Renpy in Browser?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
exaltedexoskeleton

Renpy in Browser?

#1 Post by exaltedexoskeleton »

I know there was a thread a while ago on this topic ( http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 32&t=10328 ) but as near as I could tell it didn't work out. Is there any way to play a renpy game in an internet browser? There are programs to use python code in a browser, so maybe using one of them?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Renpy in Browser?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Right now, no. Those programs are still missing important features that would be needed to translate Ren'Py.

I have been looking at a port of Ren'Py to Chrome (only), simply because the native client technology would make porting much easier. But I'm not sure it will be worth the effort.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

exaltedexoskeleton

#3 Post by exaltedexoskeleton »

For me, it would be. I don't always want to deal with the hassle of download, especially for a demo but honestly for free games too. I also spend a lot of time on computers I can't download on. Like if I'm on a school computer and I'm just taking a few minutes away from homework, I'd love to play a scene from a Ren'Py game, but that's not an option unless I have it on USB or something.

Plus, regarding free games made by casual developers, a lot of people are wary of downloading stuff that's not 'official' in case it's a virus or something.

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#4 Post by Talann »

Hmm, that is quite a good idea actually. Since my internet only has 10 GB which means if I download things to a limit where it gets to 10 GB, I have to pay for my internet again. So right now, I can't even download any Ren'Py games or anything, which is very unfortunate for me... And I'm sure, like you said, if we're using another computer we could just play the game instead of having to download things.

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#5 Post by Anima »

Talann wrote:Hmm, that is quite a good idea actually. Since my internet only has 10 GB which means if I download things to a limit where it gets to 10 GB, I have to pay for my internet again. So right now, I can't even download any Ren'Py games or anything, which is very unfortunate for me... And I'm sure, like you said, if we're using another computer we could just play the game instead of having to download things.
A browser game would not really cut down on the data that needs to be downloaded. In some cases it might even increase the needed amount.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#6 Post by Talann »

@Anima- Oh, well that's unfortunate. Feeling dumb for not knowing that. Anyhow, it's still a good choice for many reasons. Or sometimes players have errors downloading games? ...And it also will decrease the amount of virus getting spread after all. But oh well, I'm happy with the way Ren'Py is for now, but it will also be a good choice too in that matter.

Elmiwisa
Veteran

#7 Post by Elmiwisa »

The browser might not explicitly said "download" but it still have to download those data nonetheless. All the media have to be downloaded, since there is no other way to show it to you. The script might not need to be downloaded if the server is willing to run it, but then again the script is measured in merely kilobyte which is miniscule compared to megabyte of media.
I think the only reason to run on a browser is for security concern. Ren'Py certainly have the capability for doing stuff to files, since that is needed for persistent data and save files. So perhaps someone can make a Ren'Py game that use these abilities to do bad stuff. I am not sure if Ren'Py have done anything to prevent it, so perhaps this is just me worrying too much. :?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#8 Post by jack_norton »

You can get virus/malware much more easily just browsing sites. I know this well when I used to check the pirate forums for cracked copies of my games (now I've given up). The only safe way was to disable javascript, but then at that point even browser games wouldn't work.
With the codesign stuff introduced by MS/Apple (so that the identity of the one who made the installer) is actually more safe to use downloads now, than browse online games sites.
As for the reduced download times, as other explained the data still needs to be downloaded. In some cases it can be stored on user HD, but in many other cases (for example if you clear the browser cache or visit the site after long time) I had to redownload it all completely, so if anything you use MORE bandwidth than less.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games