troubleshooting a PYTHONHOME error message

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ApsaraAdairia

troubleshooting a PYTHONHOME error message

#1 Post by ApsaraAdairia »

Hello...

i'm running Ubuntu 13.04 and i appear to have python3.3, python3, AND python2.7 (suspecting this might be part of the problem, but since i'm currently unfamiliar with python, i don't really know for sure)

Even though i select "Allow executing file as program" in the .sh file's Properties>Permissions... however, i don't get the option to do so....

Lauching through the terminal returns the following message, but renpy still lauches- dunno if it works though because i'm stuck on this bit (also... i can't close the terminal without closing RenPy as well):

Code: Select all

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
So my two questions...
How can i solve this issue? i've been browsing forums and similar issues for a few hours now with little success...

And... Shouldn't i be able to run RenPy without having the terminal remain open?

i can run it through WINE, but it's a quiry experience and i'd rather run the linux version anyway...

i hope that's enough info...
Thanks for any help.

pwisaguacate
Veteran

Re: troubleshooting a PYTHONHOME error message

#2 Post by pwisaguacate »

Check to see if you are missing the python-tk package.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, this only affects being able to set the project directory.
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sslaxx
Regular
Deviantart: sslaxx
Github: Sslaxx
Discord: Sslaxx#0159

#3 Post by Sslaxx »

Here's what I did. Understand Ren'Py comes with a minimal distribution of Python with it, it doesn't require any pre-installed version. The error/warning messages are pretty harmless.

I don't run Ren'Py's scripts directly.

I installed Ren'Py to a different directory - in this case, /opt/Devel/RenPy. In the directory /usr/local/bin I created a shell script like so:

cd /opt/Devel/Renpy/
./renpy.sh $*
I set the shell script to executable and then run that. No terminal is needed to be open.

ApsaraAdairia

#4 Post by ApsaraAdairia »

Thank you both for replying so quickly.
pwisaguacate wrote:Check to see if you are missing the python-tk package.
i have it
Sslaxx wrote:Here's what I did. Understand Ren'Py comes with a minimal distribution of Python with it, it doesn't require any pre-installed version. The error/warning messages are pretty harmless.

I don't run Ren'Py's scripts directly.

I installed Ren'Py to a different directory - in this case, /opt/Devel/RenPy. In the directory /usr/local/bin I created a shell script like so:

cd /opt/Devel/Renpy/
./renpy.sh $*
I set the shell script to executable and then run that. No terminal is needed to be open.
this didn't work... for whatever reason, i'm not getting the option to run the script in that way... despite having the correct permissions applied...

is there anything else i can try?
i was able to get an older version installed through Ubuntu Software Center... so if i can find a way to update that, it might work... hmm...