [Joke RPG]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Super Moe Quest [Joke RPG]

#1 Post by CheeryMoya »

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
If these screenshots haven't made you run yet, welcome to Super Moe Quest! This game is a joke so please don't take it seriously. We literally made this in under a day.

This game is basically a demonstration of a simplified RPG framework I made. Jake's RPG Battle Engine is much better but it's also more complicated, so for games that don't have that heavy of an RPG element, it might be overkill. I'd like to think even beginner programmers can replace and tweak this code to their own use. The source is open for you to play around with.

What's inside this abomination:
  • Simple RPG Frame
  • Obnoxiously-animated Main Menu
  • Unfitting Music
  • Battle Animations (they're better than the main menu I promise)
  • Partial Voice Acting
Credits: I repeat: this game is a joke.

If you want to use the framework, check this thread for details and the raw code with comments.
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Super Moe Quest [Joke RPG]

#2 Post by merdeamour »

I'm so playing this as soon as uni lets me ((: This looks hilarious!
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#3 Post by lemonscent »

Lol oh that was super cute. I think it would have been better if the results (like the crit, miss, attack success) were randomized, though, but the code seems simple enough, which is definitely a plus. :]
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by CheeryMoya »

merdeamour wrote:I'm so playing this as soon as uni lets me ((: This looks hilarious!
There's no real plot, but at least the sprite expressions are gold >_>
lemonscent wrote:Lol oh that was super cute. I think it would have been better if the results (like the crit, miss, attack success) were randomized, though, but the code seems simple enough, which is definitely a plus. :]
I was considering it, but then that would have taken too much effort for this dumb game, as well as make the code a little more messy than it already is. I'm going to work on taking out the embellishments and clean up the code a bit before putting this in the cookbook board.

Also, made individual OS distributions and changed the DL link to the ge.tt file hosting website. All OS builds are available in that link.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Just played the game and had fun with it! The code is very easy to work with. I remember wanting to figure out how to implement random.choice into making a simple frame myself! (I did a mock-up version in one of my other games that had a pattern, and I literally wrote every single outcome based on player's HP, it was a nightmare but I did it XD) but this code makes that even easier! No more tedious mock-up battle system writing!

When we use it in our games, is it alright to tweak the code to our game's needs? I'm gonna see if I can figure out maybe a way to use imagebuttons with it (if not, this still works!)
Also, I noticed there were A LOT of scripts. Do only the three main scripts (script, screens, options) have the actual frame code, or is it just in script, or is it split into all those other scripts?

EDIT: Nevermind, most of it seems to be in the main script and you already stated we can tweak it. I'm gonna go play around with it ^.^; Thanks for providing this code! It's a good framework and easy to tweak and add on~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Virelai
Regular

#6 Post by Virelai »

asdfghjkl; it's so cute. *A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (okay, enough sparkly eyes)
I'm off to go play this! Yayz!
~Downloading...~

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

Kokoro Hane wrote:Just played the game and had fun with it! The code is very easy to work with. I remember wanting to figure out how to implement random.choice into making a simple frame myself! (I did a mock-up version in one of my other games that had a pattern, and I literally wrote every single outcome based on player's HP, it was a nightmare but I did it XD) but this code makes that even easier! No more tedious mock-up battle system writing!
random.choice is actually one of the easiest codes I've seen. All you do is add another variable to the string and it's done.
Kokoro Hane wrote:When we use it in our games, is it alright to tweak the code to our game's needs? I'm gonna see if I can figure out maybe a way to use imagebuttons with it (if not, this still works!)
Also, I noticed there were A LOT of scripts. Do only the three main scripts (script, screens, options) have the actual frame code, or is it just in script, or is it split into all those other scripts?

EDIT: Nevermind, most of it seems to be in the main script and you already stated we can tweak it. I'm gonna go play around with it ^.^; Thanks for providing this code! It's a good framework and easy to tweak and add on~
The framework is now under a CC BY 3.0 license so you can basically do whatever you want with it, as long as you link back to me somewhere. Visit this thread for the clean framework and more details.
Virelai wrote:asdfghjkl; it's so cute. *A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (okay, enough sparkly eyes)
I'm off to go play this! Yayz!
~Downloading...~
There's actually not much content worth "playing" for, but the ATL codes inside might interest you.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#8 Post by Greeny »

Haha, this was great. I can't wait for the sequel!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Minari Cipher
Regular
Projects: Seasons of Love, The Dare to Gamble, Halloween Otome (Beta Tester)

#9 Post by Minari Cipher »

XD I have fun playing with this game.
Seasons of Love (Little Helpers)
The Dare to Gamble (Writer)

dorne
Regular

#10 Post by dorne »

I really like the graphics and expressions on this. I think its simplicity is really cute, and the execution on the eyes remind me alot of Persona games. Sometimes Moe Cyclops prepares too much, maybe 5/6 times in a row but maybe I am just unlucky.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

Milk Macchiato
Projects: Bijou, Monochrome Circus
Organization: Little Star Productions, Graffiti Dream Gamers

#11 Post by Milk Macchiato »

This made me laugh so much by the time i saw the screen shots i knew i was going to enjoy this
Sit down and take a sip of coffee ☕

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#12 Post by unknown5 »

looks cool. downloading. =)
information wants to be free, yo.

DemonWing90
IRC Nick: DemonWing90

#13 Post by DemonWing90 »

there is no download any more?? and it looked so cool. im sad i wanted to play this

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#14 Post by plaster »

We're too late. Super Moe Quest is but a distant dream now. V_V

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#15 Post by Mink »

Oops, this is late, but I'm assuming this will work, if you want to play it although IDK why >_>;.
Attachments
Super Moe Quest-1.0-all.zip
(24.85 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*