The Black Hound

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

The Black Hound

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

I took a minute to search Kickstarter for "visual novel," and see if any new projects had appeared. Whattaya know, there's one. The Black Hound currently has a $15000 US funding goal with 26 days to go. The creator intends to make a dark fantasy / urban fantasy story. Reading further, I'd say that the KS page makes some interesting promises...

* it will be a commercial game, and will be submitted for Steam Greenlight
* no meaningless choices, vague options, or sudden deaths
* a protagonist who is not wholly good, nor a '90s comics-esque antihero
* influence of tokusatsu and world mythology

The character designs look kind of like 3D polygons, but I might be mistaken.

One last thing... the writer provides some information on how funds will be used.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: The Black Hound [Kickstarter VN]

#2 Post by merdeamour »

His premise sounds interesting--I especially liked:
It's important to me that every character be a believable human being, and that none of the scenarios are contrived. I need everything to make sense. I'm a huge fan of logical consistency.
He also had me at the mention of Sandman, my all-time favorite visual novel series by Neil Gaiman.

If I had a credit card, I'd donate a few dollars to this. As it is, I'm broke, and can only hope that he gains enough backers for the project.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

This project was roundly savaged on /evn/ and someone suggested that it was a troll listing, iirc...

Also, while this isn't your project, would the rules banning kickstarter links for anything wthout a demo still apply here?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

I double checked the forum rules, which currently state, "Do not link to crowdfunding campaigns (including kickstarter or indiegogo campaigns) for visual novels or games unless those campaigns include a link to a nontrivial playable demo." And as far as I can tell, Einherjar Productions doesn't have a demo yet. I should have noticed this earlier.

As of this writing, there are no comments on the person's Kickstarter. Einherjar Products has a website -- temporarily down at this moment -- as well as recent Facebook and Twitter accounts. I would hope that there are no genuine concerns about whether the creator is ready and able to create a VN. But unfortunately, there have been instances in which fully funded KS projects have not been released.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

Saw this a little late, and yes, our rules state that there should be no links to KS projects without demos.

However, discussion about this project should be allowed. I'm removing the link from the OP.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#6 Post by ThisIsNoName »

papillon wrote:This project was roundly savaged on /evn/ and someone suggested that it was a troll listing, iirc...
Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Honestly, I hope it is a troll listing, otherwise it is getting really depressing what people think professional development should be like. After reading through the whole thing, I still only have an inkling of an idea of what the story is. It seems like any time they try to talk about the story, they either say how it's going to be incredibly awesome, mention some other game or movie that people actually put work into, or just talk in circles. Not to mention that "polish" is a freaking stretch goal... at 35K, over double the original listing.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Black Hound

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Kickstarter funding ended after just a few weeks, on August 13 2013.

Einherjar Productions' KS page is still online, and it currently consists of a rant against successful crowdfunding projects. If you ask me, it's an example of bad publicity. Perhaps the group can start over, strive to create a small scale project, and reach out to fellow fans.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#8 Post by trooper6 »

What is /evn/ ?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

4chan. You're not missing much, I promise.