Foreign Languages

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Foreign Languages

#46 Post by Donmai »

Aines445 wrote:And also, if a brazillian talks too fast it might be hard to understand
As a brazilian, I always have the impression that portuguese people talk too fast, and that they don't like vowels. :lol: But I know you are right. The vocabulary and the use of verbal Conjugation may be very different.

Well, I'm a wannabe polyglot, and I believe I will be for the rest of my life :( . I started studying my older brothers English school books as soon as I started to read (blame it on the Beatles! :) ). My English is only good enough to be (nearly) understood when I write.
As a native speaker of a language derived from Latin (Brazilian portuguese), I have no difficulties understanding the others (Spanish, French, Italian, Romanian, Catalan... the list is huge). Of course I wouldn't dare to rate my understanding levels :lol: .
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#47 Post by lemonscent »

I can't believe some people on here know like 10 languages OTL.

Korean - 4/5 (I'm 5/5 when it comes to casual language, but when it comes to professional terms&vocab and words under Chinese influence, I am so screwed)

English - 4/5 (I do occasionally get confused about grammar, but somehow I'm still a lot better at English than most of my (American) Honors English classmates... welp, I have no idea how that happened)

Spanish - 1/5 (I finished Spanish 1, 2, and 3 with straight A's. But somehow the only thing I can actually say is 'hola como estas'....)

French - 1/5 (Took private lessons, ragequit. Taking French 1 next year to clear language requirements for graduation, because there's no way I'm going to pass Spanish 4)
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

Nicasio4
Organization: A4Creations

#48 Post by Nicasio4 »

Destiny wrote:Well, I was on Youtube again and found a interesting channel (called AlexandJim) where two guys compare Germany and USA.
And they had the topic about foreign languages where it became obvious that germans learn at least two foreign languages while Americans MAYBE learn one (seemingly mainly spanish).

So I would love to know:
What languages do you speak (or had learned once at least)? And where do you live (just to compare) :3

I for myself live in Germany.
So my main language is german. But my early childhood (till I aged 6) was in Belgium, so I learned dutch as a child, too.
I started learning english in my 5th grade (and I know, they start now with between 3rd grade or even kindergarden), I learned french in 7th grade, spanish in 11th grade and I started to learn japanese when I began university.
Makes a total of 5 languages (even though I'm no longer able to even understand french and spanish since they never really caught my interest :'D) learned up till now (and I'm only 23 yet).
If time and possibilities allow it then I would love to learn french again. I also find Zulu a very interesting language (hint: it's the language the lion king opening is sung in xD)

Skill level:
german: 5/5
dutch 3/4 (hearing is perfect, reading 4/5, speaking 3-4/5 and writing...kinda hopeless xD)
English 3-4/5 (I understand it perfectly and about 90% of my freetime consists of listening, reading or speaking english [Thank you, internet. Thank you, exchange students :D], so I guess, I'm quite good for a non-native speaker)
french 0-1/5
spanish 0-1/5 (Me no hablo espanol :'D)
japanese 1-3/5 (reading/hearing is 3, the rest is 1)

you are well known about the many different languages and improved your skills by the increase of your age..

Well done..

Kami
Regular
Deviantart: sevowen
Github: KamiShepard

#49 Post by Kami »

I am good with languages!
Russian 5/5
Lithuanian 5/5
English 4.5/5
Java 5/5
C 3/5
C++ 4/5
XHTML 5/5
CSS 5/5
PHP 4/5
SQL 4/5
Python 4/5
JavaScript 3/5 (I have hate - hate relatinship with this language)

RavenBelmont
Regular

#50 Post by RavenBelmont »

Hi, I'm new here and I decided it would be nice to just share something here and let myself be known a little. ^^

Spanish: 5/5 (Native language, so I can read and write anything in Spanish)
English: 4.5/5 (I went to an English/Spanish school when I was a kid, so we had English lessons everyday. I can say I understand anything I read, but when writing I might have to check in the dictionary for a word or two. I can make all sorts of translations from Spanish to English and viceversa)
Japanese: 0.5/5 (I studied Japanese for a year but I don't remember a thing... I know the basics only)

Also, since I'm a programmer, I might add these languages, even though one doesn't 'speak' them: C++,C#,Visual Basic, Java, SQL.

That's pretty much it.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#51 Post by SHiNKiROU »

Mandarin Chinese: 5/5 (native language. A few people notice that I never use proverbs.)
Cantonese, Sichuanese: 2/5 (Exposed to them for 5 years total but never learned them, lack of adaption blamed on genetics)
English: 5/5 (imperfect at advanced writing. I hate English because you need to pay attention to details at speaking (more vowels and consonant endings) and grammar (ever seen a grammar nazi in other language?). I also hate English literature)
Japanese: 3/5 (3 years in school, mainly focused on reading. Kanji and katakana makes it easier)
Korean: 0.25/5 (understands the writing system and barely basic grammar)
Indonesian: 0.5/5 (a little self-studying)
Lojban: 1.25/5 (knows grammar and where to look stuff up)

After I mastered Japanese, my next languages will be Korean, Indonesian and Russian.

See also: http://gifstumblr.com/cool/average-numb ... untries-21
An average Chinese speaks 1.9 languages, Japanese 1.2, American 0.7

Kensela
Regular

#52 Post by Kensela »

Spanish 4/5 (native language but I've not been practicing)

English 5/5 (most comfortable speaking although my grammar is terrible)

Turkish 3/5 (took Turkish for 4 years but slowly forgetting it since I never use it)

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#53 Post by megatuga »

Donmai wrote:
Aines445 wrote:And also, if a brazillian talks too fast it might be hard to understand
As a brazilian, I always have the impression that portuguese people talk too fast, and that they don't like vowels. :lol: But I know you are right. The vocabulary and the use of verbal Conjugation may be very different.
Oh no, we Portuguese do love our vowels. They are good to eat. NOM.

Anyway. I am Portuguese from Portugal as should be obvious by my nickname in case you ever wondered what the "Tuga" stands for. But I only know English. I had enough French at school to have a basic conversation but man is it hard :( So I eventually forgot everything.

English: 4/5

I took one point out mainly because while I am comfortable with English I do not think of myself as having mastered it. For example when writing I really have to double or triple-check and use an automatic corrector to find any typos. Not to mention that I do not have much training in terms of speaking.

miwa

#54 Post by miwa »

I'm from Brazil so that means I know Portuguese fluently.
I've been learning English since I was a kid, but even though I lived in the US for 1 year I still have strong accent =_=
I started learning Japanese around 2 years ago, but I'm still a lower-intermediate.
And that's all...except that I can understand Spanish pretty well, of course..

deviltales
Regular

#55 Post by deviltales »

Romanian: 5/5, since I live there.
Hungarian: 3.5/5. I can speak well, I'm ok with reading, not that good with writing.
English:4.9/5. This is year 13 in learning English, if I count kinder garden as well. Sometimes I make the simplest mistakes, but this is mainly because of my laziness or/and lack of attention. I can speak, read, write, listen.
Spanish: 3/5 watched a lot of soap operas with my grandma, I think I could handle myself.
German:1.5/5. The basics, and the fact that I can count up to 1000.
Japanese:1/5. ONLY the basics.

I would love to learn properly German and Spanish, but so little time......
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

AquaEG
Regular
Projects: Fateful Encounters
Organization: At the moment, niches are not my forte.

#56 Post by AquaEG »

Wahh :lol: So much languages!

I've noticed a lot of Eu and Asian languages in majority. xD I feel kind of awkward now.
I'm actually from India, but moved out a few years ago, so English would have to top my list.

English: 5/5 (More than half a decade of practice and novels ;) )
Spanish: 3.5/5 (4 years in high-school, supposed to be 5, but I finished in 4 years. xD Just did my final exams last month! I can read, write and strike up a convo in Spanish just fine, but I can't go farther than that. Ouo)
French: 2/5 (I've been doing it all these years, but I've never liked it and I never focused on it. =.= I would like to get better in time for final exams next year. ^-^" Can understand basic French writing, but no listening or speaking. TuT *shudders, hoping that my French teacher will never see this*
Hindi: 1/5 (Not my regional language, but I've watched lots of movies, so I can basically understand what someone says. :D)
An (apparently) unknown Indian language, Telugu: 2.5/5 (My mother-tongue, but I can only understand it. T,,T I have no hope of speaking or writing it since I mix up my sentence construction a lot. Even though mom and dad speak it constantly. >u> I'm always ashamed when I talk to my grandparents over the phone. XpX )
Japanese: 1/5 (Anime! xD I've tried speaking it, but only know conversational phrases. I also try talking to fellow otakus in romanji. Otherwise, I can't write or read. xD I'm working on it, though. Oooh, but I can sing just fine. Quite fluently, actually.)
Korean: I've just recently started, so...0.01/5 maybe? :P (Just a few words here and there.)

I'm horrible at learning languages. /u\ It takes so long and I'm too lazy...I'm jealous of all of you guys right now! *holds up fist* O.o
JK, but still. :wink:

shamblebee

#57 Post by shamblebee »

RavenBelmont wrote:Hi, I'm new here and I decided it would be nice to just share something here and let myself be known a little. ^^

Spanish: 5/5 (Native language, so I can read and write anything in Spanish)
English: 4.5/5 (I went to an English/Spanish school when I was a kid, so we had English lessons everyday. I can say I understand anything I read, but when writing I might have to check in the dictionary for a word or two. I can make all sorts of translations from Spanish to English and viceversa)
Japanese: 0.5/5 (I studied Japanese for a year but I don't remember a thing... I know the basics only)

Also, since I'm a programmer, I might add these languages, even though one doesn't 'speak' them: C++,C#,Visual Basic, Java, SQL.

That's pretty much it.
Hey, I'm a spanish native speaker and programmer too :)

I speak english and spanish and know a few programming languages: Actionscript, PHP, HTML5, Javascript...

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#58 Post by Ran08 »

Wow, this is so interesting. Hahaha. I've always loved languages. One of my favorite hobbies is watching dubbed Disney and Barbie songs from YT. Lol. :))

I'm a Filipino, so my native tongue is Tagalog. I guess I'll give that a 5/5 then. Hahaha. However, I grew up bilingual, in English too. I remember that most of the storybooks I had when I was younger were in English. My parents always spoke to me in either of those two.

Also, in my country, there's a variety of other "languages", two of which I sort of understand. Kapampangan and Ilokano. I can't speak those two fluently, but I understand most conversations. Hahaha.

And I love the Japanese language! When I was in preschool, I'd always watch Inuyasha, Slamdunk, and other anime after school. That was in the Tagalog dub too, hahaha. But then, whenever I'd watch the original with English subs, it was so much more interesting to me! Hahaha. Up to now I still love it, and I can understand bits and pieces of Japanese, read and write Kana and about a hundred Kanji. Lol. I still have a long way to go though, but I know I'll have a lot of fun along the way.

Spanish was the language of my paternal ancestors, and when I was younger, my grandmother tried to teach me that language. Hahaha. I don't remember much of what she taught me before though.

My maternal grandfather, on the other hand, had Chinese roots, but my mother didn't learn from him. Haha. However, since she studied in a Chinese school when she was younger, she picked up a few things and used them on me. Lol. -_____- She could only remember the basic greetings and words. Haha!

And finally, I've touched Greek, Korean, French and German. I can read the first two, but I can't really understand them. Hahaha. It's always the writing system that makes the language so intriguing to me. And as for the last one... oh I just love that language. :") I think it's lovely.

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

#59 Post by inhalance »

Hmm.. I currently know about 4 languages. The basic breakdown:

5/5 - English
4/5 - Spanish
4/5 - Cantonese (my native language)
3/5 - Mandarin
1/5 - Korean

My first language was Cantonese, but I attended a school where there was a lot of importance placed on English (I went to a Catholic school), so I lost some of my Cantonese in the process of learning English, which is my favorite academic subject. I took Spanish classes for three years since my school requires that many to graduate.

I attended four years of Chinese school, but that was when I was young and I've forgotten most of what I've learned, save for everyday phrases and basic characters.

I'm attempting to learn Korean at the moment since the language really fascinates me, but I find it really complicated.. however, I do notice the similarities between Korean and traditional Chinese.
And finally, I've touched Greek, Korean, French and German. I can read the first two, but I can't really understand them. Hahaha. It's always the writing system that makes the language so intriguing to me. And as for the last one... oh I just love that language. :") I think it's lovely.
Wow, that's really cool! :) I've always wanted to learn Greek and German, haha. German is very lovely indeed ^^
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#60 Post by Akitsuki »

Wow, didn't know that some of the people here could speak more that 5 languages! I myself is a native Indonesian speaker, and I rarely have difficulties with English. Thou I need more practice hearing people speak in English, both American and British. Well now I'm an exchange student in Japan and I'm starting to learn Japanese too. I can talk and read the basic stuff, and obviously I have a long way to go to understanding this language. Probably the number will be like this;

Indonesian: 5/5 (it's my native language so, yeah)
English: 4/5 (I think I've learned it in my whole life lol)
Japanese: 2/5 (like it or not, I have to UNDERSTAND this language if I want to live lol)
Arabic: 0.5/5 (learned it at school but remember nothing--I can read really few thou)