Porting visual novels to the iPad

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Amandir_Zeff
Organization: y5-apps

Porting visual novels to the iPad

#1 Post by Amandir_Zeff »

Hi guys,

I already contacted some of you via PM, but here a big broadcast to all of you visual novel artists out there.

My name is Julian and I am an professional IOS developer from Munich germany (yeah, thats right the city with the beer festival and BMW ;-) Please feel free to take a look at my website: y5-apps.de (But be careful: It's all German^^)
I am a huge fan of visual novels and was really disappointed with the small number of visual novels available on the iPad. That's why I spend some months of coding and created my own IOS visual novel engine.

At the moment I am already working on bringing the first visual novels of several artists to the iPad. The first ones should be released within the next weeks.
I will update this page whenever a novel is released: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 98#p287198

What I need now is more content and that's why I need YOU :-)

So here's the deal:
I will use my engine to bring your visual novels to the iPad.
You are the one to decide how they are released: As free apps with advertisements or as paid apps.
All revenue will be shared equally between you, the artist(s) and me the developer/publisher.

I consider myself to be a very fair and easygoing person, very experienced in the IOS domain, a little quirky but dedicated to my work. I hope some of the artists I already worked with can approve of that. :lol:

So if you are interested in seeing your games played on the iPad and made accessible to Millions of people over the Apple App Store, please feel free to contact me by replying to this thread, sending me a PM, contact me over my website or contact me in any other way you want (included but not limited to, telephone, E-Mail, pigeon post, black magic...)
Last edited by Amandir_Zeff on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Porting visual novels to the iPad

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Technically, this isn't really a "recruitment posting". However, I think one could consider this an "offered service" (the service being "porting Ren'Py VNs to iPad"), so I'm going to allow this thread.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Amandir_Zeff

#3 Post by Amandir_Zeff »

Taleweaver wrote:Technically, this isn't really a "recruitment posting". However, I think one could consider this an "offered service" (the service being "porting Ren'Py VNs to iPad"), so I'm going to allow this thread.
Thank you Taleweaver. :-)

TwilightOfTheSoul
Regular

#4 Post by TwilightOfTheSoul »

Amandir_Zeff wrote:So here's the deal:
I will use my engine to bring your visual novels to the iPad.
You are the one to decide how they are released: As free apps with advertisements or as paid apps.
All revenue will be shared equally between you, the artist(s) and me the developer/publisher.
To put it in laymen's terms, you are asking for a 50% share of the profit for each iOS sale in exchange for a service you perform once (and hopefully take the burden of technical support for). The developer in exchange gets a new market through which to sell their works and can forego the usual cost of entry into the extremely closed-off apple developer community.

If I am getting that right, then that is kind of a steep cut for the developer to take. The most I ever see people take a cut for providing tech support is 20% and the mean is 12%. I understand that being inflated because of the increased cost of entry into the iOS developer community, but 50% still seems harsh for what is in all likelihood an automated process you have developed (and thus can generate perpetual profit from only a few hours of work for each project you take on).

For anyone thinking about this, I would recommend letting your work out into the rest of the world before taking a deal like this to expand out into the iOS market, because it might make a huge difference in how much profit you can generate before you hit your plateau. Also consider that many VNs won't even be considered for inclusion in the app store due to stringent content policies.

Amandir_Zeff

#5 Post by Amandir_Zeff »

Thanks for your input TwilightOfTheSoul.

Yes, in fact I am asking for 50% of the created revenue and, on contrary to your opinion, I am not of the opinion that this is too much. Here is why:

1.) Porting the visual novels is not simply a process of throwing your renpy project into my engine, let some magic happen and TADA - we have the app. (And I am happy that it's not - if it was no one would need IOS developers anymore ^^) It is true, that I have some degree of automation, that at least provides me with the basic setup of the visual novel (this textblock after that textblock, change background here...). Nevertheless this is only the starting point. I have to manually go over the visual novel then, fix errors that were made during parsing, insert decisions and set up the different paths of the story. I then usually test the app several times to make the "small changes", that in my opinion make all the difference in atmosphere (e.g. play music after/with background change, animation durations...).
Furthermore visual novels with a very low amount of interaction need to be added interactive elements, so that they even can be published as apps (apple is very strict concerning this matter - if you do not have enough interaction you are simply rejected and will be sent to iBooks - which isn't really an option...)

2.) This is my job. I am a professional IOS developer. I have been developing for IOS devices for approximately 3,5 years now and founded my own company 1,5 years ago. I don't want to sound cocky, but I am really good at the things I do and therefore also want to be paid for it. I am not expecting to get my usual wages from porting the visual novels - and I am not even expecting to get them.( I will not state any number here, but if you are interested google can tell you)
I really like to do this and working with artists is a really pleasant change from working with company guys all the time ;-)
Nevertheless my bills (sadly) don't pay themselves so I have to at least get a minimum income to feed myself and pay my rent.

3.) I don't know where you got those numbers (12% and 20%) could you give me a link to a source? I ported some German magazines to the iPad and those were basically only a store system with pdf files in them and we got a 50% share of the revenue as well. So I was quite confident, that 50% would also be OK, or even quite low in the visual novel department.

4.) As the apps are published over my account I have to steadily keep track of sales and send reports/money to the artists on a regular basis. Also it is not all that much this is also an ongoing process, eating away my time.

To also answer the question between the lines: Of course I also provide tech support after the app is released. This includes answering support tickets from users and also updating the app in case bugs are discovered or the artist wants to add/change content.

I want to be as honest here as possible: The IOS port might eat away some of your revenue, generated by the versions for other operating systems (also I doubt it is all that much). On the other hand you open up a whole new market for your visual novels. There are more than 100 Million iPads out there (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad) and the vast majority of those iPad users also uses the apple app store.

In the end the 50% share is not set in stone, there is some small room to negotiate, but 20% is just so low, that porting the visual novel does not pay for me at all and that I just simply cannot do it, then.

TwilightOfTheSoul
Regular

#6 Post by TwilightOfTheSoul »

The 12/20% per-sale comes from tech support agreements we have negotiated where I work. That much has nothing to do with porting the application. NDAs prohibit me from giving exact numbers or sources, so I'm afraid I can't prove that, so take it how you will.

The act of porting something warrants a one-time payment based on the amount of effort put into porting it. If it takes 20 hours of work and your work is worth roughly $35 an hour (having tools to automate the process *does* increase the value of your work as long as it does not lower the quality of the result) then you can feel justified in charging $700 for doing the work. I don't believe it is ever justified to receive indefinite continual payments for that type of work, though.

Ideally an arrangement like this would be negotiated as a one-time price for the port plus reasonable dividends paid for tech support (and accounting, since you brought that up). That way you are guaranteed fair pay for your work, and the creator doesn't feel cheated 5 years down the road when they realize how much money they have possibly lost due to the arrangement.

The model you propose is attractive to someone without much starting capital and does not think their product will sell well, but it is heavily weighed in your favor if things do take off.