[WIP] Sword vs. Staff [fantasy][short][fun]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

Re: [WIP] Sword vs. Staff

#46 Post by Chrizine »

Here's my new textbox version:
Textbox Idea
Textbox Idea
What do you think of the idea in principle? I know that as it is, the blue frame around her might be a bit big, so maybe I will toy a bit with the sizes, but I'd like to hear some opinions first!
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Veniae
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Sword vs. Staff [fantasy][short][fun]

#47 Post by Veniae »

I think the whole textbox looks a bit too big. Though with that gorgeous side image, it would be a pity to reduce the size. But as it is, it makes the whole window appear a bit cramped and smaller than usual. Might just be me. Also, since it's a magical story about a princess, I would imagine the whole GUI as matching the theme, with bright colours, rich textures and probably glitter. With the current colour scheme, it gives off more of a melancholy vibe.

In other news, how is the project coming along? I think the idea is good and I'm looking forward to more!

Chrizine
Regular

#48 Post by Chrizine »

Hello everyone and sorry for not replying in so long... Real life kinda got in the way. But I'm back now ;)
Veniae wrote:I think the whole textbox looks a bit too big. Though with that gorgeous side image, it would be a pity to reduce the size. But as it is, it makes the whole window appear a bit cramped and smaller than usual. Might just be me. Also, since it's a magical story about a princess, I would imagine the whole GUI as matching the theme, with bright colours, rich textures and probably glitter. With the current colour scheme, it gives off more of a melancholy vibe.

In other news, how is the project coming along? I think the idea is good and I'm looking forward to more!
Yeah, I don't like the idea of reducing the size of the side image either... Do you think the versions with the side image just sticking out over the textbox worked better?

The main reason why the gui isn't more fancy is my inability to draw and/or design it better. For most of the gui I just use one of renpy's standard themes (though I changed the colors). The textbox therefore needs to fit that.
I didn't use brighter colors because I didn't want the textbox to be overly distracting. I like the sprites so much that I don't want to steal any attention from them :D Also, my main concern for the color scheme was that everything ought to be readible without straining the eyes too much. Do you think other colors would work better? Do you have ideas on which to use? I'd like to hear your opinion on it!

All in all, the project is close to being finished I guess. h3llomiko is working on probably very awesome cgs and I need to look over some details, work out the credits and decide for a textbox.
So, sooner or later, we will both be done and Sword vs. Staff will be released :)

Thanks for your interest in it!
Honest Critique

Veniae
Veteran

#49 Post by Veniae »

Chrizine wrote:Do you think the versions with the side image just sticking out over the textbox worked better?
I think so, yeah.
Chrizine wrote:Do you think other colors would work better? Do you have ideas on which to use? I'd like to hear your opinion on it!
Well, yellows/oranges/reds are more cheerful colours. So maybe think along these lines? For example, a pale yellow BG of the text-box with say, red text? You might want to browse for palettes on COLOURlovers, there are some pretty ones. There are also some nice tutorials for text-boxes, menus and so on here on LSF, I suppose you've seen them?

In other news, I'm glad that you're nearing completion! Looking forward to the finished game! ^^

Chrizine
Regular

#50 Post by Chrizine »

Veniae wrote:
Chrizine wrote:Do you think the versions with the side image just sticking out over the textbox worked better?
I think so, yeah.
Thanks for your opinion on this! I tend to just stick to that one right now, unless some other good idea comes to my mind ;)
Veniae wrote: Well, yellows/oranges/reds are more cheerful colours. So maybe think along these lines? For example, a pale yellow BG of the text-box with say, red text? You might want to browse for palettes on COLOURlovers, there are some pretty ones. There are also some nice tutorials for text-boxes, menus and so on here on LSF, I suppose you've seen them?

In other news, I'm glad that you're nearing completion! Looking forward to the finished game! ^^
I think I don't want to try totally different colors, because I want the GUI to fit the sprites a bit and I'm afraid it will get too distracting or unreadable if it's too colorful. But I will definitely keep that site in mind for future uses, it looks interesting!

I have seen tutorials on how to implement that stuff here, but I haven't seen any about how to actually design them, which is my major problem. The implementing usually works after some time of trying and reading, but I don't really know how to work on designing stuff like this. If you know of any tutorials concerning this aspect of creating GUI I would be very thankful for links!

I'm happy to say I got my CG gallery to fully work today, so another thing on the path to completion is cleared away :) Thanks for your continued interest!
Honest Critique

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#51 Post by Anne »

There are threads on GUI in the Art section - like this or this (there're some ideas on designing though it pretty much sums up to think what you'd like to have and draw it)
There are some premade textboxes as well but not many (can't give advice here as I don't really know what you want...).

Chrizine
Regular

#52 Post by Chrizine »

Anne wrote:There are threads on GUI in the Art section - like this or this (there're some ideas on designing though it pretty much sums up to think what you'd like to have and draw it)
There are some premade textboxes as well but not many (can't give advice here as I don't really know what you want...).
Thanks for the links. I find those threads very interesting, but as you said, it's not really a tutorial. My problem is that I neither have a precise idea of what I want nor drawing skills, so it's really difficult :D
I'd like a tutorial that gives you a bit of a step-by-step list of what to consider, what to decide on when and the traps you might not want to fall into... But I guess I'm just asking for too much :D
The resources list in one of the threads is interesting though, maybe it is a starting point to look for nice things there and toy with them... I don't think I will try to pull of a totally new GUI for Sword vs. Staff at this point, but I can start learning for my next projects :)

I have seen quite a few free to use textboxes in the creative commons forum, but most of the time they are far too fancy to go with the rest of my GUI and/or don't fit in theme at all. I'm always keeping my eyes out for it, though. Might be I get lucky and see something that's usable for me.
Honest Critique

Chrizine
Regular

#53 Post by Chrizine »

I'm actually still alive, and so is this project, I just had a lot of RL problems in the way lately. But I am determined to finish it sooner or later! I know this is not much of an update, but I'm mostly posting this to motivate myself to actually work on it for a bit to get something to tell in the next post.
Honest Critique

Suika
Regular

#54 Post by Suika »

Wow. Still making progress on a 3 year journey. You've just given me a +50 boost to motivation. :twisted:

Anyways, I'm glad you aren't this project isn't dead. It looks fun, and I'm excited to see how it turns out c:
I know this is the ideas section, but how much progress has been made / what still needs to be done?