recommended manga(formerly currently reading manga)

For the rest of your otaku life.
Zannen

Re: recommended manga(formerly currently reading manga)

#121 Post by Zannen »

I've been going through a sort of manga revival recently and have been chewing through a lot of stuff, especially shoujo/romance.

Here's what I enjoyed recently:
Hana-Kimi - The artist's panel layouts are so detailed. And the story so far is really cute and doesn't wear out its premise, surprisingly.
Love Com - The artist draws some really, really great facial expressions. Kind of reminds me of Kodocha.
Alice in the Country of Hearts/Clover/Joker - These have been hit-or-miss. I actually really liked the Bloody Twins one, and the current Joker series is my favorite so far.
Crimson Empire - Manga based on another QuinRose game (Alice). Since the games don't get translated I'll have to just make due with the manga releases.
Heart of Thomas - Early example of BL manga published in 1974. Comes printed in a beautiful hardcover edition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_no_Shinz%C5%8D
Ouran High School Host Club - Watched the anime on a whim on Netflix and loved it. Want to get all the manga now!
Tokyo Babylon - Seeing the large version that was just reprinted and picking it up is the cause of my recent manga revival (haven't read any in like 7 years). God the art is pretty, I prefer when CLAMP uses a lot more black and dark solid lines.

Been surprisingly in love with Hana-Kimi (my volumes 13-14-15 3-in-1 is in the mail and I can't wait) and with Love Com (Lovely Complex), which I picked up on a whim and really enjoyed the artist's style. It seems volume 7 of Love Com is annoyingly out of print ($30-40 used on sites, ugh) so I'm at a bit of a roadblock on that one. Been eyeing the large Ouran complete collection on Amazon, too. Tempting.

Orison
Projects: Dream No More

#122 Post by Orison »

I haven't really been exploring the manga section that often but I definitely have a few favourites!!

Annarasumanara - It's not really a manga, but a manhwa. However, I really liked it. It's sweet and realistic, despite being about "magic". The artist's style is rather unique and even manages to pull off photoshopping pictures in there in an interesting way.
Natsume Yuujinchou - I love Natsume and Nyanko-sensei so much! The stories, although usually short and don't relate or show up again in the series (albeit a few characters who do show up every so often), are heart warming or tear jerking. It's really sweet and if you aren't really looking for a romance but something along the lines of it, this is a good manga to read.
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu - One of the strangest mangas I have read BY FAR. If you liked Matsui Yuusei's Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, then you'll probably like this one as well.
Horimiya - There are two different versions of these, the original and the remake. The original was a set of webcomics while the latter is a manga adaption of it. Both are pretty cute, but the former has an OVA with that art style, not the manga's style of art.
Lovely Complex - My fave because they took something so normal and wove it into a story line making it funny and sad. Made me cry a bunch of times during reading it and watching the anime.
Oresama Teacher - This manga is one of my favourite shoujos (besides Lovely Complex). The characters can often be a bit over the top with their antics or ways of solving problems -- But hey, it's manga. What's not over the top?

shwippie
Regular
Completed: Double Romance
Projects: Rolland's Candy Shop. Mitzi's Fable
Tumblr: shwippie
Deviantart: shwippie

#123 Post by shwippie »

^Ah, I love Annarasumanara, too!

I like to read dark or seinen manga. My list is over 300, so it's hard to choose. These are just a few of my favorites:
I Am a Hero (starts out as normal slice of life, then in Volume 2 it suddenly becomes a zombie manga :lol: )
Oyasumi Punpun (psychological, probably changed my life)
Homunculus (it's so bizarre and creepy in a good way)
Uzumaki (horror, I love everything by this author)
After School Nightmare (about people's dream selves, ending is a huge surprise)
Yotsubato! (lighthearted, feel good manga :) )
Image Image Image

ZeroExistence009
Regular
Projects: Platonic Adolescence (Filipino VN for adolescents)

#124 Post by ZeroExistence009 »

^Yeah yeah Annarasumanara!! Do you believe in 'magic'? :D

My favorite manga of all is Oyasumi Punpun. It's really depressing and creepy but I still got hooked to it. Unfortunately, it is still on going, with only two volumes left. It is written by Asano, Inio. I love every manga that he writes!

On my current manga list:
-The World God Only Knows -- 2nd favorite manga xD Just fell in love with those girls :lol:
-Minamoto-kun Monogatari -- It's ecchi and I'm not really fond of ecchi nowadays but this one keep me hooked. It's great anyway :D
-Nana to Kaoru -- This is ecchi too but unique in its own way. BSDM all the way :twisted:
-Tower of God -- It's manhwa and its reeeeeeaaaaally good!! I SWEAR!!
-Girls of the Wild -- Manhwa too. It's good too but the current chapters are becoming boring. Just for me.
-Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai -- One of my favorites. Well I really enjoy this manga because it's fun :lol:
-Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! -- This is one of the mangas that will make you laugh and feel depress at the same time!! :cry:

More to mention but this is the best for me :twisted:
Not Everything is Worth Existing. -- ZeroExistence009

80% Programmer, 15% Aspiring Writer, 5% Hentai, 0% Artist and 100% Lazy Bum

shwippie
Regular
Completed: Double Romance
Projects: Rolland's Candy Shop. Mitzi's Fable
Tumblr: shwippie
Deviantart: shwippie

#125 Post by shwippie »

^ there are only two volumes left of Punpun? Aw, I don't see how it can wrap up that fast where it is now!
Image Image Image

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#126 Post by Semienigma »

Finished King of Thorn, I liked it. Don't watch the movie though.

I always love Angel Sanctuary. Its my all time fav.

I am currently reading:

Loveless: Its getting frustrating..

Are you Alice: It has a bunch of cute guys in it with Alice in wonderland theme!

Alice in the Country of Hearts: Noticing a pattern here.

Noblesse: Vampires and lots of pretty men...and ramen.

That's it for now. Man...I need to get this stuff finished.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

NeoAngelique
Regular

#127 Post by NeoAngelique »

If you like showbiz , I'd recommend Skip Beat!
Well, for fantasy, I read The World God Only Knows, La Corda D'oro (Completed) and InuYasha (Completed)
For Mystery, Detective Conan and Magic Kaitou.
I also read Maid-Sama!, Hayate the Combat butler and Tonari no Kashiwagi-san.

Trouble Time

#128 Post by Trouble Time »

I recommend Mahou Shoujo of the End to anyone who doesn't want to sleep for a while. It's a pretty good horror story IMO, but if you're not fond of gore, I can't recommend it. It's got something similar to a zombie apocalypse vibe, but with weird doll-like magical girls. I can't really say much more without spoilers, but I'd say it's worth a read.

DeletedUser160413

#129 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

Oh definitely this manga right here:

Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan

The only manga that has EVER made me cry. Totally and absolutely my favorite MANGA of all time!

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#130 Post by sendo »

Let's see:
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - awesome story, be ready to shed some manly (or womanly?) tears. :D
Mx0 - Very good protagonist. A good break from the usual shounen heroes. Be prepared though, this manga was cancelled.
Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa - A RomCom from the author of Mx0. I love the twists and turns of the story. Too bad the plot was resolved too quickly.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Crenshaw6
Regular

#131 Post by Crenshaw6 »

Hmm, I mostly read oneshots and short one-volumes, but these should keep you occupied for a while.

Furou Kyoudai: Very interesting and funny siblings. One volume long.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: As soon as I saw the aloof male high school student shoujo mangaka and guys playing otome games, I was sold!
DOYDK (Dear Only You Don't Know): Korean webcomic. The female characters very interesting with their secrets.
Nukoduke!: It's just cuteness overload!

Plotline_Progenitor
Regular
Completed: Valerie's rest: Scripts and dreams, Countdown to Silence
Projects: Geas Institute, Adventuring enterprises

#132 Post by Plotline_Progenitor »

My opportunities to read manga are more limited than my available anime options but here's a few

Current:
Oh Holy!
DICE
Yotsubato/Yotsuba&

Previous:
Mahoraba
Orange Marmalade
Edit: Because you smile when I sing
Edit: Death note

Unclear on whether the series ended but would read more of it:
Iris Zero

nerupuff
Veteran

#133 Post by nerupuff »

Just gonna add to this list!

Both of what I'm reading are ongoing manga/manhwa that takes time to update, but they are good.
Check out the ff:
Houseki no Kuni
DICE: The cube that changes everything

They both have very interesting concepts and they are at the peak of their storylines! :D
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#134 Post by Morhighan »

I'm currently working on:

-Houseki no Kuni

Recently Finished:

-My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness

Both are wonderful. MLEwL is really relatable. Houseki no Kuni is gorgeous and I love the symbolism and concepts.

DVD2heart
Projects: Mr. End of The World

#135 Post by DVD2heart »

Currently reading:

Fate/Strange Fake
Darker Than Black
Genshiken(whenever it returns)
Blade of the Immortal

Recommend

Gunsmith Cats: if you want fast paced gun slinging action, fast cars, and great characters, try this

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Its a long, tranquil boat ride kind of story.