Ophidia Mythos: Star Serpent (Occult Fantasy VN)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ekamu
Regular
Completed: Paper Guitar

Ophidia Mythos: Star Serpent (Occult Fantasy VN)

#1 Post by Ekamu »

***Ophidia Mythos: Star Serpent***

General Description of the Game
Ophidia Mythos: Star Serpent is very loosely based of Mesoamerican/Aztec God the Feather Serpent Quetzalcoatl.
As well as some other popular gods/spirits in traditions around the world such as Japans Yuki Onna,
Azrael from Judeo-Christian religion as well as the seventh avatar of the God Vishnu in Hinduism Rama
and Isis the goddess of magic in Ancient Egypt.

The Idea is to have a rumble with all these interesting characters in a "dreamscape" ancient Earth "Ara".

Itzel roughly translates to Star from Mesoamerica of indigenous origin
(Derived from Ixchel who was an important Moon Goddess in the Mesoamerican pantheon)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Itzel
Coatl translates to Snake or Serpant

Ophidia is a scientific term that relates to reptiles that are similar to snakes

Characters and Story

Itzelcoatl is the main character:
Itzelcoatl
Itzelcoatl
newitzelcl.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Zodiac Sign: Cancer

She is a "Star-Serpent" and the Moon Goddess of Ara (Ancient Earth).
The "Legend" has it that her father Quetzalcoatl, on his diurnal journey around the Earth bringing light, enlightenment and wisdom to man fell in love with Yuki Onna, the Goddess of cold and, ruler of Pluto and "transformations".
Quetzalcoatl became so obsessed to meet her that one day he left his usual path and descended from the heavens for 3 days and rose again on that 3rd night. It was said that there was a magnificent radiance from the full moon on that very night and having made love Yuki Onna melted into the oceans that then fill the Earth and out of those waters Itzelcoatl was born under the moonlight. Quetzalcoatl went to the Black Sun (the centre of all space and time where everything came from) where he never returned again. Some say Yuki Onna and Quetzalcoatl are still alive somewhere
(they where some sightings of Yuki Onna in Japan but occultists say its Yuki Onago her Sister the Snow Wench instead.)

Lucifer is the main antagonist
Lucifer on Throne
Lucifer on Throne
lucufer_thronecl.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Zodiac Sign: Virgo

The story is a little different from the common fallen angel, Lucifer after Quetzalcoatl's disappearance took his Ghost-Lantern, the light we know of as the Morning Star that Quetzalcoatl used during his diurnal trips around the Earth.
He then became an Arch Angel and got his title as Light Barer and Morning Star, a title only held by the most enlightened and good-willed of Demon like Quetzalcoatl.
However now that Lucifer was Light Barer he forced a dictatorship and became ruler of Heaven. There was an argument among the Gods about Lucifers dictatorship, Soul Reapers; Xolotl and Azreel, Goddess of Magic Isis and divine human/demigod Rama where then cast out of heaven and into the Lucid-Abyss Jigoku (The Underworld) where they would remain until the spirit of Quetzalcoatl would return and a new messiah would abolish Lucifers rule. Itzelcoatl being a direct air is said to be the messiah as she is the only one with the spirit of Quetzalcoatl, she roams the waters of Earth and is said to pass between Jigoku and Limbo every no-moon to ease her spirit from the mystery of her parents and from loneliness.

Is she really willing to liberate the fallen angels and abolish Lucifers dictatorship? Will she ever find her parents if they are even still alive, will she abandon all and seek the Black Sun where she might reunite with her family, will Lucifer persuade her into joining his rulership as queen of darkness?

Thats all up to you the spirit of Quetzalcoatl that lives within her.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Share your Opinions:
What do you think of the plot and overall look of the game? Would you like there to be more reference to gods that are known or would you prefer more made up characters. If so what are your favorite deities/legends/myths?

EDITED: 8/23/2013 4:40PM
signature
signature
sig.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Last edited by Ekamu on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 am, edited 17 times in total.
------------Paper Guitar------------
Experimental Nostalgic Romance VN Out Now!
.......made with love from the lucid moon........

Ekamu
Regular

Re: Itzelcoatl Gaiden: Occult Fantasy Visual Novel

#2 Post by Ekamu »

Here is another screenshot of the game.Lucifer is contemplating with the Devil-Force.
Lucifer Contemplating
Lucifer Contemplating
Here is the Menu Interface, I tweaked the default one for a more simple look
Menu Interface
Menu Interface
Menu Interface Quiting
Menu Interface Quiting
screenshot3.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 3464 times

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

Stick to existing gods (and made-up relatives of them) IMO - it's not like there aren't plenty to go around, especially if you're delving into mythologies that are a little less known than the standard greco-roman fare.

Also, while the visual style could work out, please be sure to take the time to get spellchecking! :)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#4 Post by Katta »

I kind of dislike the mix of Japanese elements with other (like Itzelcoatl Gaiden instead of just Itzelcoatl story and Jigoku and Yokai instead of Underworld and demons or something like that). I mean it's ok that there are supernatural creatures from different cultures in the story when they control their corresponding areas and fight for world dominance. But why using Japanese terminology when writing about Lucifer and Quetzalcoatl? But the story itself sounds interesting, it would be nice to have some scary voodoo spirit too.
The art is nice but pixel graphics look a bit outdated to me unless the game is for cell-phones.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by CheeryMoya »

Ahaha oops I completely missed this thread
Katta wrote:I kind of dislike the mix of Japanese elements with other (like Itzelcoatl Gaiden instead of just Itzelcoatl story and Jigoku and Yokai instead of Underworld and demons or something like that). I mean it's ok that there are supernatural creatures from different cultures in the story when they control their corresponding areas and fight for world dominance. But why using Japanese terminology when writing about Lucifer and Quetzalcoatl?
The Shin Megami Tensei series mixes mythologies from all over the world. Japanese, Nordic, Chinese, German, French... the list goes on. They also have a few original demons/creatures in their games, such as Black Frost (a mutated Jack Frost). If they can do it, why can't anyone else?
Katta wrote:The art is nice but pixel graphics look a bit outdated to me unless the game is for cell-phones.
It's the retro pixel aesthetic, so it's meant to look outdated. Nostalgia factor and all.

I admit that I had a bit of trouble getting past all the textblocks, but the premise seems interesting. I'm totally digging the textbox and font you chose too, it's all looking really great :D Add whatever deities you need for the story, but try to grab from existing mythologies first.

P.S. Nice touch with the 666 on Lucifer's jacket, I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed it.

Edit: Before you get to far in development, have you considered changing the resolution? Looking at the screenshot with Itzelcoatl and Lucifer on the same screen, 800x600 might be a bit cramped. 1024x576 might give your sprites a bit more space.

Ekamu
Regular

#6 Post by Ekamu »

(^_^) Thanks for your feedback!
Face in the dark
Face in the dark
dv-face.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
I changed the background for Lucifer's conversation with the Devil-Force, having a face behind him is a lot more haunting that just many random eyes.
The pixel art is very well supposed to make the game look and feel outdated, especially the T.V lines and Text Box. I'm sure its not the usual but it's part of the aesthetics of the game, you'll see what I'm talking about...
Devil Force
Devil Force
The 666 was sort of last minute lol, I'm glad it worked out...
And yes there is definitely some voodoo involved mainly with the character Isis the Goddess of Magic and the Occult but right now I'm still building up the main plot direction before I introduce some other characters.

What do you think of the title name "Star Serpant" instead?
There is defiantly a blend between cultures, Itzelcoatl and Gaiden might not sound "right" together but for now I'm not too sure of another name, personally I think Star Serpents Story or Legend sounds too flat.

Lets choose a title together:
>Itzelcoatl Gaiden
>Star Serpant Story
>Itzelcoatl (no Gaiden)
>Legend of the Moon Child/Star Child/Star Serpant
Last edited by Ekamu on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ktalkimist
Veteran

#7 Post by ktalkimist »

Does the art style deliberately mimic adventure games in the 90s? I like it!

Ekamu
Regular

#8 Post by Ekamu »

Yes absolutely, with a Chiptune soundtrack and everything!

Here is a screenshot of my composed song...sorry the sound file could not load in the thread.
Screenshot of Chiptune Music Maker MOD2PSG2 In Action!
Screenshot of Chiptune Music Maker MOD2PSG2 In Action!
I'll look see if I can post a song up and link back here tomorrow, I should go get some rest for now its 1:25AM.

Katta
Veteran

#9 Post by Katta »

CheeryMoya wrote:The Shin Megami Tensei series mixes mythologies from all over the world. Japanese, Nordic, Chinese, German, French... the list goes on. They also have a few original demons/creatures in their games, such as Black Frost (a mutated Jack Frost). If they can do it, why can't anyone else?
I only said my personal opinion about unnecessarily using Japanese names for everything. Shin Megami Tensei is a Japanese series so it's natural for them to name everything in Japanese, but for an English game I'd prefer English words. As I said, it's only my personal opinion and everyone is free to think otherwise.
So my choice for the name is Star Serpent Story(or maybe Tale?) or probably just Star Serpent.

Ekamu
Regular

#10 Post by Ekamu »

You have a point, its unnecessary to use pop Japanese words in an English game. That would look poser-ish.

I want to avoid Tales of... becuase there is already a huge series based around that
(Tales of Phantasia e.t.c)

The main characters in myths are usually gods, supernatural heroes and humans.
That would make this game a Mythology ( collection of Myths )

Ophidia is a group of squamate reptiles including modern snakes and all snake-like "lizards" closer to snakes than to other living groups of lizards.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophidia)

So What about the name:
>Ophidia
>Ophidian Mythology
>Ophidian Mythos
>Legends of Ophidia
or
>Ophidian Mythos: Legend of a Star-Serpent
>Ophidia: Star Serpant Chronicles
>Ophidios-Saga "Ophidios is made up"

I do intend to make this a series of visual novels so words like Saga and Chronicles are not just to sound cool lol.

Technically Ophidia is more "Latin/Greek" but so are a lot of English words including Mythology.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#11 Post by ShippoK »

Ekamu wrote: So What about the name:
>Ophidia
I would go with this.
Short, simple and towards the point.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Katta
Veteran

#12 Post by Katta »

Do you use the word Ophidia in the game? (like explain that all serpent-like gods are called so?).
I like the word myth in the context of your game, you should definitely use it. Ophidia: Myth of Star Serpent

Ekamu
Regular

#13 Post by Ekamu »

Just Ophidia would sound nice but its not a common word so I will need to explain the meaning in the title a little

For example instead of just Ophidia we can have

Ophidia Phantom: Myth/Mythos of Star Serpant

Maybe that's a bit too lengthy...but I also want to keep Myth in there

The player can immediately identify the new word Ophidia with Phantom and think ok this is some kind of ghost or apparition, then Mythos of a Star Serpent...o.k so its a Myth about some ghost that's a star serpent...hmm Ophidia and Serpent must have some connection then...Bingo!

Ekamu
Regular

#14 Post by Ekamu »

I'm am reworking the main character for a more fitting look.

Here is the original character that I have been using:
Itzelcoatl A
Itzelcoatl A
itzela.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Here is the new design I made today:
Itzelcoatl B
Itzelcoatl B
itzelb.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Which one do you guys prefer?
She is a Star Serpent, her father is Quetzalcoatl and her Mother Yuki Onna. The first one I think is a bit more Japanese/Honorable with the cut kimono sort of outfit and the longer hair and the second one is a bit more Aztec/Punky with the Eagle feather and pixie haircut.

Katta
Veteran

Re: Ophidia Mythos: Star Serpent (Occult Fantasy VN)

#15 Post by Katta »

I like the second face more, but I'd prefer skirt instead of shorts.