SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!STATUS UPDATE!!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Re: SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!PLAYABLE TEASER

#31 Post by Omnificent »

I do believe that this is the first time I've read an OELVN that's pure, glorious, shamelessly self-aware parody (RE: Prince of Nigeria is definite parody, for instance, but the protagonist isn't in on it).

If this game does take a nosedive into dark serious turf I'm not sure how seriously I'll be able to take it unless the shift's written very well, but if it keeps going in the same vein as in the demo I'll be happy. Good work so far!
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Giovedi
Regular

#32 Post by Giovedi »

Oh man, Prince of Nigeria was one of my inspirations for this-- I still replay it now and then.

Oh, trust me. There will be no dark, serious nosedive-- though I can't guarantee there won't be any shameless fakeouts. Aheheh. If I were capable of writing anything remotely serious, I'd be holed up in a corner feverishly attempting the next Rebuild of Evangelion.

Thanks for your interest! I might as well admit right now that the Fakeout Opening Sequence is an unapologetic rip off from a certain popular Japanese webcomic...

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by CheeryMoya »

Giovedi wrote:Is there any way to make a textbox fade out? The sudden transitions are so jarring.
Under all your other transitions, put this in:

Code: Select all

config.adv_nvl_transition = dissolve
    config.nvl_adv_transition = dissolve
I have no clue why that isn't default, but now you can switch between the two modes with a dissolving transition.

I thought the presentation of the game so far was really great, everything was coordinated well. The only thing I was confused about was why you didn't use any of the sprites when they were in the game folders. Keep up the nice work!

Giovedi
Regular

#34 Post by Giovedi »

The choreography wasn't working out for me, so I decided to save the struggle for later and carry on with implementing the rest of Act 0. I'll head back for fancy cutscene work later.

Anyway, thanks for the tip! I 'ppreciate it.

Giovedi
Regular

Re: SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!BONUS EXAMPLE UP

#35 Post by Giovedi »

Sample of bonus room material up! That rough CG of Flonnan was scrapped when her initial design was scrapped. Her hair looked too much like Rosemary's back then.

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#36 Post by unknown5 »

this looks like a lot of fun. nice sprites!
information wants to be free, yo.

Aceline

#37 Post by Aceline »

Oh goodness. This sounds amazing. And I love the art style so much you've no idea.

Giovedi
Regular

#38 Post by Giovedi »

Ahaha, thanks guys!

Dang, Aceline, you showed up just after I took down the teaser. Another one'll be out at summer's end, so look forward to that I guess! :'D

Thanks for your support re: the art style, too -- I'm a little self-conscious about its simplicity.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!STATUS UPDATE!!

#39 Post by noeinan »

Just came across this and it looks awesome! You have no need to be self-conscious about the style-- it's very clean, colors well-balanced, and just in general super eye catching. I love it!

Looking forward to this when it is done. ^^

Veniae
Veteran

#40 Post by Veniae »

Wow.

I mean, wow. How come I hadn't seen this sooner?

I'm not gonna reiterate what almost everyone before me has already said about how gorgeous the art is and how fun the story sounds (thought it's true). I'll just add that I love the way the OP's written - it made me laugh out loud. If the narrative in the game is similar, consider me a fan!

Giovedi
Regular

#41 Post by Giovedi »

Hey, thanks for your support! I'm glad you like it. Development's been slow lately thanks to work, but I'm still truckin'.

BlueJayGames
Organization: Blue Jay Games

#42 Post by BlueJayGames »

The art for this is GREAT! I love it so much. The premise also sounds very fun and filled with humor. Good luck! Will be keeping my eye on this. :)

Giovedi
Regular

#43 Post by Giovedi »

Nothing like becoming a therapist to put you on hiatus. School is tough, but I'm alive again! No new art to report, but the writing is going fine.

just checking in, I guess!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#44 Post by Googaboga »

Nice to hear things are still moving along C:
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by gekiganwing »

Giovedi wrote:Nothing like becoming a therapist to put you on hiatus. School is tough, but I'm alive again! No new art to report, but the writing is going fine.
Thanks for updating. If you need help, be sure to ask. Recruit help here on Lemma Soft, r/vndevs, and anywhere else that's relevant.

Also, looking at page one for the first time in a while, I was reminded of your cartoonesque art style. I'm not sure how much it fits your theme, but it's distinct, and it might be a good choice.