Jacob's Island - (Fantasy)(Adventure)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

Re: Jacob's Island - (Fantasy)(Adventure) Kickstarted!

#61 Post by Geckos »

We have just launched the kickstarter for Jacob's Island.
Go take a peek at the trailers, and play the revised demo if you haven't already!

Jacob's Island - Kickstarter
Attachments
the_cast2.png
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck

#62 Post by Geckos »

A few variants of Eric's outfits. :P
Attachments
concept_eric2.jpg
Image ImageImage

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#63 Post by CheeryMoya »

I've fallen behind on updates on this game but now that I'm caught up, everything looks great! I don't have the means to donate to it myself but I'll try my best to spread the word. You should already know about Obscura's thread on Kickstarting tips but here it is again. Also, you should probably take some time to make your tumblr blog more visually interesting and use some of the more common tags. Try the Effector theme if you plan to use Twitter more, and open up Asks/Submits on the blog so people can ask the team questions. I think #visual novel and #visual novels have more traffic than #visualnovel, and it's worth trying out the #otome tag (even if this is more Adventure than Otome) among others. Good luck on the Kickstarter!

Geckos
Veteran

#64 Post by Geckos »

CheeryMoya wrote:I've fallen behind on updates on this game but now that I'm caught up, everything looks great! I don't have the means to donate to it myself but I'll try my best to spread the word. You should already know about Obscura's thread on Kickstarting tips but here it is again. Also, you should probably take some time to make your tumblr blog more visually interesting and use some of the more common tags. Try the Effector theme if you plan to use Twitter more, and open up Asks/Submits on the blog so people can ask the team questions. I think #visual novel and #visual novels have more traffic than #visualnovel, and it's worth trying out the #otome tag (even if this is more Adventure than Otome) among others. Good luck on the Kickstarter!
Glad to hear it! Thanks for stopping by. I will certainly investigate the tips that you have suggested; I didn't even realize that Asks/Submits weren't visible.

Have some Kenna!
I was thinking about what she might wear as she progressed through various story paths within the game. Here is the first edition!

Can you guess who she might be hanging out with to be wearing this?

"Is that a flower in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

…I don’t know, I just wanted to say it.
Attachments
Kenna_garden.jpg
Image ImageImage

meila_o

#65 Post by meila_o »

First of alll, I wish you all the best for your game! And here are my two cents.

Positive feedback :
  • the demo is long and addictive.
  • gorgeous art is gorgeous. Gorgeous backgrounds are gorgeous. Did I say I find it gorgeous?
  • I love the animated sprites.
  • I can feel humor in various situations/replics. Yes, lots of humor!
  • the main character is really easy to be fond of.
  • the side characters are interesting. And I like the fact that they have their own strength, power and influence. Kenna represents something new and unexpected happening to them but they had a life before her apparition. I approve of this.
    And I like the fact that they may have had a romantic life before too. It's much refreshing.
  • the entire feel of the story makes me want to know more.
  • some standards are revisited, this is great.
  • the different cultures seem well-rounded. I want to learn more!
  • Magic is well described. Magic on Jacob's Island is badass!
Little comments :
  • right after a stasis, Kenna seems physically fit and even sharp enough to think straight and open the door without any pain. I would have liked to see her a bit weaker before she actually collapses (I am used to see it like that in movies and games, I guess).
  • when Kenna first meet everybody, she seems a little surprised but not frightened or relieved. She has some guts! Maybe a little too much?
Questions that don't need an answer :
  • will some of the side characters (and even Kenna) decide to act selfishly or like bad mooded jerks from time to time?
  • sometimes I wondered if Kenna shouldn't be "feeling" more. In a descriptive way of her thought processing. This debate haunts me : do we want to imagine how the protagonist feels or do we want to see it clearly written?
  • will Kenna be able to make mistakes and learn from them?
  • Kenna is nearly a God and well, she doesn't give a damn. Will this stay like it? Will she begin to become insecure? If in a relationship, will this endanger it? Is there something hidden in Es' sentence : "I suppose they're all ambitious weirdos though, and nothing's more ambitious than whatever you are."?
Real questions :
  • have you though about the future rating of this game? Are you willing to take it to soft (or hardcore) mature grounds or to keep on a lighter tone? (I am asking if we will see themes like jealousy, slander, guilt,.. or death, war, betrayal,.. but also to know how the description of the romantic relationships will be handled.)
  • are some characters romanceable at the same time?
  • about the telling of the story : will there be a "campus screen" allowing Kenna to decide to go to some places to continue the story or are you planning on a more linear approach?
  • you say that Kenna's world doesn't revolves around personal relationships, but I didn't feel it in the demo (as it is an introduction to the characters and the action). So can you explain a little more what you meant? Is this linked to the recovery of her past and the discovery of her powers? Will she be able to "change the face of the world"?
Opinion on some of the cast :
  • Kenna : strong-minded and sharp. Really interesting heroine. I like how she sometimes gets defensive then relaxes.
  • Zex : I never thought I would like a furry. Really. But Zex is such a cutie it's really hard to resist.
    Besides, he was an alpha male (like a boss 8)) so there is no need to resist. And there is also the thrill that he is powerful enough to learn illegal spells.
    I hope to see more of the wild/dominant side of him in the game. Like a little loss of control after a teasing. He is a tiger person after all.
  • Peter : smexy Incubus is smexy. And for someone of his specie, his way of seeing life is unexpected and well found. I hope Kenna will turn the tables on him.
    I would like to know the research for knowledge on illegal spells is something well spread among the mages or specific to some laid back, seductive "horny demon".
  • Es : whenever she is around works out fine for me because there is a lot of wit involved.
    I never really felt that she had to act on her words and ditch Kenna when the two of them met so I like her introduction and Kenna's persistence.
  • Nerina : I like her so far because she comes from an overly deceptive country. This brings so many possibilities of future development of her interactions with Kenna and the others that I'm eager to know more!
  • Eric : the Little Pony is far too good for his own. I guess he his the sweeter and sweetest thing Kenna will find. And it promises so much fun with all the teasing comments from the others characters.
  • Jacob the Snake : I'm so fond of him I was stuck at the screen where you can see him open his eyes or flick his tongue. <3
Silly whishes/questions (don't mind me :-P):
  • I want to see Zex soaked under a heavy rain.
  • Is Zex/Es/Peter's tail sensitive? I want Kenna to try and discover it for me.
  • is Peter far-sighted? Or are his glasses just a weapon of mass seduction?
  • how many mages are they?
  • what does "Born of fire" means for an Alicorn? :-P
  • can someone list the 64 known intelligent races?
  • what is the Manticores' language named?
  • WHO IS JACOB ????

Ennrael

#66 Post by Ennrael »

I never funded games before but, when I saw the Human of Legend reward I didn't hesitate. (Well, to be honest, a little because it's a big investment for me) I just hope there will be a way to fund the game even if the project on Kickstarter doesn't work.

Regarding the game, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the universe that comes out. You have no trouble following the progress of Kenna, the pace of the story is fluid and alternates between her flashbacks and the discovery of her new environment without difficulty.

I always found it quite difficult to balance the pace of the narrative, especially when there are many characters, but Jacob's island gets away without any pitfalls.

As for the characters, they are very well written and they each have their own personalities and goals. I appreciate them all, which is a rare thing for me, even if, of course, I don't agree with everything they do, like the libertine side of Peter or the chaotic side of Zex. (I'm probably exaggerating these traits a bit but it's just to give an example)

But there is a point especially rare enough to be noticed, which really appealed to me is having a real plot in addition to having various possibilities of romance. I like choices, I like romance but I prefer when they are part of an elaborate story.

So, basically, I just have one thing to say: keep going! :)

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#67 Post by buttdumpling »

oh my gosh!! I just played through this demo and LOVED it!!
I really like how comfortable with queer relationships all of the characters were, although it kind of made me disappointed by Kenna's shock. Although it would be AWESOME to see her grow into being accepting, or, (dare i say it??) queer herself. Basically I really want a Nerina route :3

It would also be nice to have a way to see conversation history, so click-happy players don't miss anything. But I don't want to be demanding or anything, everything here is super amazing! I can't wait for the full game!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#68 Post by philip »

Just took a look at the Kickstarter progress - thirteen days left and a little less than a third of the way to the goal. :( :( :( Come one everyone, this is a GREAT game, so let's step up and support it so it can be completed!!! (And yes, I have made a contribution :D ) (And NO, I am not connected to the members of this project in any way)

As I said, I think this an excellent story, and I would like to see the continuation. It will be very disappointing if it does not get completed.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#69 Post by try10 »

I was wondering what happened? Is this project being continued?

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#70 Post by Steamgirl »

Last I heard this project is still continuing. I saw the artist post something Kenna related on deviant art earlier this month. :)

Geckos
Veteran

#71 Post by Geckos »

try10 wrote:I was wondering what happened? Is this project being continued?
We weren't certain if we were going to continue the project or not, but after quite a bit of fumbling we've decided to finish it. There is no release date, and we're going pretty slowly but it is being worked on. You can check the tumblr for updates: http://floatingisles.tumblr.com/

Steamgirl wrote:Last I heard this project is still continuing. I saw the artist post something Kenna related on deviant art earlier this month. :)
Slowly but steadily!

I went ahead and cleaned up the post so it shouldn't have false information on it.
Image ImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Jacob's Island - (Fantasy)(Adventure)

#72 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm so glad this is still in the works. :D
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#73 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

I know I wasn't here for some time but ....
What happened to Kenna ?! She's even more beautiful than before !
Nerina changed to even better too.
So I have a question : Are you gonna re-draw everyone ?

I was already charmed by the story so far but here ... I feel it's going to be even more interesting.

Geckos
Veteran

#74 Post by Geckos »

nipaa_kazuma wrote:I know I wasn't here for some time but ....
What happened to Kenna ?! She's even more beautiful than before !
Nerina changed to even better too.
So I have a question : Are you gonna re-draw everyone ?

I was already charmed by the story so far but here ... I feel it's going to be even more interesting.
The story is getting revamped a bit, as a writer has dropped out and I have taken over. A lot of the backgrounds are getting minor revamps to be more detailed etc; besides Kenna and Nerina, I am hoping that no other characters will be seeing a revamp since the art for them is already pretty nice! (Eric and Es).

Thank you so much for your kind words! They inspire me to continue working on the project. :3
Image ImageImage

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#75 Post by philip »

@Geckos-

It's been five months since your last update; any progress to report? I REALLY enjoyed the demo and have been waiting (impatiently) for the completed game to be released.

I am sure that there are lots of others who feel the same way, so please let us know what is happening.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"