Between The Raindrops [KN? - Action - Mature] ON HOLD

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

Between The Raindrops [KN? - Action - Mature] ON HOLD

#1 Post by aphosphene »

This isn't vengeance. It's justice.
A life for a life.
Yes. This is justice.
I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

The making of this game is on hold for a while.
Check out the project I'm working on at the moment.

Following the brutal murder of Gregory Bridge, his young widow took over the management of his business
in wine production. Facing ruthless competitors, making unlikely allies, and constantly warring with hidden enemies
who seek the downfall of her business empire, The Olympian, Miss Em has made her mark in the world of corporate and political strife.

A decade later, the continous conflicts have finally lead to devastating events. The Troubled Children, a group of close and
trusted young men and women who fight for Miss Em and her cause, are pushed to the brink and begin to falter.

Daniel, Gregory's nephew and one of Em's trouble boys, is terribly shaken by the tragedy and decides to once and for all figure out who are
these shadows in the dark, to solve the true nature of his uncle's death and uncover the true purpose of the cause they've all been fighting for.

But the truth has its cost.

In this pit of deception, violence, betrayal and corporate warfare will Daniel be
willing to sacrifice his morals, his sanity and the life he'd known to pay the price?

Progress:
Art: 30 %
Story: 50 %
GUI: 10 %
Coding: 5 %
Music: 10 %

Major Characters:

Ms. Em - A seductive bundle of sin who took the business world by storm.
The bold head of The Olympian Winery who always, always, takes her toll.

Daniel Montenegro - All smiles and laughter, Danny seems to be too good at heart, but every man has his own secrets.
Architect at Cusack Imports, the (somewhat unwilling) sister company of The Olympian, and nephew of the
deceased business tycoon, Gregory Bridge.

Third Tolland - Danny's own John Watson only in position but not in personality, a position he is frankly not comfortable with.
Smooth, slick and ambitious, he is the executive project manager at BOTH the Cusack Imports and The Olympian.

Jamie Murray RN - Practical nurse by day, part-time staff at the Alto Monte by night. Her father works at Ms. Em's vinery.
Friendly, motherly and caring, the perfect (and boring) heroine material, as far as anyone from the outside knows.

Via Cusack - Precise, calculating and a woman of few but sharp words. It's whispered that she's the one who truly hold
the strings in this side of the corporate gameplay. CEO of Cusack Imports.

Aaron Murray - Jamie's not-so-little baby brother, one of Em's scholars and grew up in the shadow of the Troubled Children.
Dreamy, adventurous and way too curious for his own good, though his curiosity does have its uses.

Minor Characters:

Alba Rossley - Another one of Em's scholars. Odd, young and excels in several unexpected fields.
Reads too much, has four blogs on Crumblr, avid fan of Lord of Thrones, hates duckfaces and despises Austin Beaver.
I'm betting the player is gonna relate to her A LOT.

Erin and Solenn Bennet - Scholars and nieces of Ms. Em. Both now serves as staff and entertainers at
Alto Monte while attending the University. Born in the same year but these sisters couldn't be more different from one another.

Mori Segel - Sassy, flawless and epic; when asked to describe himself. The Staff manager of Alto Monte.

Sameer Abbas - He's sweet and polite. But if you touch his precious plants, he'll go حرب on you.

Dominick Cusack - The cold, commandeering president and largest shareholder of Cusack Imports. Incredibly private and manipulative,
there are only a handful people in this business who don't fear this man, or so they claim.

Dr. Arthur Fischer - The reluctant doctor. Someone's gotta make those fake medical records once in a while.
Chief of staff at the New Asphodel City General Hospital.

Will add more.

Setting:

The Olympian - One of the leading wine-producing companies in the country.

New Asphodel City - The fictional city where all the action happens. Raincoats, boots and umbrellas are the fad.
(The city's name is bound to change.)

Cusack Imports and Industries - Biggest in the business of exporting products worldwide, whether for commercial or private matters.

Alto Monte - Ms. Em's first business, a small cantina where the characters often hang out, given to her as a wedding gift by Gregory.

New Asphodel City General Hospital - The city's state of the art hospital. There are rumors of inhumane "procedures" being done in its unused wards.

Will add more.

UPDATES:

- 8/2/2013 Added sketches of the major characters!
- 8/4/2013 Added a sketch of Alba and made an initial logo design.
- 11/21/2013 Finished two sprites, found some BGMs, writing is halfway done.
- 11/26/15 Made a new logo
Other Info

This thread is to record/report/keep track of the progress I've made with this concept.

I would really be delighted if you could comment on any aspect of it. Is the plot too complicated? Too ambitious? How about the characters? Are they interesting? Realistic? Believable? Cliche?

Honest critiques would lovely, give it your all. I believe I really need help with the way I write, I think it's too inconsistent. It's formal for now, then too casual the next. Also I think I get carried away in describing things, and I'm currently changing my the way I write using tenses, from past (was, made, rose) to present (is, making, rise), so I don't know if I'm making good progress. I find it really hard to differentiate narratives from different characters. I want this story to concentrate around grief, love, betrayal and efforts to avoid another tragedy, with the occasional blood and smexyness :3

This would be my first game so everything is uncertain. I'm determined in completing this project, I've invested a lot of emotional effort on it (personal reasons). I have no other fellow creators yet to help me with this game, since I haven't shared anything to anyone about it. So the progress will be painstakingly slow, but there will be progress and I will finish this.

Thank you for reading :)
Last edited by aphosphene on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 13 times in total.
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

Re: Between The Raindrops [KN? - Action - Mature] ADDED SKET

#2 Post by Anne »

Your sketches look very cool.

aphosphene
Regular

#3 Post by aphosphene »

Added sketches of the major characters, their appearances aren't final yet.
Next will work on GUI and of course planning multiple endings if possible.
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

aphosphene
Regular

#4 Post by aphosphene »

Anne wrote:Your sketches look very cool.
Thank you :)
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#5 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Oh, good! I saw this thread before when there wasn't any artwork...I admit, I am a "show me the artwork!" person when it comes to reading these threads. I'm liking the character designs (great anatomy)!

Adding to my bookmarked links :D

Honest Critique

aphosphene
Regular

#6 Post by aphosphene »

Green Glasses Girl wrote:Oh, good! I saw this thread before when there wasn't any artwork...I admit, I am a "show me the artwork!" person when it comes to reading these threads. I'm liking the character designs (great anatomy)!

Adding to my bookmarked links :D
Aww thank you! I was scared my anatomy was gonna fail, I usually draw chibis (and i've been drawing a lot of them recently).
And yeah, me too. I usually judge a WIP once its got art. That's why I knew had to immediately make sketches for this game :)
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#7 Post by Katta »

Very beautiful sketches, I so want to see the finished sprites now)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#8 Post by Fenrir34 »

Really like your drawings and the game itself looks to be interesting. I hope you can get it up and running.. Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your game :)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#9 Post by noeinan »

This looks interesting! I'll be following your progress. :3 Love the art style!

aphosphene
Regular

#10 Post by aphosphene »

Katta wrote:Very beautiful sketches, I so want to see the finished sprites now)
Thank you! Unfortunately I've only started with one sprite. But I try to work as fast I can :)
Fenrir34 wrote:Really like your drawings and the game itself looks to be interesting. I hope you can get it up and running.. Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your game :)
I hope so too. I know this gonna take a while, but I'm really determined on finishing it. Oh, and thank you for your support! :)
daikiraikimi wrote:This looks interesting! I'll be following your progress. :3 Love the art style!
Thanks! It's been a while since I've drawn in ghibli style so I got pretty nervous sketching the characters XD
Glad to know they look fine to you!

Updates:
I posted a sketch of Alba (had fun sketching her BTW) and revamped her description here.
I would've sketched the other minor characters but the battery of my tablet pen died T^T, I'll buy a new one today.
Also! Made a logo for the game (seen on top of the thread), but I'm not really satisfied with it so I'll be making a better one.
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Between The Raindrops [KN? - Action - Mature] ADDED A SK

#11 Post by merdeamour »

The plot looks interesting, and your sketches are amazing! The logo doesn't seem to fit the story's mood, though... I'll be waiting for this game's release (:
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

aphosphene
Regular

#12 Post by aphosphene »

merdeamour wrote:The plot looks interesting, and your sketches are amazing! The logo doesn't seem to fit the story's mood, though... I'll be waiting for this game's release (:

The synopsis doesn't really justify most of the story so it appears like the plot's very dark, so I can understand why the logo doesn't really fit since it's too.. light? :lol:

The story is really more emotional than what the synopsis implies, so I'll try to make a more suitable logo next time :)
Maybe I should revamp the synopsis too, but I don't want to reveal too much. XD

Oh my woes. Haha, anyway thank you for the support! :)
Filipino? :o
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#13 Post by merdeamour »

Nah, I think you should do whatever you think is right for the story xD If you think the synopsis is fine the way it is, I think that's good (: It's been enough to pique people's interest in it, so I think that's fine.

Yes, Filipino xD Are you, too? ...And I see you're a GoT fan, too...
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

aphosphene
Regular

#14 Post by aphosphene »

merdeamour wrote:Nah, I think you should do whatever you think is right for the story xD If you think the synopsis is fine the way it is, I think that's good (: It's been enough to pique people's interest in it, so I think that's fine.

Yes, Filipino xD Are you, too? ...And I see you're a GoT fan, too...
Thanks. I'm glad it catches some interest, but I do feel like changing a few details on the synopsis (I am weirdly liking that word). I'm downloading The Taleweaver's Curse, I'll play it later when I get home. As far as I can see, you've done a pretty good job on it! I feel so jealous! :D

And yeah, Pinoy. I adore GoT:3
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#15 Post by Didules »

Your signature caught my interest, so I came to see what this project was about, and I have to say I'm not disappointed at all!
The art is beautiful, the plot seems really dark and complicated enough to keep us into the game, and I had fun reading the informations about the characters (especially Alba who hates "Austin Beaver" (that one killed me XD)). Every single character is: interesting, realistic, believable (as far as I know), and a bit cliche, but not too much (for instance, Jamie could be really cliche, but then:
as far as anyone from the outside knows.
So maybe she's not that cliche in the end...)
Oh, and please, even if you revamp the synopsis (nice word here!), don't put too many informations, so that it'll stay intriguing :)
I'm waiting patiently for new updates!