[Otome] Convention Kiss *Moved to WiP!*

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
JudokaLilly
Regular
Deviantart: LillyInverse

[Otome] Convention Kiss *Moved to WiP!*

#1 Post by JudokaLilly »

Moved to WiP! All the information is there :3

Click Here for Convention Kiss in WiP!
Last edited by JudokaLilly on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Convention Kiss - An otome game I'm working on - let me know what you think! :3

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

Re: Convention Kiss

#2 Post by Alera »

This sounds like it's going to be sweet story~ Keep it up! owo/
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

One person was starting a boy x girl convention-themed VN back in 2012, but the thread ended quietly a month or two later.

Overall, I think that it would make sense if the main character knows friends and love interests before the story begins. Unless they're attending a small fan convention, the person will have to deal with crowds and lines and a lot of things to see and do. Going to a large con is often overwhelming and requires careful scheduling.
JudokaLilly wrote:My plan for this game is rather simple, I think. Once I get the game fully 1/3 done (as in, day 1 of the convention is complete, including art, CGs, music, etc) I am going to release a free demo. The demo will be the full first 1/3 of the game, to get people interested. At that point I plan to post in the 'in progress' section here at lemmasoft. I also plan to then make a Kickstarter for this game so that I can hopefully be able to pay my artists for their work. The Kickstarter total will be for the price of the game production and paying the artists alone, nothing extra. I estimate it to be no more than $2,000-$3,000.
First, make sure to write and code it. Creating even a small visual novel requires dedication and hard work. Anything can go wrong, from hard drive crashes, to unexpected life events, to conflicts with friends and family. Prepare yourself to face Murphy's Law. Once you've written it, then prepare to move on to the next stage.

If you haven't used crowd funding before, and if you haven't already sold an indie game (or a similar product) already, *make sure* you know what you're doing first! Ask for advice, do some research, and look at successful projects created by people who were not already famous. If you feel that you're not ready, then plan to make Convention Kiss into a freeware visual novel. You can use what you learn from creating it, and then work on your first indie game.

JudokaLilly
Regular

#4 Post by JudokaLilly »

Thanks for the input! It looks like that other convention-themed otome game is (was?) planning much more in-depth devices than what mine is. Mine will be strictly VN style, no stats to build or anything. I'm trying to make my first project something as simple as possible and still have it something I can be proud of and something many people can enjoy :3

Much of what you have mentioned are issues I have thought about before. As I mentioned, very nearly 1/3 of the VN is completely done excluding art aspects. I have been considering adding a 5th romanceable character, though, someone to play the 'childhood friend' type trope lol. The other 4 are set in their ways though, since it's taken me several months to get this far already. I started mine back in 2012 as well, but haven't been as dedicated as I could until recently when the sprites started rolling in.

I personally have used crowd funding before, but for a personal. It was mostly-successful (my mother's dog needed a wheelchair and we got it paid for ^_^) but it was definitely a learning experience, and I know I need to a d LOT more research before the initial Kickstarter post is ready! I've been plucking away at it for a while, saving it in a notepad file and adding to it whenever I think of something new or learn something else. But again, still much to learn, and I'm definitely not 100% sure that the Kickstarter will be successful. Hopeful! But not depending on it >.< It would be wonderful to be able to pay my CG artist though, and unfortunately Kickstarter is the only way that can happen, unless they are willing to wait until my VN starts to sell.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts! I am very excited to get the demo out to everyone as soon as possible, and I am still looking for any advice or suggestions anyone may want to offer :3

JudokaLilly
Regular

#5 Post by JudokaLilly »

Sorry for the HUGE hiatus - got SUPER swamped wit convention season! However, I have progressed a lot in just a short time - I met the wonderful and amazing sake-bento at Matsuricon and got some GREAT tips from her (as well as an autographed copy of her game Winter in Fairbrook too! :D). She had a VERY informative panel at Matsuricon and I learned SOoooo much! Thanks soooooooo soooooo much! <3! On a slightly related note, there was a panel at Youmacon that showed me a bit about what others are doing with Ren'py, so that was kinda cool :D

I also hired a composer, Scot Dillon, because, well frankly, I suck and he rocks xD Check out his Soundcloud and see! Lastly, I got the amazing MoonLover to agree to do our CGs as well! Yeeey! I THINK that completes our team, but if you think you have something you can add, please feel free to send me a PM!

Plans for the day are - implement all new sprites, get list of CGs to be created to the CG artist,

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: [Otome] Convention Kiss

#6 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

This sounds like a really cool game, and it is just fine the way it is. It needs nothing else done to it, it my opinion. I can't wait to play it when it's done!