How can I sing with man's voice? [SOLVED]

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Armee
Veteran

How can I sing with man's voice? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Armee »

I think it's obivious, I want to record a song by myself but my voice is too freaking girly. I'm trying to make my voice deeper at the same times I'm trying to make it higher, any suggestion?
Last edited by Armee on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

redcat
Regular

Re: How can I sing with man's voice?

#2 Post by redcat »

You can try to lower your pitch using audio editor like Audacity.
Meowwngg...??

TerracottaPie
Regular
Organization: Hikage Studios, Leveretta dev.

#3 Post by TerracottaPie »

I'm not a trained singer nor do I teach others to sing.

Have you been singing for long? Have you recieved any formal training in singing?

Furthermore be a little more in-depth. When you say 'I'm trying to make my voice deeper at the same times I'm trying to make it higher' do you mean you're trying to widen your vocal range? Or are you saying you're trying to strengthen your voice so that it SOUNDS deeper even though the note being sung doesn't change? In the case of the former you'll widen your range with practice. In the case of the latter you're probably looking to work on vocal projection and using your 'chest voice' rather than your 'head voice'.

Giving an example recording might allow people to better analyse what the problem is.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#4 Post by arachni42 »

Armee wrote:I think it's obivious, I want to record a song by myself but my voice is too freaking girly. I'm trying to make my voice deeper at the same times I'm trying to make it higher, any suggestion?
Yeah, it would be super helpful to give us a sample of your voice, and maybe some examples of what you're going for? What do you mean by deeper and by higher?
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

Hi! How people sound like women and men is actually one of my academic specialties. But it is a really, really huge topic. The way we understand a voice as male or female involves sooooo many small details and pitch is not the most important one (though we often think so).

So yeah, you could sing something and then lower the pitch with audio software...which will be a start, but if won't be everything you need to do.

Most important thing you can play with is timbre. We interpret dark timbres as masculine and light timbres as feminine. So if you want to sound more masculine, you'll want to darken your timbre. This means singing deep in your chest rather than in your head. That is the most important thing. Then there are small details like not using a lot of ornamentation when singing masculinely, tending to end your phrases with downward drops rather than upward rises, not singing too legato, not singing with too much range. Under no circumstances being breathy (that reads feminine). In some ways not singing too expertly as singing itself is not considered all that masculine. It is...it is a really big topic...and the gender cues in the voice are based on social construction...so you have to pay attention to the gender construction of your nation, class, race, age, etc.

Anyhow, it takes a lot of practice to sound like a woman or sound like a man. It takes us a few years to learn how to sound like the gender the world sees us as...it takes a while to learn sound like a different one. And if I remember from the introduction thread, you are quite young? 12, right? Which means your voice is still developing...which means it will be really difficult for you to sound like an adult male. If it is only for one song, it might just be easier for you to get one of your male classmates to sing the song--though to be honest, it will be hard for 12 year old boys to sound like adult males if they haven't gone through puberty.

If sounding male is something you want to do more seriously, then I'd recommend looking up passing guides for FtM transgender guys,

like for example: http://www.t-vox.org/index.php?title=FT ... tips#Voice

I'd also recommend listening to men who sing in your general vocal range and listen to their timbre and technique.

You can also listen to male impersonators and listen to what they do with their voices...like Ella Shields from the 1930s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN1JxKPYrJY

Anyway, if you are wanting to pass as male full time because you are FtM, PM me and I can give you advice. People who are MtF and want to pass as female full time, I can also give advice to...but that isn't your situation. If you are just wanting to do it for a song...it would be a LOT of work for fleeting results.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Armee
Veteran

#6 Post by Armee »

I hadn't have time to catch up with this thread for awhile. I don't have my laptop at the moment but I'm in the middle of recording "Spice" by Len Kagamine, I want to sing " Out of Eden " by the same artist but I don't think my voice is suitable enough to sing the song. By deeper, I mean lower voice, like man voice, higher mean, I want to sing higher notes. My voice type is mezzo-soprano.
Yes, I don't think that I'll able to sing aldult male voice just yet. And the singer, well, is about fourteen so I don't think it'll be hard to sing if I know how to sing. Sadly, no, I'm not a transgender, but I want to sing and voiceacting as a male in the future so it's the best for to start right now. Anyhow, thanks for all your useful tips, I'll trying to up an example as soon as I can.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#7 Post by LeetMusic »

If you use a vocal editing program like Autotune / Melodyne, there is a "forment" tool which adjusts the timbre of your voice without changing the pitch of the notes. If you turn the knob all the way to the right then it will sound young and sort of Keebler Elf-like. If you turn the knob all the way to the left it will sound deep and bellowy.

cutejiana

#8 Post by cutejiana »

Why you want to sing in man's voice?

Armee
Veteran

#9 Post by Armee »

Armee wrote:I'm in the middle of recording "Spice" by Len Kagamine, I want to sing " Out of Eden " by the same artist but I don't think my voice is suitable enough to sing the song.
Is that clear for you ^^?

やまと
Regular

#10 Post by やまと »

Male Soprano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOoTuhboF7Y

He is a man.
If your voice can be similar to his, then you are awesome.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#11 Post by arachni42 »

Are you male or female, and at what age?
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Armee
Veteran

#12 Post by Armee »

Female, around 12-13. But I think I will problaly ask a friend of mine to record this song for me since I just found out that he got a fine voice.