---

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

---

#1 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AWSalmon
Regular
Projects: The Human Reignition Project
Organization: AlienWorks Productions

Re: Use of sprite dolls

#2 Post by AWSalmon »

If my goal was to create a game directed towards the current EVN market, then I would try to look for alternatives since it's more likely that the people who play my VN have already seen those sprites and would be able to place them. But if you're trying to expand the market and are doing most of your advertising away from EVN dev groups or places where EVN players gather (like LSF), then I don't think it would be nearly as big of an issue.

But it's probably not that big of a deal even if your target audience is the EVN audience, since I think they generally tend to be more forgiving of that sort of thing.

If I were you and could afford it, though, I would avoid using pre-made sprites.
"We have cars that drive for us, services that shop for us, devices that speak for us, machines that clean and cook and work for us. You can't say that removing these things from our daily lives has no effect on the way we interact. As I speak, how many of you are working, or communicating with someone else? Could we do that twenty years ago? Ten? Society has changed very slowly throughout the course of human history, but in the span of only two generations, there have been more technology-driven societal advances than we can count."

"People everywhere are able to talk to others clear on the other side of the world, and we do this at the expense of interacting with others around us. We have our heads buried so deeply in our technology that we ignore our surroundings. Society is stretched far beyond what should be possible, thanks to technology. We have friends in other countries while we have strangers in our own homes."

The Human Reignition Project
AlienWorks.Recruiting@gmail.com

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

I certainly recognise them, but as long as your game is free and you've edited them to fit your setting it doesn't personally put me off playing it. It will probably bug a few people, and you can expect some confused comments from people who mistakenly think you've stolen the sprites from another game or vice-versa.

Custom is better if you can manage it, of course, and you may be able to find volunteers to help redo them after using those as placeholders?

DesertFox
Regular

#4 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

It's one of my pet peeves actually, I always go like "Oh, I've seen this sprite somewhere else" and skip it over because that other character in another game has stuck inside my head and I can't imagine him/her as someone else. I know a lot of people aren't like that, but unless the story premise interest me I won't bother looking at it.
Another quick question - What do you think of CG art that differs in style to the sprite art?
I don't mind, as long as the CGs are consistent.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#6 Post by Coren »

It may bug me a little, but not so much as to put me off playing an otherwise interesting game.

DesertFox
Regular

#7 Post by DesertFox »

---

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

The Tokudaya sprite looks better since it has better body proportions and I like the subtlety it has that the left sprite doesn't. Like really, who needs a silly hat AND an armband?? That and the skirt of the left sprite is ridiculously short.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#9 Post by Talann »

For some reason in my opinion I like the left sprite better, maybe it's because the Tokudoya art is used a lot? But, I also like the art style for the left sprite too... Just my opinion though.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#10 Post by chocojax »

I feel fine for both of them. One's very soft while the other is very bold/bright. Personally, the left might be better for a game like yours, since the right one is a little too soft looking for a war-game.

I-I liked the hat a lot, although I wonder where you got it from.

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#11 Post by latte »

I personally like the left one better. It's fresher than Tokudoya, bolder which is good for a game like yours, and simply more moe. The right one looks more fit for a otome game.

DesertFox
Regular

#12 Post by DesertFox »

---

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#13 Post by chocojax »

DesertFox wrote:This shouldn't sound too weird in the context of my game, otherwise it does, but which looks more Hitler-ish?
Like I said in my above post, the left one. I don't quite imagine Hitler to be a very nice, sweet-looking girl (right), so, yeah. More rash/bold, like the left.

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#14 Post by Talann »

Yep, just what I thought. The left one is just perfect for your game.

AWSalmon
Regular
Projects: The Human Reignition Project
Organization: AlienWorks Productions

#15 Post by AWSalmon »

Hey, do you need a sprite artist? I talked to ours just now and he seems like he'd be willing to draw sprites for you if you want to give that a try. We've kind of got him weighed down this month (we need seven sprites from him by October 1st), but I think moe dictators might be something up his alley. He's interested at least.

Here's a sprite he drew for us
http://i4.minus.com/i3oli40rM4upW.png

Sorry I can't upload just the sprite itself. Apparently min.us and imgur don't like transparent pngs.

Anyway if that's the style you think you want, PM me. He's not quite into the 'scene' yet so I don't want to risk him getting a bunch of messages from here sent to his DA.
"We have cars that drive for us, services that shop for us, devices that speak for us, machines that clean and cook and work for us. You can't say that removing these things from our daily lives has no effect on the way we interact. As I speak, how many of you are working, or communicating with someone else? Could we do that twenty years ago? Ten? Society has changed very slowly throughout the course of human history, but in the span of only two generations, there have been more technology-driven societal advances than we can count."

"People everywhere are able to talk to others clear on the other side of the world, and we do this at the expense of interacting with others around us. We have our heads buried so deeply in our technology that we ignore our surroundings. Society is stretched far beyond what should be possible, thanks to technology. We have friends in other countries while we have strangers in our own homes."

The Human Reignition Project
AlienWorks.Recruiting@gmail.com