The age structure of the VN community

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

The age structure of the VN community

#1 Post by Hime »

One day I was on a walk, chatting with a friend of mine, and I ended up talking about the English VN community and this forum. (In a praising tone, of course. :D) Then she asked me how old the people here are in general. And well, I realized that I have totally no idea. It made me quite curious, so... How old are you guys? Not that it would matter much or anything, I'm just way too curious. I'd especially like to know how old people are creating VNs, so please mention it if you're an author. :)

Myself, I will not mention my age yet. Maybe in the future. I just don't feel like putting it in the first post of this topic... ^^;

So, discuss:
- Your ages
- The age structure of the (English) VN community
- Young people that are too curious

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'm a dirty old man of 28. It's weird to be at an anime con, and see people half your age.

I suspect that the community of people who have successfully made VNs will be older then the general community here, and older then the anime community at large. I think age brings with it the ability to see larger projects through to completion... I know I couldn't have made Ren'Py 5 years ago.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Hime wrote:- Your ages
I'm an author, and I'm 30 (born in 1977).
Hime wrote:- The age structure of the (English) VN community
Actually I think that many people here are in their late twenties, so the average of the 40 or so active members will also be something like this. Around 25, probably, if it's summed up. But maybe higher. Who knows. :P

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#5 Post by Hime »

PyTom wrote:I'm a dirty old man of 28. It's weird to be at an anime con, and see people half your age.

I suspect that the community of people who have successfully made VNs will be older then the general community here, and older then the anime community at large. I think age brings with it the ability to see larger projects through to completion... I know I couldn't have made Ren'Py 5 years ago.
This is quite true. One of the things that also probably makes the VN community average older than the anime community one is that a big part of the younger audience has made many wrong predictions about VNs... Such as thinking that all of those would be hentai. (Oh, that prediction is just way too usual!) I thought a bit like that myself a couple of years ago, actually. But older people might not be making predictions that easily, and besides, even if they thought something like "it's all hentai", that might not always be a reason to stay way from VNs - sometimes, it might even be the opposite, who knows... Haha.

Another thing that I have noticed is that when I've been talking about VNs to people, mostly girls, they've many times said to me things like this: "Oh, I wish I could do something like that! Too bad that it's impossible..." They somehow think that if you can't program or you just aren't that familiar with computers, making a VN would be impossible. This is a thing that occurs especially among girls. Another thing that I thought when I was younger again - until I found Ren'Py. Young people give up with things like making a VN unexpectedly easily. And if they get to the stage of starting a project, they also too often give up when they face the first problem. This is why there are, for example, probably a lot more people making VNs at the age of 28 than at 14.
Myself, I'm one of those "people half your age" for PyTom. And I passionately hate being this young...

Ignosco
Veteran

#6 Post by Ignosco »

21... and hopefully I'll be an author soon. :wink:

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

Yay! People are making me feel young! I'm 26, born in 1980.
PyTom wrote:I think age brings with it the ability to see larger projects through to completion...
And yeah... I've started several game projects over the year, ranging from ones which got finished but were extremely simple (a three-level ASCII-art Jetpac clone when I was eleven or so) to ones which got so far as a basic engine and no further (platformer when I was 17 or so)... and I think MorningStar was probably the first I could actually call 'finished' to any real degree.

(I suspect it's also reasonable to assume that the average age of the community here is fairly high compared to most anime/gaming-centric forums, just on the grounds that we have such a high signal to noise ratio and very little bickering. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#8 Post by Enerccio »

18 :D
And played eroge even before this age :twisted: :P :lol:
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by EwanG »

Well, let's see... I'm 45 actually.

Don't know why, but I hadn't THOUGHT I was the old man of the board. Guess I was wrong...

Could someone hand me my cane so I can hobble out of the room please?

:D

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

Actually it's nice to see such a large span of ages in a community. Gives some sort of universality to the medium ^_^.
I'm 24.

GorillaKick
Regular

#11 Post by GorillaKick »

I'm 20 myself. Currently, I'm still working on my first major VN and a couple of side projects. Maybe when I'm PyTom's age I'll have my first game out!
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

GorillaKick wrote:Maybe when I'm PyTom's age I'll have my first game out!
You know, I'm not sure i like it when you phrase it like that. :-)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

GorillaKick
Regular

#13 Post by GorillaKick »

PyTom wrote:
GorillaKick wrote:Maybe when I'm PyTom's age I'll have my first game out!
You know, I'm not sure i like it when you phrase it like that. :-)
What? I can't compare myself to our resident guru? :]
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

mokenju1
Regular

#14 Post by mokenju1 »

Hime wrote:
Myself, I'm one of those "people half your age" for PyTom. And I passionately hate being this young...
I'm 25. And I have the feeling that someday you will remember your own words and you will laugh a lot. Being young is great. It's not easy, but is great. Believe me :wink: .

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#15 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Looks like I'm on the lower end of the spectrum, but I had already thought as much. I'm 19.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi