I'm no Artist :(

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Walter Cross

I'm no Artist :(

#1 Post by Walter Cross »

Hey, first I'd Like to say I'm very new here :)

2nd, how would I Get Anime art?, i'm not an artist, do I Have to learn art first?

Thanks in advance :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Do you have friends who are artists, or know people online (i.e. deviantart) who draw? Then get them to help you make your visual novel (I'm assuming).

See, there's mostly writers and programmers here...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I think there are some artists here, but you'd probably have to interest them by writing a compelling and complete story first. Since the number of artists we have is limited, it's important to show them that you're likely to complete a project.

Welcome to the forums.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Interesting how the VN medium changes the 'power structure' so to speak. Usually you'd ask artists for their portfolios, but it's getting to be that writing examples are what gets people onboard.

Walter Cross

#5 Post by Walter Cross »

Thank you, I'll first Learn about this program via the Tutorials, then write up a complete story, Then I'll ask around for a Artist, Thank you for the Information :)

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#6 Post by Twar3Draconis »

You could always develop art skills as well.
I've always be fond of the "One-Man Army" approach. My spriting skills are getting rusty, though.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

Twar3Draconis wrote:I've always be fond of the "One-Man Army" approach.
Or "One-Girl Army"...we have several here :D

That was my initial approach to making games, but then I discovered there's a lot of hands-on practice in collaborating with others, especially those with superior skills in terms of writing, programming, art, or music. With collaborations there's a better chance in releasing quality material in the above mentioned aspects, especially when you want everything in your visual novel to be 100% custom and original. But in any case I am moving back to the one-man-army approach since it might be more appealing to release 'secret' projects where the only details you disclose are that you are working on something :D

Walter Cross

#8 Post by Walter Cross »

Well I Figure since I'm no artist I'll use Adobe Photoshop and other Image software to make what I want, It may not Look Anime but for what I Want it'll get the Job done :)

Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#9 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

When using photoshop make sure you know the little buttons that really enhance your work. a lot of digital work that seems complex is usually just a little trick on a new layer or something (though I can't think of one right now.)

If you can get the imagineFX magazines they are great for digital tips. If you don't have the money to spend im sure theres tutorials all over the place.

I'm afraid your still going to have to be a bit of an artist to get anything descent from photoshop though, traditional art skills help digital.
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

absinthe
Regular

#10 Post by absinthe »

Walter Cross wrote:Thank you, I'll first Learn about this program via the Tutorials, then write up a complete story, Then I'll ask around for a Artist, Thank you for the Information :)
This is how I did it, and it worked really well! You'll get lots of talented people offering to help out. And welcome to the forums. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

ChXris

#11 Post by ChXris »

You can always find free art material on the internet...

Anyway, nothing it's better than a CG or Character made especially for your game :D
-Skills-
██████████ Writing
████████ Ideas
████ Speed
█████ Art design
████ Motivation
███ Codes

-Work in progress-
Game name: "Master server Ran de Lanour" (beta name)
In: Stage 1 - Focusing on codes and writing
Idea [80%]
Script [20%]
Art [0%]

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: I'm no Artist :(

#12 Post by EwanG »

Walter Cross wrote:2nd, how would I Get Anime art?, i'm not an artist, do I Have to learn art first?
That depends on whether you ae looking for characters, or backgrounds. If you go to the resources thread, there are several places that have 640x480 and 800x600 backgrounds that are in the anime style that you can use for free, as long as your game is free. That's what I used for my first game, Senior Year (available on renai.us and downloads.com).

For character art, that gets a little trickier. One option is a book I highly recommend (not by me unfortunately) titled "Manga Clip Art" that comes with a number of Photoshop compatible characters in B&W trace form. You can mix and match heads, bodies, etc. to get a decent looking character, and then color it using the techniques shown in the book.

The other option is to get a character creation program. A free one is available at:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/hero ... chine2.asp

Or if you want to get fancy, you can do like I'm doing for my current project and get a program like iClone (which is what I'm using) or Poser to create 2D or 3D characters.

Hope this helps,
Ewan