CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. [VN x Bosch Art Game]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
WeAreMuesli
Completed: CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. (episode 0)

CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. [VN x Bosch Art Game]

#1 Post by WeAreMuesli »

CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. is our very first visual novel made with Ren'Py for Bosch Art Game international competition 2013.
It is inspired by the works of Dutch painter Jheronimus Bosch and basically tells a mystery story about a 17-years old nerdy visitor of National Museum of Lisbon, Portugal where one of Bosch's most complex and fascinating artworks, the Triptych of The Temptation of Saint Anthony, is located.

We may say that some more random things CAVE! CAVE! is about are hermitage, Star Wars, inkblots, punk rock and, obviously, making choices.

CAVE! CAVE! features music by Monroeville Music Center, whose beautiful lo-fi retro-futuristic tracks you have to check right here: http://monroevillemusiccenter.bandcamp.com/

This "Episode 0" has been selected as 1 of the 6 finalist prototypes of Bosch Art Game competition, and it will be featured next October in 's-Hertogenbosch, Holland, at the final exhibition/event of the contest.

This is our first visual novel made with Ren'Py and actually the very first game we've ever made (we are creative professionals in different fields, ranging from graphic design to TV writing), so ALL YOUR FEEDBACK ARE BELONG TO US ;) We mean, we really need comments, suggestions, critique, questions, bug report or whatever from you people of this community we owe so much.

So without further ado, here is the link to CAVE! CAVE! page on Ren'Py Games List:
http://games.renpy.org/game/cavecave.shtml
Here is the page with further details on our official website:
http://cargocollective.com/wearemuesli

And here are the direct links to:
- Mac version: dropbox http://goo.gl/KYY9R mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/?65bief6v71cpj64
- PC version: dropbox http://goo.gl/CeuOv mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/?56qsf42zt1167ma
(.zip file is about 170 mb)

Thank you so much in advance to all of you.
WAM_

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Re: CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. [VN x Bosch Art Game]

#2 Post by ririruetoo »

It looks very interesting, honestly considering the medium I'm shocked there aren't many art-games in the VN community. Can't wait to play!
ImageImageImage

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#3 Post by fantasygeeki »

It's visually appealing, so I'm looking forward to reading it as soon as I can.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

WeAreMuesli wrote: This is our first visual novel made with Ren'Py and actually the very first game we've ever made (we are creative professionals in different fields, ranging from graphic design to TV writing)...
Thank you for being willing to post here. I browse Indie Games Festival every now and then to see what sort of creative video games people are making and releasing. A handful of the entries there are experimental visual novels that don't fit into any category. Some of them get buried in freeware archives, while others get noticed on forums and attract a few fans. But I don't think anyone who's personally involved with independent groups such as Bento Smile or TerrorBull Games has posted here...

So yeah, even though I like cute happy romance games, I am also interested in seeing the English-speaking visual novel community grow, and produce content in varied styles and formats.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

Being a fan of Bosch's paintings, I was surprised to find this release. Playing now.

As a side note to gekiganwing's comment: terrorBull Games (or someone using their name) posted in this forum before: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =11&t=9456
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

WeAreMuesli

#6 Post by WeAreMuesli »

gekiganwing wrote:Thank you for being willing to post here. I browse Indie Games Festival every now and then to see what sort of creative video games people are making and releasing. A handful of the entries there are experimental visual novels that don't fit into any category. Some of them get buried in freeware archives, while others get noticed on forums and attract a few fans. But I don't think anyone who's personally involved with independent groups such as Bento Smile or TerrorBull Games has posted here...

So yeah, even though I like cute happy romance games, I am also interested in seeing the English-speaking visual novel community grow, and produce content in varied styles and formats.
Maybe it's just a matter of naiveté but - regardless of diverse backgrounds and genres - we sincerely wanted this community to be the very first place where having a discussion about our project (on the "indie side", we're going to create a page about it on Game Jolt too).
As renpytom tweeted, we approached Ren'Py as an "enabling technology" that has allowed us "outsiders" to tell the story we had in mind in a way we found effective, so who can give us clever insights in terms of gameplay, graphic and narrative other than you true VN makers and fans?
So hope you will enjoy it, see you around here!

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#7 Post by Blane Doyle »

I haven't exactly been online much in the last month for personal reasons. So for me to turn on a laptop, come back, and see, of all things, something like this? Something that I can't bring a comparison to from the English visual novel community without realizing that they don't seem to properly fit even at just a first glance?

It makes me very, VERY happy that I chose to come back when I have. Your attitude toward Ren'Py just makes me even happier.

I've only played a few minutes of this game so far, but I know that this is going to be something I have to complete in one full sitting at the next possible chance. I don't now where this may go, I don't know what my final thoughts on the game may be... but I do know that the first impression I have gotten from it is very good.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#8 Post by merdeamour »

You had me at Star Wars, punk rock, and ink blots. I'm playing this game as soon as uni lets me T_T Anyway, this IS visually appealing, and, also, congrats on this release! :D
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#9 Post by Donmai »

Just played it. Marvelous work! (I'm still looking for my jaw; I think it dropped somewhere...)
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#10 Post by Akitsuki »

I've played it! Maybe I'm not used to serious stuff, but I love the concept!
Where in the end, Hoodie kind of helped Bosch made the painting. It made me understand what Bosch's painting is actually about :D
So far I like the game! Good luck with the competition anyway ^^)b

WeAreMuesli

#11 Post by WeAreMuesli »

Akitsuki wrote:I've played it! Maybe I'm not used to serious stuff, but I love the concept!
Where in the end, Hoodie kind of helped Bosch made the painting. It made me understand what Bosch's painting is actually about :D
That is basically our original idea, to make a sort of "Choose You Own Meaning" of Bosch's work VN (just like those good old Choose Your Own Adventure books).
But, as Hoodie would say, "maybe" that was not the only possible meaning of Bosch's painting ;)
Some other are actually present or just hinted in Episode 0, and more can come.
By the way thanks so much to all of you for the comments and keep them coming!
(PS: for those on Twitter, also beware the very end of the game.. #CAVECAVEDEUSVIDET)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

I only have one thing to say about all of this...

Play it. PLAY IT NOW. JUST. DO. IT.

I have been sitting down and trying to write critical feedback for this but... but I can't! It broke me, I am physically unable to properly form any thought besides "people need to play this as soon as possible".

I've tried and tries but darn it, this game is unfeedbackable for me. You guys have to play this for yourselves to see why.

As for you creators- you did an EXCEPTIONAL job and I sincerely hope we see more of you.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#13 Post by KittyKatStar »

I pretty much echo Blane here. I downloaded/played it the day you posted, and then played it again hoping I'd understand more.

I'm not an art student, but I really enjoyed the writing, pacing, and I think everyone gets something out of it. Some of those endings... @_@ But yea, it was a wonderful VN so thank you so much for sharing with us.

(I didn't post because I really have nothing to say... just... Try it out if you haven't. ^^ )

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#14 Post by lemonscent »

In case you didn't know, your VN was mentioned on VNsnow. I haven't actually played this VN yet, but I'm downloading it right now! XD
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

WeAreMuesli

#15 Post by WeAreMuesli »

Hello folks and sorry for the lack of replying to the latest comments, we've been dealing with some personal bad news these days but we want to warmly thank you all for the nice words and support.
Tomorrow we're leaving for the Netherlands where we will officially present CAVE! CAVE! to the Bosch Art Game organization, we won't know anything about the competition's results until next October but we'll do our best nevertheless to also help spreading the word about the whole beautiful medium of Visual Novels.
Keep on commenting if you will, we'll be back here soon. Thanx again!